• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Convoluted Network Railcard + Season Ticket Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
Slightly random one here. I have (at present) a weekly season from Biggleswade to Hitchin. MrsStut has a Network Railcard.

If we want to go to London, using her Railcard discount, can I travel on the season plus a Hitchin-London ticket, while she travels on a Biggleswade-London ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've been sold similar combinations in the past but the difference between a Biggleswade to Kings Cross and Hitchin to Kings Cross is only £1.15 on a weekday and 70p at weekends (railcard discounted off peak day return fares).

Hmmm.... I suspect this is not permitted by the Network Railcard rules which imply that the same tickets must be bought for those accompanying unless the Network Card holder already has a season ticket for all or part of the route in which case the holder only needs a ticket for the section not covered by the season ticket. But I would not expect inspectors to make too much fuss about it if this is the ticket combination you bought.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can't see a problem with that, as for the entire period she has purchased a discounted ticket for you, she also has one for her. The other way round might be a problem.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hmmm.... I suspect this is not permitted by the Network Railcard rules which imply that the same tickets must be bought for those accompanying unless the Network Card holder already has a season ticket for all or part of the route in which case the holder only needs a ticket for the section not covered by the season ticket. But I would not expect inspectors to make too much fuss about it if this is the ticket combination you bought.

There's nothing I can see in the Network Railcard terms and conditions about this. I think you might be getting confused with the Annual Gold Card conditions which does have a condition about the cardholder not needing to purchase a ticket if their annual season ticket covers the journey, but then also mentions needing to purchase a travelcard for themselves if the other passengers are using travelcards and their season ticket doesn't cover the same zones.

Class442Fan

It's absolutely fine, no different than if the railcard holder was alighting the train and meeting another person at Hitchin and continuing their journey to London together. The holder can have a ticket for a longer journey than the companion but the companion CANNOT have a discounted ticket for longer than the railcard holder. Same rules if they were to return on different time trains.

As for having a season to cover part of it; as long as you are on a train that stops at Hitchin you'll be fine, otherwise you would need a ticket from the LAST station stop your season is valid on, and London. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not familiar with that part of the country.

cool110

As for having a season to cover part of it; as long as you are on a train that stops at Hitchin you'll be fine, otherwise you would need a ticket from the LAST station stop your season is valid on, and London. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not familiar with that part of the country.

Since it's a season wouldn’t that be covered by condition 19(c), so the train does not need to stop at Hitchin.

Status
Not open for further replies.