• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Converting a terminus station into a through one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Has anyone heard of something like this being done before in the UK? At present in Stuttgart, they are in the process of changing the layout of the station so that they can run trains through the station, instead of the current situation where trains have to reverse. I'm not aware of anything like this in the UK, apart from say low level platforms at stations such as Liverpool Lime Street, Glasgow Central or St. Pancras.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

Not sure if this counts, but Liverpool street and paddington will have through running from some destinations once crossrail opens. Possibly, not exactly what you mean though.

transmanche

Established Member
Not sure if this counts, but Liverpool street and paddington will have through running from some destinations once crossrail opens. Possibly, not exactly what you mean though.
Given the examples of low-level stations given by the OP, I'd say that's exactly what he didn't mean. However, Paddington may still count - as it was partially converted to a through station when the Met arrived in 1863.

How about Newcastle Central? Was that built as a unidirectional station? (Everything from the south had to come via the High Level Bridge and reverse, until the King Edward VII Bridge was built.)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I suppose you're really thinking of major termini.
Ardrie and Bathgate were both converted from terminal to through stations recently but I'll guess you're thinking more of the likes of Waterloo (to Waterloo East) or Watford (though the Croxley link diverges before the terminus).

MacCookie

I suppose you're really thinking of major termini.
Ardrie and Bathgate were both converted from terminal to through stations recently

Airdrie was already a through station and Bathgate was relocated from where it was situated as a terminus station.

Ewan

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Has anyone heard of something like this being done before in the UK? At present in Stuttgart, they are in the process of changing the layout of the station so that they can run trains through the station, instead of the current situation where trains have to reverse. I'm not aware of anything like this in the UK, apart from say low level platforms at stations such as Liverpool Lime Street, Glasgow Central or St. Pancras.

Birmingham (Curzon St replaced by New St).
Newcastle (when King Edward Bridge opened).
Bristol TM (linking GW/Midland/Exeter lines)
100-150 years ago, mind.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How about Newcastle Central? Was that built as a unidirectional station? (Everything from the south had to come via the High Level Bridge and reverse, until the King Edward VII Bridge was built.)

Newcastle (as built) was basically two back to back termini. The Newcastle and Carlisle had the western half, but the southmost platforms were provided with a through line on opening.

My source (NERA's High Level and Central Stn 150th Anniversary) reckons that there is doubt about whether any through services ran initially...

transmanche

Established Member
Newcastle (when King Edward Bridge opened).
Although, after a bit of further research, it seems Newcastle Central was already a through station before the King Edward VII Bridge was built, as trains to/from the Scotswood route accessed the station from the western end.

Birmingham (Curzon St replaced by New St).
Different station in a different location - not quite the same.

Established Member
Might need to clarify slightly - Stuttgart is quite like a station such as King's Cross, with a good amount of platforms that narrow down to a few lines at the throat of the station. The plan at Stuttgart is to remove all of these 'dead-end' platforms and turn the line 90 degress so the new platforms will be constructed at a lower level, but all will be through platforms. In the UK I can't think of any stations that have done this completely, only stations such as Lime Street, Glasgow Central etc that still remain as a terminus station but have some through lines underneath.

I'll have a look at some of the other examples mentioned.

Established Member
The original station is being kept at Stuttgart, so only construction of new platforms. York would have been a good example if the station hadn't been slightly resited to the west.

Yew

Established Member
The original nottingham midland station was Terminus, however it was knocked down and the current through station built on the site.

In the process of researching this I found out about nottingham london road, I had always assumed it was an extension of the nottingham station that had fell into disuse and became a health club.

lancastrian

Well the only one I can think of is the old LSWR terminus of Devonport. When it had been opened it was a tterminus and the LSWR trains from London used to travel down the GWR line from where the LSWR was open to at Lydford. When the Plymouth, Devonport & South Western Juntion railway line through Bere Alston was opened in 1890 and the London trains arrived at Devonport station through what used to be the Terminus End, they actually knocked holes in the back wall. So it became a through station.

LE Greys

Established Member
York

Totally rebuilt and relocated.

