• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contactless Revenue Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainrider22

Hi all

I have a question about a journey I made today.

I was travelling from Luton airport parkway to London Bridge today. Whilst on the train, a revenue inspector was inspecting tickets so I presented my contactless card which they scanned. When I got home, I checked my TFL app and realised that the tap-in at Luton airport parkway had not registered (my tap-out at London Bridge had registered successfully). All of the barriers were open at Luton airport parkway and I had headphones in so I assume I did not realise that my card tap hadn't registered.

Will I now be liable for a fine ? Or will I just need to pay a maximum journey fee ? I didn't need to give any details to the inspector obviously as my card successfully scanned on the reader. The train was operated by thameslink but the revenue inspection is showing in my TFL app.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
What was the reason you tried to touch in with a contactless card at Luton Airport Parkway? How often do you travel to or from that station? What sort of card reader did you use - was there a sticker on it that you recognised? Any coloured lights?

Or in other words, what had made you think it was a valid thing to do?

Did the inspector ask where you began your journey? Whereabouts on the journey did the inspection occur?

trainrider22

furlong

Established Member
If you do this journey regularly, then hopefully they'll have no problem making this correction for you. For future, you need to train yourself to look at the coloured lights and any message displayed.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I concur with the above advice, except that you may not be able to get through to someone on the helpline. TfL prefer contact to be made via the webform on your contactless account. Check tomorrow morning and see what your history says. You may have the option to tell them where you started the journey, or you may find that if you regularly start at Luton Airport Parkway they may have auto completed the journey already.

If neither of the above apply then follow the advice on my site under https://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/journey-history-and-queries/ to initiate contact.

trainrider22

Ok thanks.
I just wanted to confirm if it is possible for me to receive a fine due to the fact that my card wasn't tapped in at the time that the inspector checked it. They didn't ask for any personal details or address so I assume that the only thing that could possibly happen is a a maximum fare charge ?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ok thanks.
I just wanted to confirm if it is possible for me to receive a fine due to the fact that my card wasn't tapped in at the time that the inspector checked it. They didn't ask for any personal details or address so I assume that the only thing that could possibly happen is a a maximum fare charge ?
You won't receive a fine or anything more than a maximum fare. If you do it 3 times on the same card it will be blacklisted.

trainrider22

Sorry, one last query.
You won't receive a fine or anything more than a maximum fare. If you do it 3 times on the same card it will be blacklisted.
I assume the above still applies even though I was travelling on a Thameslink train (but within London, hence the "TFL" revenue inspection)

Thanks !

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes. The entire contactless system is operated by TfL on behalf of the NR TOCs. Only one company can operate a contactless transit system at any station and TfL got there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.