• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Converting ELR & Mileage to OS or Lat/Long Co-Ordinates

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue1991

Hi, new to the forum so hopefully I am posting in the right sub-forum!

I have a list of lineside phones and their associated ELRs and Mileages. I would like to be able to convert these to geographical co-ordinatates (e.g. OS grid reference or the Lat/Long co-ordinates) so I can position these on Google Maps/Earth.

I know Omnicom have a track locator app but can't seem to find a Desktop version or anything that could be used.

Can anybody advise please? Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Are you in NR (Omnicom suggests you are)? Surely you can go to the people who run the infrastructure model, it was called GEO-RINM but its changed now I think.

Sleeperwaking

If you're in NR, then Route View will give GPS co-ords. You can also use it to pin point the telephone.

skyblue1991

Thanks for your replies guys.

I don't work for NR so won't have access to Route View or any of their software. Was just hoping there was something similar to Omnicom Track Locator that can be used on a Desktop.

I have emailed Omnicom to ask if such a feature is available as it would be extremely useful for situations like this but also SSOWs planners etc... The data is there, just would require developing to be interpreted using a Desktop PC instead of an app

twpsaesneg

Thanks for your replies guys.

I don't work for NR so won't have access to Route View or any of their software. Was just hoping there was something similar to Omnicom Track Locator that can be used on a Desktop.

I have emailed Omnicom to ask if such a feature is available as it would be extremely useful for situations like this but also SSOWs planners etc... The data is there, just would require developing to be interpreted using a Desktop PC instead of an app
Routeview is available externally, if you're working for a contractor on a NR project, though you'd need to get a login from the NR Project Manager.

Roger100

When using converters it is worth remembering that latitude and longitude describe a position on a particular model of the earth, of which there are many to suit different parts of the world. Google Maps probably uses GRS80/WGS84 or whatever they call it these days. The OS use different models (on which their maps were originally based) for Great Britain, Ireland and the Channel Isles. To complicate things a little, the OS National Grid used a variable scale factor too.

The figures shown by the railway codes link work out for GRS80/WGS84 (or at least the top one does).

I spent many late hours messing with such stuff about 20 years ago, because popular commercial offerings gave wrong answers. I still have some info on the web, based on OS maths: www.carabus.co.uk

If anyone needs a map which tracks the cursor as OS NGR then Magic Map is useful:
https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx

thecrofter

Are you in NR (Omnicom suggests you are)? Surely you can go to the people who run the infrastructure model, it was called GEO-RINM but its changed now I think.
Omnicom Track Locator is available on iOS (currently v4.2). It's very similar to the one provided by the NR App Store but obviously available to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.