• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cookies: Are you ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18194235

From this weekend all websites must obtain consent before storing cookies on user's computers.

I am so annoyed at this, as they are complicating a basic feature of web browsing. Cookies are the standard for storing data on the user's machine, with variables, just so you can do things like remember a user, and just store information - like any program would - so that the web page stays relevant between page changes. Without cookies, all websites would be flat and not dynamic - think back to the days of the start of the world wide web. Forums couldn't exist because it wouldn't know you were logged in, and so much other stuff.

But that's just me ranting. Personally it's meant I need to edit all of my websites to have some form of disclaimer (and users typically turn away from any website with a disclaimer).

Is this affecting anybody here?

More importantly, is RailUK ready?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
And cookies are used to track browsing, as marketing tools, and as the basis for some intrusive cold-call advertising. Not to mention being a super means of downloading viruses, etc. Even if we are talking only about the harmless ones, if I were stopped in the street by a market researcher, they would ask my permission before asking me their questions; on some sites, the cookie is the equivalent of the researcher rummaging through my shopping bag without asking me.
Little effort for some gain.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I too am annoyed with this. Cookies are a basic feature of any good website. Google Analytics uses cookies, which is used on a huge proportion of websites, so now all of these web developers must spend time familiarising themselves with another pointless piece of legislation.

I agree that the above website is a good example. The message is unobtrusive, unlike some other websites I've visited which have a huge, annoying banner at the top of the page.

SS4

Established Member
I'm not sure about it. One the one hand it's good if it forces sites to ask and to explain why they need a cookie but on the other it could get frustrating having to constantly enable them on every visit since it uses a cookie to determine whether you've allowed cookies iirc!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here is some info from the ICO: http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/online/cookies.aspx

WestCoast

Established Member
Ah, it makes sense now! I have been looking at a lot of bank/building society websites over the past couple of days and was puzzled by all these odd "cookie policy" notifications. :lol:

swj99

I've got a few sites, and was thinking of a disclaimer like this.

This site uses some unobtrusive cookies to store information on your computer.
If you are not happy with this, please leave the site now and don’t come back.

LE Greys

Established Member
This very site puts up an 'all cookies cleared' notice when you log out. I use Foxbat, which says it deletes all cookies automatically when it closes, which probably means they aren't around very long. I also have a 'no script' thing, although whether that works is anybody's guess. I've no problem with them being used temporarily, as long as they get deleted when no longer needed.

causton

Established Member
It is - except I have noscript so it doesn't show to me until I add the site to a whitelist; while it can still add cookies.

Well that's a customisation you've made/installed yourself so I'm sure they can't blame the website developers for that. I could make an extension that removes all T&C boxes from websites but can't then claim that I couldn't see them... surely? :o

bnm

Established Member
"Mmmmm..... Me want cookie! Om nom nom nom."

cookie-monster.jpg

Badger

Well that's a customisation you've made/installed yourself so I'm sure they can't blame the website developers for that. I could make an extension that removes all T&C boxes from websites but can't then claim that I couldn't see them... surely? :o

Not really; disabling javascript is something that goes a lot in line with disabling cookies, security wise, so the people who would want to disable cookies are likely to also be disabling javascript (or would if they knew how).

Badger

Indeed, I just worked out a way of doing the tracking without cookies regardless. Just needs a database of IP addresses and everything done server side. They really are fighting the wrong thing entirely.

SS4

Established Member
I reckon it was a knee-jerk reaction to advertisers going OTT with personalised ads et al. It's frustrating as cookies do a vital job in making browsing easier.
Why doesn't the EU forbid the collection of calls, texts and browsing like Westminster plans to do? Or ACTA?

The cynic in me suggests this is to divert attention away from more serious practices that are either acquiesced in or suggesting and additionally there's nothing our press loves more than an ill-informed rant about the EU

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Indeed, I just worked out a way of doing the tracking without cookies regardless. Just needs a database of IP addresses and everything done server side. They really are fighting the wrong thing entirely.

There are ways around it, but you don't get the full functionality that you have with cookies.

My site has upwards of 10 cookies, some of which can't be turned into server-side stuff. I will eventually put a compliance message on, but as my servers are in the US and it's a .com address I'm not too worried yet.

Webmasters are reporting refusal of cookies as upwards of 90%.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I wouldn't if I were you!
There are indeed techniques for storing server-side variables of a user's history, preferences, credentials etc, but not that!

There is no good correspondence between the IP address of a node and a user. I use several IP addresses and one IP address can have hundreds or more users.

You wouldn't ever want to load the wrong user's data or conversely to 'loose' a user when at another IP node.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Seeing as your site is hosted outside the EU need you bother at all? Even if your business or whatever is based there.

Ethically however my site has UK content and will attract UK visitors, so when I work out how the site will function *without* cookies (going to be a tough one!) I will provide a compliance message. It's not high on my list of priorities though.

Ascot

Established Member
Best Western has the best cookie notice I've seen yet. :p

www.bestwestern.co.uk said:
Cookie information: We love cookies - you can dunk them in your tea!
This website may put "tracking cookies" on your computer to help us improve your experience on our website, to analyse its performance and to allow us to promote the website. You can find out more in our privacy policy. Unfortunately you can't eat our tracking cookies but you can set your web browser to stop them downloading to your computer or you can just delete them from your computer. Here's a good recipe for cookies that you can dunk in your tea!

http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/blog/uncategorized/great-cookies-you-can-dunk-in-your-tea

Status
Not open for further replies.