That was done twice. The original station was a semi-permanent structure, facing roughly north-west, on the site of the current one. It then moved inside the walls a couple of years later, which would certainly not be allowed now. The gateway was designed to blend in though. However, trains from the south had to negotiate a tight right-hand curve, then reverse (although the fact that it was an engine change location made things easier). This arrangement lasted 38 years, by which time it was already heavily congested. Then they built the current through station on the site of the original one, or maybe a bit southward. This allowed access for the Scarborough line, did away with the reversal, and allowed a big expansion. The old one ended up as a carriage shed, then as additional storage space for preserved LNER stock before the days of the NRM. It is now the council offices.

Kryten2340

I suppose you could argue that Bank Foot on the TW Metro had its layout changed, albeit on a very minute scale by opening the 2nd platform when the line was extended to the Airport however I'm assuming that A) this is not what you meant and B) you're referring to main line only.

LE Greys

Established Member
On thinking about it, Berwick, although that was designed with what they called 'passive provision' for becoming a through station. I can't remember which end was built first, the Newcastle & Berwick or North British, but it involved demolishing the great hall of Berwick Castle, although the station originally had a 'castellated' style.

Actually, Waverley as well. The original Edinburgh & Leith railway involved a massive tunnel leading into what is now Waverley station from the north. The Edinburgh & Glasgow arrived from the west, the North British from the east, then all three met up in a station which was effectively a triangular junction. Eventually, they diverted the Leith line on a big loop and the tunnel ended up as the North British's (later LNER's) main source of mushrooms. I don't know whether it is still safe for access.

Kryten2340

On thinking about it, Berwick, although that was designed with what they called 'passive provision' for becoming a through station. I can't remember which end was built first, the Newcastle & Berwick or North British, but it involved demolishing the great hall of Berwick Castle, although the station originally had a 'castellated' style.

Actually, Waverley as well. The original Edinburgh & Leith railway involved a massive tunnel leading into what is now Waverley station from the north. The Edinburgh & Glasgow arrived from the west, the North British from the east, then all three met up in a station which was effectively a triangular junction. Eventually, they diverted the Leith line on a big loop and the tunnel ended up as the North British's (later LNER's) main source of mushrooms. I don't know whether it is still safe for access.

Wouldn't closing Princess Street and diverging the lines to Waverley from the west be a good shout?

DXMachina

....Watford (though the Croxley link diverges before the terminus).

Watford Met was built as a Terminus that was designed to be made into a through station - which is why the track is at a lower level than the road, to facilitate onward tunnelling.

The Met's Watford terminus station still survives as the Moon Under Water pub, although it is a pre-existing building that was due to be converted to a station booking-hall rather than a new build.

Still looks like a station even now though.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Island Gardens DLR was originally an elevated terminus, it is now (on a slightly different site) a deep tube through station.

trivran

I did say Blackfriars, which is wrong, I meant City Thameslink (as Ludgate Hill).

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Hounslow West on the Piccadilly line changed from being a ground-level terminus to a cut-and-cover through station when the Heathrow extension opened in the 1970s: although, the platforms apart, the remainder of the existing station building remained (and remains) in use.

tbtc

Veteran Member
That's an interesting question, I really cannot think of any examples in postwar UK stations, though there are certainly a few termini that I would love to become through stations (Hadfield, Matlock etc!)

RPM

Established Member
High Wycombe was originally a terminus. When the line was extended to Thame and Aylesbury the original Brunel-designed station building, complete with overall roof, was converted into the new station's goods shed. It is still there today, awaiting redevelopment for commercial/retail use. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/5743958265

Firesprite

Dorchester South was built as terminus. It was the intent to continue the line westwards towards Exeter. Instead the current route was used instead from Salisbury.

For many years after the line was connected to the Weymouth, Waterloo bound trains had to reverse in to the station to call, This carried on until to 1970 when a platform was built on the curve.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
If narrow-gauge railways can be included, how about the work now going-on at Porthmadog to make it a "through" station, and allow easier access from the Caernarfon line by removing the need to reverse?

LE Greys

Established Member
That's an interesting question, I really cannot think of any examples in postwar UK stations, though there are certainly a few termini that I would love to become through stations (Hadfield, Matlock etc!)

Are we talking NR only? Or would Angel, Euston (Northern Line), Highgate (later Archway), Clapham Common, Golders Green, Finsbury Park (Piccadilly Line), Liverpool Street (Central Liine) and so on count?

Chesham's a bit of a special case as well, since it ended up marooned on a branch having been the Met's original north-western terminus before it diverted west to Aylesbury, Quainton Road and eventually Amersham.

Status
Not open for further replies.