• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Construction starts at Newcourt Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidash

Aloha!

Went down to Exmouth for the first time in a while yesterday, and saw that work has now started on the station at Newcourt, with diggers and various other bits of machinery already active.

There was a gaggle of FGW managers on the service, several of whom were quite excited about it. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Good news, thanks Rapidash for the information.

This was one of the successful bidders for a share of the DfT's new station fund, along with Pye Corner, Ilkeston (both also under construction), and Lea Bridge in London. I have a feeling that Kenilworth was also awarded funds?

Presumably Newcourt will open in May 2015 (?) and if it performs anything like the nearby Digby and Sowton (which was opened in the 90's) it'll be a runaway success......

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone in that part of the world know what is happening with Cranbrook? Last I read online was that a Jan 2015 opening date was being aimed for?

455driver

Veteran Member

This was one of the successful bidders for a share of the DfT's new station fund, along with Pye Corner, Ilkeston (both also under construction), and Lea Bridge in London. I have a feeling that Kenilworth was also awarded funds?

Presumably Newcourt will open in May 2015 (?) and if it performs anything like the nearby Digby and Sowton (which was opened in the 90's) it'll be a runaway success......

If it is then the train service will be under even more pressure, the service is buckling already so how a load more passengers would manage to squeeze on the trains is anyones guess.

TEW

Established Member
I thought that the planned opening was December 2014. Not much time left now if that is to be met.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can't remember the exact dates, but didn't James Cook only take about 12 weeks from ground clearance to opening, with a bit of tidying up still going on once trains started calling?

December could be possible if they are lucky with the weather...

Rapidash

If it is then the train service will be under even more pressure, the service is buckling already so how a load more passengers would manage to squeeze on the trains is anyones guess.

Care to imagine what it will be like when Marsh Barton is built? It'll outperform Digby in a few years I suspect.

There's a steady push for the likes of Exeter to get bigger over the next few decades, so hopefully someone gets the hint and expands and enhances the Metro accordingly.

davetheguard

Established Member

I think the section of line north from Topsham to Exmouth Junction was once double track and Exmouth station itself had multiple platforms.

I wonder if some of this could be re-instated (perhaps as a loop half way between Topsham & Exmouth Junction) would that be enough to run a train every twenty minutes on the branch; or would another passing loop also be needed between Topsham & Exmouth?

fgwrich

Established Member
I think the section of line north from Topsham to Exmouth Junction was once double track and Exmouth station itself had multiple platforms.

I wonder if some of this could be re-instated (perhaps as a loop half way between Topsham & Exmouth Junction) would that be enough to run a train every twenty minutes on the branch; or would another passing loop also be needed between Topsham & Exmouth?

It indeed was - Polsloe Bridge can still accommodate double track, Digby cannot as being a new station on a single track was built across the formation (I wonder if there are any plans to extend/work on it in time for the Rugby World Cup next year? Exeter Chiefs Sandy Park is one of the grounds), I've not seen any plans for Newcourt and Topsham could just about be done - since the line was singled and slewed, there has been some development on the River Exe side of Topsham / edging on the Up line. There does just about look like enough to squeeze in another track though, and the original bridge does remain. All this bearing in mind, could a similar set up to the Borders Railway work, with 2tph to Exmouth and 1/2 terminators at Topsham to soak up some of the demand of Digby?

Last edited:

bluenoxid

Established Member
Can't remember the exact dates, but didn't James Cook only take about 12 weeks from ground clearance to opening, with a bit of tidying up still going on once trains started calling?

December could be possible if they are lucky with the weather...

December was the target when they announced the start of construction. Any delays don't tend to get published until fairly late on or a few months after the issue was found.

2015 is set to be an exciting year for rail station reopenings.

starrymarkb

Established Member
There are aspirations for a 20 min service to Exmouth. Not sure how they'll do it but there were plans to rebuilt Exmouth as a 2 track station as part of a waterfront development (which was abandoned because ASDA were too down market for the town NIMBYS)

The Ham

Established Member

It was also part funded by local development.

With the possibility of IKEA building a new store nearby I could see the line seeing a LOT of extra passengers.

Rapidash

It was also part funded by local development.

With the possibility of IKEA building a new store nearby I could see the line seeing a LOT of extra passengers.

Indeed, I'd put good money on both this and Marsh Barton getting good numbers. Hopefully by the time MB is built in a few years there will be some extra carriages bouncing around.

Not so sure about Edginswell, due to its comparative closeness to Torre. I suppose the good people of Barton might find it a bit easier to get to though!

michael74

I think Edginswell could do well, if you think of the footfall from Shiphay and the Willows (a good 20 minutes walk form Torre) and the hospital, it may prove to be a commuter halt but I think a valuable one.

Rapidash

I think Edginswell could do well, if you think of the footfall from Shiphay and the Willows (a good 20 minutes walk form Torre) and the hospital, it may prove to be a commuter halt but I think a valuable one.

True that. And the council is angling for more housing up that end of town as well.

Passed by Cranbrook the other day - still a fair amount of levelling work going on, but no sign of platforms. Car park looks to be finished, though.

455driver

Veteran Member
Lots of poured concrete squares on site now.

That is-
dig a square hole,
put some rebar in the hole,
pour some concrete into hole,
go to pub for a pint or 3.

Rapidash

Express and Error

THE completion of the new station being developed at Newcourt on the Exmouth line has been delayed until early in the new year, according to partners involved in the project.

The start of construction work at Newcourt Station has been progressing well in recent weeks.

However, following some delays at the outset of the project and a number of combined difficulties during the design and build construction contract being undertaken by local contractors Dyer and Butler, it has become clear that the new station will not be ready for operation at the end of December as originally planned.

It is anticipated that the station will not be open until March.

Oh well.

bluenoxid

Established Member
How is work going at Cranbrook? There were hopes that it would be open in Jan 2015. The new SWT timetable is suggesting Spring 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.