• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conwy Valley flooding 23 and 24 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'll start a new thread as the old ones have now been closed.
Since the major work was completed and the line re-opened there have been several occasions when the line has been closed beyond Llanwrst North due flooding a little to the south but now, the line re-opens the next day as it has been no more than surface water. However TFW Journey Check is showing cancellations throughout on Sunday and Monday due to PREDICTED FLOODING

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
I'll start a new thread as the old ones have now been closed.
Since the major work was completed and the line re-opened there have been several occasions when the line has been closed beyond Llanwrst North due flooding a little to the south but now, the line re-opens the next day as it has been no more than surface water. However TFW Journey Check is showing cancellations throughout on Sunday and Monday due to PREDICTED FLOODING
Presumably the title should refer to 23 and 24 May?

Tomos y Tanc

I think occasional flooding on the Conwy valley line is pretty much inevitable. The question is always whether the infrastructure is intact when the waters recede.

DelW

Established Member
Duly amended. Don't know what I was thinking of unless it was the February seasonal weather in May :oops::oops:
Certainly feels pretty much like February round here at the moment :'(

Parham Wood

Line is very prone to flooding in the rock cutting between the Llanrwst stations just from local rainfall and not the river flooding. Perhaps one day they will put in better drainage but it will probably be a difficult job.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Yet again?

How much damage will be done this time.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yet again?

Since the major work was done and the closure for months there has been nothing worse than you find in other parts. If it floods now it's down by the next day and not worth mentioning as a major event.

Parham Wood

Yet again?

Given the weather patterns over the past few years the river will flood most years. Parts of the valley are really a flood plain but tinkering around with the river (not the rail works) has moved the flooding further upstream (I think). The embankment reinforcements with large stone blocks look very sturdy and should be enough to stop damage to the railway where these are placed unless they divert the problem to another part of the railway.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was surprised to see it reopen on Saturday after it was closed on Friday due to flooding. Especially after how wet Friday was.

First train got cut back to North Llanrwst but the other 3 ran through (judging by RTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.