• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Continuing driver shortages on Great Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
It is almost five years since GTR took over Great Northern, and we’ve been told endlessly how they’ve embarked on massive efforts to recruit and train drivers - and yet, we’re still seeing driver shortages on an almost daily basis resulting in cancelled trains.

For example, yesterday they were saying there would be shortages from 12 noon, and I see just now they are again saying there will be shortages tomorrow - yes, on a Monday! - after 12 noon...

Are we just expected to put up with this for the rest of time? And while I see other TOCs have issues from time to time, why does GN have such a long-running problem that never seems to get properly fixed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwenB

Particularly annoying that the information page on the website calls it a "short term unavailability of train crew". That really makes my blood boil when it's been an issue for years.

Knowledgeboy

They had a recruitment campaign back in March 2018. I applied for Hornsey. Passed everything but no positions and have been waiting patiently in a talent pool ever since. Last correspondence I had was told unlikely to be any openings in 2019 either. If you hear or know anything please do let me know!

MikeWM

Established Member
Last Kings Cross to Kings Lynn cancelled again tonight.

I know I keep on making this point, but I really shouldn't have to. As someone who used to rely on last trains - which was never a problem with FCC, whatever other issues they may have had - I continue to find the cavalier attitude GN seem to have to running last trains really rather alarming.

bramling

Veteran Member
Last KGX to KLN cancelled again tonight.

I know I keep on making this point, but I really shouldn't have to. As someone who used to rely on last trains - which was never a problem with FCC, whatever other issues they may have had - I continue to find the cavalier attitude GN seem to have to running last trains really rather alarming.

From casual observation of departure boards, the last Horsham to Peterborough ShamblesLink/ (9W90) also seems to get cancelled rather a lot. Obviously not good should someone be relying on it, although there are alternatives of sorts.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It really is quite a disgraceful situation. GTR have held the franchise for five years. They claim they were short of drivers when they took over and keep telling us they're operating the largest ever recruitment campaign in the history of the railway.

But the shortages never seem to go away......

matt_world2004

Established Member
I wonder if gtr are deliberately running dowb the franchise in anticipation of a tfl takeover

railfan100

On Moderation
Can they not advertise for qualified's and get people onboard quite quickly? Not sure why this is still a problem? Maybe I am missing something?

hwl

Established Member
Can they not advertise for qualified's and get people onboard quite quickly? Not sure why this is still a problem? Maybe I am missing something?
The problem is that everywhere needs more drivers and LNER/VTWC never train they own they recruit from others so GN always lose drivers to LNER.

The other issue is that GN need more drivers and lots of training for exsiting drivers need training (taking time out for training also increases the driver requirement...) and also limits resources as regards training new drivers.

And then there are the driver depot alterations as regards Thameslink

theking

Because the uniform has better pockets?

Perhaps GN should pay their drivers more to retain them?

According to the Aslef site they'll be on £63k plus more for sundays, so i don't dont think pay is a problem as that is one of the highest for commuter driving in the country.

You could probably offer 70k and thr drivers going to LNER would still move as they just want to drive intercity or have aspired to that job.

387star

On Moderation
It is almost five years since GTR took over Great Northern, and we’ve been told endlessly how they’ve embarked on massive efforts to recruit and train drivers - and yet, we’re still seeing driver shortages on an almost daily basis resulting in cancelled trains.

For example, yesterday they were saying there would be shortages from 12 noon, and I see just now they are again saying there will be shortages tomorrow - yes, on a Monday! - after 12 noon...

Are we just expected to put up with this for the rest of time? And while I see other TOCs have issues from time to time, why does GN have such a long-running problem that never seems to get properly fixed?
Strange as huge numbers have been recruited

387star

On Moderation
From casual observation of departure boards, the last Horsham to Peterborough ShamblesLink/ (9W90) also seems to get cancelled rather a lot. Obviously not good should someone be relying on it, although there are alternatives of sorts.
Runs via streatham so requires south London diversionary knowledge. Most at Horsham sign that now but not sure about Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.