• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Converting a terminus station into a through one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle

Established Member
Was the current Bournemouth station always a through Station?

The exact history of the various routes through Poole and Bournemouth built at different times by the LSWR is a bit difficult to follow, but I'm pretty sure that Bournemouth Central (formerly Bournemouth East) was always a through station—originally on the line down from Ringwood, the infamous "Castleman Corkscrew", and later on the cutoff line via New Milton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
I don't know if these count but what about London underground stations that's came through stations. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Hampstead
Highgate (now archway)
Finsbury Park
Clapham Common
Liverpool Street
Baker Street
Wood Lane
Sherpards Bush(?)

Anyone think of any others?

D6975

Established Member
How about the north end of the East London line. Rebuilt just a couple of years ago it was a terminus at Dalston Jn, now it's a through station again.

And in Northern Ireland, the Larne branch used to run into a terminus next to the depot in Belfast until being converted into a through station so that trains could continue on to Central.

ert47

Wasnt Crystal Palace originally a terminus? (not talking about the high level station that closed ages ago)

Firesprite

The exact history of the various routes through Poole and Bournemouth built at different times by the LSWR is a bit difficult to follow, but I'm pretty sure that Bournemouth Central (formerly Bournemouth East) was always a through station—originally on the line down from Ringwood, the infamous "Castleman Corkscrew", and later on the cutoff line via New Milton.

The original Bournemouth East Terminus (1870 to 1885) was on the other side of the Holdenhurst Road bridge on the area now used by B&Q and was replaced by the new through station in 1885 when the line through to Branksome was opened,

Rich_D3167

On a similar note, Cleethorpes station was designed to be a through station (hence the main (now former) station building is on the side of Platform 1, rather than at the end of all platforms), which would have linked with the Mablethorpe to Louth line just north of Mablethorpe. Obviously, this never happened, but it was the original intention. Would be slightly difficult to build it now with the amount of buildings & obstacles in the way along Cleethorpes sea front! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.