• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cornish bus operators (excluding First Kernow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
TheGrandWazoo, yes I was complaining to the forum. The forum seemed appropriate since it is about bus operators other than First Kernow. I feel a whole lot better now that I have told others about my experience. No doubt it will come to the attention of someone at Citybus. I expect someone keeps an eye on the forum to see what people are saying about them. If I wanted to complain directly, who should I write to anyway?

Sorry but you're misguided if you think that someone at PCB will react on something posted here :roll:

A simple check on their website gives you their contact details https://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/contact-us/customer-services/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Sorry but you're misguided if you think that someone at PCB will react on something posted here :roll:

A simple check on their website gives you their contact details https://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/contact-us/customer-services/

My experience of citybus is they don't respond to written correspondence. I sent an email to query a routing as I couldn't find details of a service that served where I needed to get to. 3 months later I've not had a response.
I would recommend phoning them, their vehicles have cctv so do so soon before it gets overwritten.
This forum whilst getting it off your chest, is unlikely to filter through to Citybus.
After all it's just a sub section of a railway site. One of the various specific bus forums is more likely to filter down as a lot of industry professionals use the better forums.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
My experience of citybus is they don't respond to written correspondence. I sent an email to query a routing as I couldn't find details of a service that served where I needed to get to. 3 months later I've not had a response.
I would recommend phoning them, their vehicles have cctv so do so soon before it gets overwritten.
This forum whilst getting it off your chest, is unlikely to filter through to Citybus.
After all it's just a sub section of a railway site. One of the various specific bus forums is more likely to filter down as a lot of industry professionals use the better forums.

I don't know about a route query vs. what sounds like a serious incident? The link I posted has the phone, email and postal address plus the CS form.

Reminds me of a That's Life spoof when a family got a new cooker. Then all manner of completely unrelated things befell them (and the world). Each time they rang the Electricity Board to be told "I'm sorry, this has got nothing to do with us" - in essence, you need to complain to the relevant people in the relevant media. However, whilst it may be a cathartic process, coming on here isn't likely to be very effective.

83G/84D

Established Member
Seen at Mullion today and now operating with Rosevidney Travel, P250 UCW:-

Attachments

• WP_20161030_10_17_50_Prorev.jpg
    WP_20161030_10_17_50_Prorev.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 69

83G/84D

Established Member
Williams Travel of Camborne have been using this demonstrator on service 442 recently:-

Attachments

• DSC07755.jpg
    DSC07755.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC07756rev.jpg
    DSC07756rev.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC07784.jpg
    DSC07784.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC07786.jpg
    DSC07786.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 41

83G/84D

Established Member
I suspect there might be the capacity to fit one if required, this is only a demonstrator after all. Having looked at the photo's again is that one above the front windscreen but not in use?

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I suspect there might be the capacity to fit one if required, this is only a demonstrator after all. Having looked at the photo's again is that one above the front windscreen but not in use?

Yes, that is one above the front windscreen.

83G/84D

Established Member
T897 KLF ex First Olympian was seen earlier today heading west along the A30 at Chiverton Cross.

co-tr-paul

897 has been off its usual praae to Helston run most of this week and replaced by P250 so guessing repair of some sort? First time off service since purchase - I pass it every am and pm !

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Optare YJ64 DWD is in use by Hopley's, seen yesterday on service 304. It was used by Travel Cornwall in July 2015.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
897 has been off its usual praae to Helston run most of this week and replaced by P250 so guessing repair of some sort? First time off service since purchase - I pass it every am and pm !

T897KLF currently on double deckers for sale on Ebay

co-tr-paul

Should get a good bid if only for its reliability. 100% of all my trips to/from work on school days from purcjase to withdrawl. Guess I will be seeing alot more of 250 then !

richw

Veteran Member
Should get a good bid if only for its reliability. 100% of all my trips to/from work on school days from purcjase to withdrawl. Guess I will be seeing alot more of 250 then !

The eBay ad says they've bought a newer vehicle.... 250 of course being 3 years older.

co-tr-paul

Rosevidney HAVE upgraded ! Since start of school term Jan, Volvbo/ALX400 W805 PAE has been on the run ! Former City line 9805.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Roselyn have purchased Trident's W712 RHT, W714 RHT, W716 RHT and X504 BFJ from First recently. Having spoken to the boss man at Roselyn this week he has told me the Tridents will gradually enter service to replace some of the ageing Olympians.

The plan at the moment is that W716 RHT & X504 BFJ will be the first to be treated followed by the other pair. W716 RHT still carries it's Western National colours for now.

The plan is to paint them yellow for schools / contract work although getting them into service is the main priority.

Several Olympians have been withdrawn including two of the ex Arriva examples.

Finally I saw this fine bus seemingly in use as a travellers accommodation this week:-

Attachments

• DSC08884.jpg
    DSC08884.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Hi All,

This sounds like a good day out and may be of interest. Coming as it does the day before the Penzance running day hopefully it will be well supported:-

Saturday 15th April- The Kernow Cracker

The Kernow Cracker

We are pleased to announce a new tour which will see us visit the fleet of Williams Travel based near Camborne on Saturday 15th April. This trip is operated by Nik Anthony and the plan has been devised to allow us to enjoy journeys on four Volvo Olympians from their school contract fleet as well as covering many roads around this highly scenic part of the country which rarely, if ever, see scheduled double deck operation. The date has been chosen to complement the Penzance running day which takes place the following day enabling passengers from further afield to combine the two events for a weekend in Cornwall.

