• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contingency travel options to London during a strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
As the title says, as I've already booked a train ticket to go to London with a non refundable hotel booking which would be a big hit to take if I cancel so have no option but to complete it.

In the event of a strike on the day I'm going, I'm considering several options National Express, Megabus or driving and parking my car outside London then bus it inward.

Did anyone park outside London and bus it in, where was the best place to do it ?

If the strike happens I would be looking to get a refund from LNWR, I wonder how difficult that would be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've never done it so can't think of specific locations, but parking somewhere in the outer reaches of the Tube may not be a bad bet (the Tube isn't affected except any stretches operated by Network Rail e.g. Harrow). One option from Merseyside would be to go down the M40 (a far nicer way to drive to London from the North than the M1) and choose somewhere along the Metropolitan Line. Chesham may not be a bad bet, it's £5/day though I don't know if you can park overnight (as you can't at Merseyrail stations so LU may be the same) so you might need to check. It's a small town so you can probably find on-street parking for nowt if you don't mind a walk.

I think if you want to go by coach capacity will be in such demand that you'd need to book it now and bin it if trains run, so I'd be planning for the car option.

bangor-toad

Hi,
One option that give you some flexibility would be drive to Oxford and park in the Thornhill park and ride. Then get the Oxford Tube coach into London. From what I remember, the Oxford Tube comes into the Park and Ride so it's really straightforward.

The park and ride limits you to a max 72 hour stay (for £12 total).
Oxford Park and Ride

The Oxford Tube is very frequent. You can prebook for a cheaper far but you can just get the next one.
Oxford Tube

Have a good trip,
Mr Toad

Vespa

Established Member
I'll be there for a week so on street options would be better somewhere stealthy so I wouldn't get noticed, I don't mind driving down at stupid o'clock to park up.

Couple of good options so far....

I take a few more if you any of you guys have any more suggestions.

:)

westv

Established Member
As the title says, as I've already booked a train ticket to go to London with a non refundable hotel booking which would be a big hit to take if I cancel so have no option but to complete it.
Presumably it's not a hotel where you can move the booking?

Vespa

Established Member
Presumably it's not a hotel where you can move the booking?
More a case of not being able to move the holiday.

In my job all leave are booked in blocks a year in advance to allow enough drivers to be available.

ChrisC

Established Member
I'll be there for a week so on street options would be better somewhere stealthy so I wouldn't get noticed, I don't mind driving down at stupid o'clock to park up.

Couple of good options so far....

I take a few more if you any of you guys have any more suggestions.

:)
I understand what you mean about finding somewhere stealthy where you wouldn’t get noticed. Obviously you also need to find somewhere that feels safe to leave your car for a week. I would suggest a street that would be fairly busy with regular on street parking day and night with lots of comings and goings. Where I live, although admittedly a fairly rural location lots of people park up and leave their car all day whilst going off walking. However, if an unknown car was to be parked up and left overnight, especially for more than one night, people living nearby would, after a few days be questioning if it had been stolen or abandoned for some reason.

Vespa

Established Member
I understand what you mean about finding somewhere stealthy where you wouldn’t get noticed. Obviously you also need to find somewhere that feels safe to leave your car for a week. I would suggest a street that would be fairly busy with regular on street parking day and night with lots of comings and goings. Where I live, although admittedly a fairly rural location lots of people park up and leave their car all day whilst going off walking. However, if an unknown car was to be parked up and left overnight, especially for more than one night, people living nearby would, after a few days be questioning if it had been stolen or abandoned for some reason.
I agree, I think I might have spotted just such a street on streetview in a residential area but not far from the tube station with houses on one side and parking on both sides, I can park opposite and they would assume it's one of the neighbours car.:)

I think if you want to go by coach capacity will be in such demand that you'd need to book it now and bin it if trains run, so I'd be planning for the car option.

Others no doubt know more about coach travel than I do, but it appears that National Express give you the option to buy fully-refundable tickets, so it could be worth buying one of those as a back-up option without risk of losing money if you don't use it.

james4578

The only alternative to the train would be a plane for me(been disruption there and not particularly keen on Easyjet whilst BA prices shot up) not driving and dislike long Bus journeys (coming from Glasgow) . I do have a flexible hotel in July but not Booked travel yet as there was some uncertainty previously and then obviously heard about the strike ballots. Now hearing that the earliest indicative schedule will be given is 7 June whilst talks continue https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/update-on-national-rail-dispute/ Do not think I can wait that long and so will need to book something meantime ,imagine would be able to either reschedule or receive refunds on trains anyway.

Vespa

Established Member
With the strike dates announced with one of them being 25th June, I will be looking closer at my options, I don't know how it will unfold on the 25th either a whole day strike or ending early morning 25th, until then I may either refund my return portion and get the national express up North if any available or risk it.

A couple of questions, can you claim delay repay for strike days ?

Can you use the 25th return dated ticket for the next day 26th if the train didn't run on the 25th ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A couple of questions, can you claim delay repay for strike days ?

No. Or rather you can't claim it for the result of the strike, but if any trains do run and are delayed you can claim it on those.

