• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contactless travel query

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I travelled to Reading on TfL Rail using contactless (tapping in and out ala Oyster)
However no charge is showing on my bank account, and when I've logged into my TfL account nothing is showing on my journey history.
Is this normal? I'd have thought tapping in would have added a £1 authorisation like pay @ pump petrol stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I travelled to Reading on TfL Rail using contactless (tapping in and out ala Oyster)
However no charge is showing on my bank account, and when I've logged into my TfL account nothing is showing on my journey history.
Is this normal? I'd have thought tapping in would have added a £1 authorisation like pay @ pump petrol stations?
When was the journey?

If it was today then it won't get charged until tomorrow (early hours). On your TfL account dashboard page there is a section for "today's travel" which tries to predict what your charges will be. TfL do authorise on first touch in when the card hasn't been used since the last authorisation expired. They don't always authorise an amount though; mine are always £0.00 these days.

cactustwirly

Established Member
When was the journey?

If it was today then it won't get charged until tomorrow (early hours). On your TfL account dashboard page there is a section for "today's travel" which tries to predict what your charges will be. TfL do authorise on first touch in when the card hasn't been used since the last authorisation expired. They don't always authorise an amount though; mine are always £0.00 these days.

It was earlier today.
Nothing shows on my journey history either.
This was the first time I've used the card for over a year as well.

Non Multi

I've had that same issue occur to me once last year. The app didn't show anything until the next day. Don't panic.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It was earlier today.
Nothing shows on my journey history either.
This was the first time I've used the card for over a year as well.
It won't show on journey history until tomorrow. If it's not showing under today's travel then there's probably a glitch with accessing the online database. Check again tomorrow.

Edit: Is it the same physical card as when you last used it, or has your bank replaced the card for some reason? You may need to add the new card if it's been replaced.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It won't show on journey history until tomorrow. If it's not showing under today's travel then there's probably a glitch with accessing the online database. Check again tomorrow.

Edit: Is it the same physical card as when you last used it, or has your bank replaced the card for some reason? You may need to add the new card if it's been replaced.

It's the same card.
I don't really use contactless, because a paper travel card is cheaper, for trips to London.
I only used it this time, as I was late and didn't have enough time to queue at the TVM

Status
Not open for further replies.