• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connections at Clarbeston Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Tomorrow morning I will be transferring from the first train leaving Milford Haven to the train heading for Fishguard at Clarbeston Road about 0620. The trains arrive with a 2 minute gap IIRC. Is it do-able?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Very unlikely, IIRC it isn't the shortest of routes to get between platforms at Clarbeston Road, add in the station being a request stop.

Connections between the branches of West Wales are rubbish

Muzer

Established Member
In the working timetable, the Milford Haven train is booked to arrive at 06:17½, and the Fishguard Harbour to depart at 06:20 (which in practice means, if it's running on time, the doors will be closing around 06:19½). So if you're feeling lucky and think you can make the dash between the two platforms (which looks to involve a long ramp, around the middle of the arrival platform, up to the road overbridge and back down again), I suspect a young(ish), fit, and healthy person could make it in favourable conditions. If anything's running slightly late though, you'll likely be waiting an hour for the 07:20.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot it was a request stop. Yes, this could make it harder, as you'll want to be on the platform by the time the train is arriving so you can give a hand signal. Possibly still doable. I wouldn't make plans that revolve around me being able to do this connection!

Gathursty

Established Member
If I arrive early enough at Carmarthen, when I purchase my tickets, I could ask the ticket office to get a message to the guard/driver who will be on the Fishguard service to stop at Clarbeston Road for me and see what happens.

I would just be requesting a stop FAR in advance! :D

Gathursty

Established Member
Also, I could as a back up just get off at Clunderwen or Whitland to make the wait shorter and my itinery extended.

Gathursty

Established Member
The only way to make the 0720 Clarbeston Road - Fishguard service is to stay around Clarbeston Road

Hmmm, I'll prepare myself for an hour wait just in case. Does Clarbeston Road have a bench, shelter, 4G? :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hmmm, I'll prepare myself for an hour wait just in case. Does Clarbeston Road have a bench, shelter, 4G? :)

IIRC there is a bus shelter on both platforms, I think the mobile signal was decent (taken in May last year when I was on a South Wales Rover)

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
According to National Rail Enquiries' Stations Made Easy, there's a bus-shelter-style shelter on each platform, with a bus-shelter-style bench inside each. SME isn't always the most up-to-date, but I doubt they'd remove such a facility!

That matches the photos I look last March when I was there (sorry, can’t post them from here). Though there were Orange Army folks there that day painting things, so they may have done some other things too!

Edit: the picture in the post above looks to match the ones I took... The ramps start by the bus shelters on both sides, and the picture is taken from the road above, which should give you an idea of how far you need to run... 2 minutes should just be enough. Any less, probably not. Good luck!

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
The Fishguard train was already careering through the station as we arrived there. I waited an hour and the return service arrived, turfed everyone out, put Not In Service on it's board, drove off to the crossover and moved to the opposite platform, stopped for a second then drove off down the Fishguard branch leaving me massively p****d off!! However I don't know whether to vent my fury at the PIS showing the incorrect platform, or myself for not asking the guard and double-checking the Fishguard train was going to leave from the platform it arrived.

All was not lost. I did the 1826 Clarbeston Road - Fishguard and return which I may trip report later. :)

Muzer

Established Member
The Fishguard train was already careering through the station as we arrived there. I waited an hour and the return service arrived, turfed everyone out, put Not In Service on it's board, drove off to the crossover and moved to the opposite platform, stopped for a second then drove off down the Fishguard branch leaving me massively p****d off!! However I don't know whether to vent my fury at the PIS showing the incorrect platform, or myself for not asking the guard and double-checking the Fishguard train was going to leave from the platform it arrived.
Be sure to claim delay repay for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.