• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Convoys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy

Established Member
Anyone know how many locos can be in a convoy? I saw one of 7 going through Barnetby today (6x60 1x66), and AJP thinks you are only allowed 5!!!

Jordy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They are classed as light loco movements so are limited to 75mph (66s are limited to this anyway). Also, you can only have 3 at the most working in multiple in the convoy. Not sure how many you are allowed in a convoy though.

10 locos are allowed in Convoys but only on permitted lines for eg. the West Coast main line and obviously the Immingham-Doncaster line is permitted. Sorry AJP but you were wrong, and btw your a lucky git for getting 6x60's in a convoy!

For record today's light engine movement was the headcode 0X05(out of gauge) code!

Craig

Established Member
AFAIK there's a limit to 5 locos in a convoy. However this can be exceeded on certain lines with permission from Network Rail, they run with an X headcode.

Coxster

Established Member
When locos are running down to Eastleigh from the Wembley direction through my area, they tend to be in the 5-piece convoy - two 73s attached to 3 66s.

Tom B

Established Member
Does it not depend upon whether the locos are dead or not? Are dead locos just classed as freight?

O L Leigh

Established Member
I believe that is correct. There are limits on how many traction units (be it locos or MU's) can work in multiple and on how many locos can be hauled "dead in-train". Not sure what these restrictions are, but I would imagine that these factors determine the length of any motive power "convoy".

one TN

Bill EWS

Hi Everyone,
You are all correct in that '5' loco's are the usual. Loco's represent a lot of dead weight' and handle quite different from a train of similar length and weight. I have not seen more than five in all these years and have taken numerous multiple loco's too and from Eastleigh and north to Bescot. However, I understand that there may be different regulations in relation to some lines and possibly too, under privatisation as to B.R. days. Unless something like this applies with the sighting of 7 loco's then I would think that possibly the first two 66's were running in multiple. 'Multiple' being when two loco's are controled from the one cab and 'tandem' when the rear loco is shut down and/or a failure.

Cheers.

Bill EWS

Techniquest

Veteran Member
F**k me, 6 60s in one go! Which ones were they? If 097 was in it...

Wish I'd seen that movement! Thanks to Bill EWS for explaining the rules and stuff on multiple locos on movements/trains. Most I've ever seen is 2x EWS 66 and 60034 on a freight going west last week in Newport.

Jordy

Established Member
60s: 010, 082, 091, 054, 003, 075

Video of it coming as soon as Google accept it, contact me if you want it sooner.

Jordy

ChrisCooper

Established Member
one TN said:
Instant assistance in the event of a train failure.

one TN

And the flasks are pretty heavy aswell, what with all that steel and water, aswell as the spent uranium. The above though is why DRS prefer to use 2 or more low powered locos like 20s instead of just one high powered loco like a 66. Whilst there should be no risk in the event of a flask train failing, when it comes to Nuclear waste, sometimes being seen to be safe is more important than the actual safety benefit (imagine the press reaction if a loaded flask train broke down in the middle of busy station or someting).

Tom B

Established Member
What are the chances of a terrorist with a bomb sitting on a platform just as a nuclear train breaks down?

I think as Chris said it's more of a PR thing...

Sprog

Established Member
Muwhahahahaaaa! :p

Nice catch there Jordster! :thumblef:

Status
Not open for further replies.