Can you use the 25th return dated ticket for the next day 26th if the train didn't run on the 25th ?

Generally yes, though you'll need to see what is announced; if a usable service does run this may not be offered.

Vespa

Established Member
Rightio, considering my options now drive or coach.

Will see how it plays out later in the week if it looks like it's going ahead I may well consider refunding my tickets and drive.

Class800

Established Member

In the event of a strike on the day I'm going, I'm considering several options National Express, Megabus or driving and parking my car outside London then bus it inward.

Did anyone park outside London and bus it in, where was the best place to do it ?

If the strike happens I would be looking to get a refund from LNWR, I wonder how difficult that would be.
If tube running, look at parking at Stanmore.

Class800

Established Member
What's parking like round Stanmore ?
Thanks
It's known to be a common place for e.g. Liverpool/Man Utd fans to drive to on way to Wembley. It's commonly used as a place to park. Not been myself. Think it's pretty suburban. And plenty of street parking.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It's known to be a common place for e.g. Liverpool/Man Utd fans to drive to on way to Wembley. It's commonly used as a place to park. Not been myself. Think it's pretty suburban. And plenty of street parking.

It is high class suburbia , but with probably parking restrictions. A major issue over the years locally. Try using the station car park to prevent "issues" .....

Vespa

Established Member
Did some number crunching, it worked out it will cost me £40 to drive to Chesham as oppossed to my £25 return LNWR advanced ticket.

All in all about £80 return in the car, may have to bite the bullet otherwise losing my hotel booking would be a big hit to take as its non refundable.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can’t think of any logical reason why you’d drive to Chesham if you’re coming down the M40/A40, you’d go to Hillingdon or Ickenham which are both just off the A40 at Ickenham Circus junction. You are permitted to park overnight in both station car parks.

If it’s on a weekday, Ickenham is cheaper, and on weekends, Hillingdon is cheaper. You can also buy a weekly season ticket, if you’re going to be there long enough. Ickenham is cheaper than Hillingdon in this case, Ickenham is probably about 3 minutes further drive off the A40.

Stanmore has a massive car park as well which is well located for the M1 and A1, although if your location is correct you’re probably better off on the M40 routes, again, if you prefer this it has a weekly season available.

None of the stations have reasonable free on street parking in the vicinity, it’s either single yellows, pay and display, or resident’s permit.

Vespa

Established Member
I can’t think of any logical reason why you’d drive to Chesham if you’re coming down the M40/A40, you’d go to Hillingdon or Ickenham which are both just off the A40 at Ickenham Circus junction. You are permitted to park overnight in both station car parks.

If it’s on a weekday, Ickenham is cheaper, and on weekends, Hillingdon is cheaper. You can also buy a weekly season ticket, Ickenham is cheaper than Hillingdon in this case, Ickenham is probably about 3 minutes further drive off the A40.

Stanmore has a massive car park as well which is well located for the M1 and A1, although if your location is correct you’re probably better off on the M40 routes, again, if you prefer this it has a weekly season available
Are they close to the London underground station ?

Vespa

Established Member
Yes at all three places I’m referring to the official station car parks.
Thank you for your help :)

I've got a week to see how it goes, if it isn't called off I will refund my LNWR ticket and drive down instead.

***Edit to add further information which would be useful for others.

It appears I can use my advance ticket the next day of the strike, if I refund my entire ticket which costs me £25 with railcard I lose £10 in admin except for the ticket on the 25th saturday which can be refunded with no admin charge, I would have to stay overnight at Euston to hopefully catch a Sunday train unless I get a coach back up North.

Not really much of an option, either way driving down or train I lose out, I would lose even more as my hotel is non refundable.

***Final edit 10th June 2022***

Finally decided my course of action.

This is my strike contingency plan. travel down to London 19th June, a non strike day.

25th June booked a Megabus ticket back to Liverpool as a back up £18 if the strike still go ahead which is looking likely, I will claim a refund on my return portion of the LNWR ticket.

I've had to cancel booked three night hotel in the Midland region for a mini break after getting back to Liverpool the strike has thrown all that out of kilter as a consequence.

In the end booking a return Megabus works out cheaper than driving or booking an extra night hotel room in London and if I get my refund, it will be cost neutral, it will just take longer to get back, I'm going to have my holiday come hell or high water :)

Thank you all for your contribution and offers of advice, its appreciated.:)

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
My tip is Seer Green & Jordans or if you'd like somewhere less adventurous, Denham or indeed Ickenham.

The M40 gives you lots of good options:
Bicester, Banbury, Haddenham & Thame Parkway, Aylesbury Vale Parkway etc...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My tip is Seer Green & Jordans or if you'd like somewhere less adventurous, Denham or indeed Ickenham.
Unless Im missing something, this thread is about options during a National Rail (but not LU) strike, meaning that most of your options won’t be available.

westv

Established Member
Answer not needed now I think so I'll ask another time.

Last edited:

sammyg901

If anyone else needs ideas then Aylesbury Vale Parkway is a good option if it's convenient for you - very cheap parking for a "proper" station car park and has an hourly service to London every day during the strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.