• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Copenhagen to Malmo train fare, expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I've just come back from 3 days in Copenhagen and decided to travel to Malmo just to say I'd been into Sweden at least. I did my research before hand and read it was about 110DKK on the train, not bad.

Imagine my shock when I went to the ticket office and it cost 168DKK return, £19.50 for a half hour journey. Are all fares like that in Denmark? To me (I have a 16-25 railcard in the UK) it seemed very expensive!

I know its an expensive country (Denmark), the train was very nice and I found it be a comfortable journey both ways. It was my first experience of foreign railways and I have mixed feelings.

Bit of a pointless post it may seem, but it was a shock to the system to pay so much!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Well, Denmark and Sweden are generally more expensive countries than the UK, with higher wage and welfare levels. However, I do know that in Denmark DSB offer a 16-25 railcard for around about £20, which offers between 25% and 50% discount on domestic and some international fares.

Veteran Member
Afraid it's an expensive journey - I've just come up with 105SEK single so you werent ripped off.

Alfie1014

Quite often International Cross Border fares can be higher than domestic fares in much of Europe, but it appears that fares on this route Oresund are set at a level to re-coup the cost of construction of the bridges and tunnels. For example The non-discounted toll for cars is EUR43 (£35).

See the following from Wikipedia

The cost for the Oresund Connection, including motorway and railway connections on land, was DKK 30.1 billion[9] (~US$5.7bn) according to the 2000 year price index, with the cost of the bridge paid back by 2035. In 2006 Sweden began spending a further SEK 9.45 billion on the Malmö City Tunnel as a new rail connection to the bridge. It was completed in December 2010.
The connection will be entirely user financed. The owner company is owned half by the Danish government and half by the Swedish government. This owner company has taken loans guaranteed by the governments to finance the connection, and the user fees are the only income for the company. After the increase in traffic, these fees are enough to pay the interest and begin paying back the loans, which is expected to take about 30 years.
Taxpayers have not paid for the bridge and the tunnel, but tax money has been used for the land connections. Especially on the Danish side, the land connection has domestic benefit, mainly connecting the airport to the railway network. The Malmö City Tunnel has the benefit of connecting the southern part of the inner city to the rail network and allowing many more trains to and from Malmö.

Established Member
I've just come back from 3 days in Copenhagen and decided to travel to Malmo just to say I'd been into Sweden at least. I did my research before hand and read it was about 110DKK on the train, not bad.

Imagine my shock when I went to the ticket office and it cost 168DKK return, £19.50 for a half hour journey. Are all fares like that in Denmark? To me (I have a 16-25 railcard in the UK) it seemed very expensive!
!

Think you've just been sheltered with a railcard and northern fares to be honest! Given the infrastructure for that line all we really have in comparison is HS1, and a CDR to Ashford is £31.50.

I presume your £19.50 piece was valid at all times not just off-peak?

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Take a domestic trip, e.g. Copenhagen to Odense. The walk on fare is 288 DKK single for 163 km (road distance according to Google Maps). That's £31. That's somewhat more that a Off-Peak Return for a similar distance in the UK, although if you aren't returning Denmark is cheaper. However, that is considerably cheaper compared to UK Anytime fares.

Chapeltom

Established Member
What is the line speed on the route over to Malmo? It felt very fast after the airport into Sweden, I'm guessing over 100mph.

stut

Established Member
It's the Øresund crossing that makes it expensive, really. But there are substantial discounts with Jojo smart cards (the Skåne system). There are several who live in Sweden and commute to Copenhagen with this - Hyllie in particular is full of commuters.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Afraid it's an expensive journey - I've just come up with 105SEK single so you werent ripped off.

I've been researching a trip on the DB web site from Duesseldorf to Stockholm, with overnight stops in Hamburg and Copenhagen, plus the train ferry to Denmark.
Advance single fares are as low as €79 throughout (€119 in First) with ICEs to Copenhagen and X2000 on to Stockholm over the Oresund.
Cheap by any standard.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The Europa-Spezial Schweden for journeys between Germany and Sweden actually starts at 39€ or 29.25€ with a BahnCard 25. The supplement for the night train from Köln Hbf to Koebenhavn H is 20€ in a 6-berth or 30€ in a 4-berth couchette compartment but I have never seen the 39€ tickets available on this night train and London to Stockholm unfortunately can't be done in a day. London to Germany (only Thalys destinations) with Eurostar and Thalys is available from 49€ each way and London to Germany (to any German station) with Eurostar and ICE from 59€ each way (54€ with BahnCard 25). There are therefore some very good deals from Germany but it's hard to beat flying on price from London.

Veteran Member
I noticed that the difference between Copenhagen and Stockholm fares using the CNL (1st class sleeper) was only 10 Euros - about the same as the normal fare across the Sound!

From London, the cheapest split-ticketing for Copenhagen on a day train seems to be the small town of Oldenburg(Holst), thence to Copenhagen is EUR19 whereas Hamburg is EUR 29. Dont think it makes a difference for Stockholm though.

It's a great journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.