• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conversion of Former NR Line to Moorgate into a Siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
A picture from the Disused Stations group on Facebook (credit to Keith Ward) shows a timeline form the conversion of the ex-National Rail branch from Farringdon to Moorgate into sidings for London Underground.
There would be space for 12 S-stock (both S7 and S8) units. That includes 8 on the former NR line, 2 in other platforms at Moorgate and 2 emergency berths at the Farringdon end of the line. A mess room would also be built at Barbican.
It would be mainly used for the stabling of Circle and Hammersmith & City Line stock to enable earlier first trains through Central London.
The timeline suggests that it would be finished by July 2020.

Attachments

• 48419973_10216042318838174_2045223594828496896_n.jpg
    48419973_10216042318838174_2045223594828496896_n.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 276
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
TfL slide said:
  • All Train Operator boarding / alighting points for normal berths in platforms

Finally it makes sense! I've been wondering for quite some time why so much apparently-useful space was supposedly wasted.

Does anyone know whether these tracks and platforms will be passenger-rated? Even if it's just for tipping out during disruption, it would be useful.

bramling

Veteran Member
Will Moorgate platforms 3 and 4 still be useable in passenger service? Would seem odd to get rid of a useful "tip out and bounce back".

AIUI they remain effectively untouched. As you say they’re a useful and well-used recovery facility. In any case they can already be used to stable trains if necessary.

Many Met Line users might prefer them to be lost as a turnback though - no doubt the bane of many a commuters life to hear “due to late running this train now terminates at Moorgate”! (or find their chosen service going north is missing at Aldgate because it’s been turned short).

rebmcr

Established Member
Will Moorgate platforms 3 and 4 still be useable in passenger service? Would seem odd to get rid of a useful "tip out and bounce back".

The scheme concerns Moorgate platforms 5 and 6 — not much changing on 3 and 4.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is it likely there’ll be some sort of barrier at the back of the Barbican island to diffentiate between public area and the stabling?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought there already was. I don't think that the public has access to the ex-Thameslink platforms at the moment.
The platform towards Moorgate is an island shared with the Inner Rail Met/C&H and accordingly access is still possible.

Northbound Thameslink trains stopped calling at Barbican station in the mid 1990s and access to the platform from the footbridge was for staff only.

Esker-pades

Established Member
The platform towards Moorgate is an island shared with the Inner Rail Met/C&H and accordingly access is still possible.

Northbound Thameslink trains stopped calling at Barbican station in the mid 1990s and access to the platform from the footbridge was for staff only.
Thanks. I was aware of the Moorgate situation, but I've only really passed through Barbican and not had the chance to have a good look. Does that mean that access to the other half of the Barbican island (the ex-Southbound Thameslink platform) is still possible?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks. I was aware of the Moorgate situation, but I've only really passed through Barbican and not had the chance to have a good look. Does that mean that access to the other half of the Barbican island (the ex-Southbound Thameslink platform) is still possible?
Yes of course, it's an island platform and there are no barriers across it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think last time I was at Barbican there were some security gates at the actual tunnel mouths, but there was nothing stopping access to the disused platform edge. Don’t know if Crossrail work site hoardings have altered that at all.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I imagine they'll build a wall down the platform at Barbican like the one at the old Kings Cross Thameslink northbound platform, which was also an island before the LU station moved to its present site (a long time ago). Last time I looked the western end of the former platforms and the tunnel portal were still boarded up for a Crossrail access shaft on the trackbed, but this will be filled/capped.

Muzer

Established Member
Nice! Can't wait for Branch Line Society or someone to organise a railtour ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.