• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Construction progress: TPE 350/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goatboy

Established Member
Ugly looking things the 350's - one has to wonder why as it wouldn't have been particularly difficult to improve on the front end given it's pretty much just the headlights that stop it looking good.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Ugly looking things the 350's - one has to wonder why as it wouldn't have been particularly difficult to improve on the front end given it's pretty much just the headlights that stop it looking good.

I happen to like the 350/444/450 front end. It's difficult to make a train with a corridor connection look good and Siemens haven't done that bad a job.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't know whether or not my age (68) is affecting my eyesight, but does the front-end of these new units resemble the old British Rail class 123 units ?

I see what you mean, they look a little like the 123's grandchildren or something. Quite fitting if they ever find their way onto North Transpennine services!

Manchester77

Established Member
Livery seems to be slightly different to the one the 350/1s origanally wore. Also it seems the moquette is plain black / dark blue? Look nice though look forward to watch them under go testing and finally enter service : D

Goatboy

Established Member
I happen to like the 350/444/450 front end. It's difficult to make a train with a corridor connection look good and Siemens haven't done that bad a job.

It's not that hard - 158/159 and the 172 are examples of great looking trains with corridor connections.

WestCountry

It's not that hard - 158/159 and the 172 are examples of great looking trains with corridor connections.
158s are definitely good-looking (at least when the fornt end isn't just painted plain yellow all over). I have to disagree on the 172s though, they look like an ungainly mess of mismatched styles and components... :|

RobShipway

Established Member
Having travelled on both the similar 450 and similar 360/2 units used for Heathrow Connect they are well built units which have a smooth ride to them. I would expect the same ride experience would be the same with the 350's as well.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Where will the trains be tested in this country?

These will come over here and then enter service pretty much. No real tests over here as they will all be done using the current 350's that London Midland have. Driver training will also be done in the London Midland units. Some tests will no doubt take place though, especially if they arrive early!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There's no significant running in necessary in UK, because the Wildenwrath test track facility allows Siemens units to achieve mileage accumulation at a reasonable continuous speed. OTOH I don't think Bombardier have more than a few hundred yards of siding to play with.

Certainly don't recall the last 450s doing much mileage between arrival and entering service...

WatcherZero

Established Member
They went to the expense of building a British 3rd rail electrification there though I cant remember what class it was for.

MCR247

Established Member
I seem to remember then using a Mk1 EMU for something, or am I just making that up??

455driver

Veteran Member
I seem to remember then using a Mk1 EMU for something, or am I just making that up??

No you are correct, they fitted some monitoring equipment to a slammer, ran it around over here so they could measure how "dirty" the 3rd rail supply was and then shipped it over to Germany so they could set up the 3rd rail over there to replicate what we actually have over here.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No you are correct, they fitted some monitoring equipment to a slammer, ran it around over here so they could measure how "dirty" the 3rd rail supply was and then shipped it over to Germany so they could set up the 3rd rail over there to replicate what we actually have over here.

I have visions of them laying a beautiful new third rail then bashing it with big hammers and smashing some of the pots to make it resemble that on the Southern!

455driver

Veteran Member
I have visions of them laying a beautiful new third rail then bashing it with big hammers and smashing some of the pots to make it resemble that on the Southern!

Where is the "like" button when you need it! :lol:

Class377/5

Established Member

They laid the 3rd rail in derogated UK state to test the units.

Testing at Wildenrath counts towards the commissioning of units as NR has signed it off to UK specs for testing of units.

Class 92

What docks will the new 350s be delived to and will they be moved by rail up to Ardwick?

Status
Not open for further replies.