We have requested the following four vehicles;

Former Stagecoach London Northern Counties bodied Volvo Olympians P801GMU, P802GMU and P803GMU

Former Dublin Bus Alexander bodied Volvo Olympian 739JUA (previously 97-D-352)

If any of these vehicles is unavailable then Volvo Olympian R634MNU will be used instead. During each run we will stop somewhere suitable to allow passengers to photograph the vehicle and there will be time to see and photograph the other vehicles in the fleet at the depot. The tour will take the usual format of Nik’s road coverage trips and will tour rural roads along less well known highways and byways in the area.

There will be two pick-ups on this trip, the first will be at 09:15 near Camborne Railway Station in Trevu Road at the bus stop located just north of the railway level crossing. This first trip will run a long trip down to Falmouth and back, touring the local area brushing the hedgerows of many quiet lanes on the way. This bus will then come into Redruth for a short break and the second pick-up at 13:00. The bus will stop in Station Road outside the railway station and it will await the arrival of the 07:27 GWR service from London Paddington which is due to reach Redruth at 12:50. Please note that Redruth has been chosen for this pick-up as it will enable passengers arriving later to still enjoy a 20 minute ride on the first bus used. The lunch break will be taken at the depot so passengers should plan for this as the depot is in a rural location away from shops etc. The afternoon will consist of three runs out of between 45 and 70 minutes in length and the last bus will drop off in Camborne near the railway station at 17:30, even if we are late we will make absolutely sure that passengers are dropped off in good time for the 18:05 train towards London should anyone wish to use that service.

The fare for the entire day of travelling is £20 for all passengers joining at 09:15, this is reduced to £15 for all passengers joining in Redruth at 13:00. You don't need to pre-book or reserve a place, simply turn up on the day, hop on the bus and your friendly conductor will collect your fare during the journey. There is no requirement to be a member of any particular group or society to join this trip, nor do you require an invitation to join us. Our trip is a private hire and the operator will NOT be able to answer any questions or enquiries- if you require any further information or you have any questions please e-mail us at chrismartin13601 (at) Hotmail.co.uk or nik280 (at) btinternet.com (substitute the correct @ symbol!). Please don’t contact the operator directly as they will not be able to answer your enquiry.

I sincerely look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on this trip, please forward this message onto anyone else who you think may be interested and please cut and paste into other news groups if you think it might interest their members.

Chris Martin and Nik Anthony

Source:- http://leylandolympians.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/1504.html

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Another local bus event that may be of interest:-

Roselyn are holding an open day at their main site at St Blazey on Sunday 7th May between 1000 and 1600 to celebrate their 70th year.

Website:- http://www.roselyncoaches.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/70th.jpg

There was no obvious progress on the former First Trident's as of last week. All were checked and seemingly in "as arrived" condition.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Mounts Bay coaches are down to one operational Toyota Coaster after S764 DOX had a catastrophic engine failure recently. They have replaced it with a Mercedes Benz 413 Sprinter minibus which has arrived from an operator in the Midlands.

It will be repainted in due course.

Attachments

• DSC09438.jpg
    DSC09438.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 43

richw

Veteran Member
How are certain operators able to use non DDA vehicles still?
In liskeard this morning Jacketts are using a S Reg Vario on the st Germans- menheniot- liskeard- st neot,
And group travel an unidentified Vario on the liskeard to launceston route.

I'm guessing there must be a loophole, but wasn't being unable to use Varios one of mark Howarths comments on WG struggles before he sold the business?

carlberry

Established Member
How are certain operators able to use non DDA vehicles still?
In liskeard this morning Jacketts are using a S Reg Vario on the st Germans- menheniot- liskeard- st neot,
And group travel an unidentified Vario on the liskeard to launceston route.

I'm guessing there must be a loophole, but wasn't being unable to use Varios one of mark Howarths comments on WG struggles before he sold the business?

I believe they can use them for a certain number of days in an emergency. They can also reduce the number of seats below where DDA applies (22 possibly?) or have a tail lift fitted (plus various other mods). Having to do any of them with a large fleet isn't practical.

richw

Veteran Member
I believe they can use them for a certain number of days in an emergency. They can also reduce the number of seats below where DDA applies (22 possibly?) or have a tail lift fitted (plus various other mods). Having to do any of them with a large fleet isn't practical.

A tail lift alone wouldn't make an old bus DDA compliant, However would likely mean there will less than 22 seats remaining so that is logical.

swifty

Established Member
A tail lift alone wouldn't make an old bus DDA compliant, However would likely mean there will less than 22 seats remaining so that is logical.

Or as I suspect they'll be 'coach' spec with no standees allowed to get around the rules!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Or as I suspect they'll be 'coach' spec with no standees allowed to get around the rules!

Yes, if licensed as a coach they can run until the end of 2019. The 20 day rule only applies to vehicles more than 20 years old, so an R reg Vario wouldn't be allowed.

There's no doubt that some operators are playing hard and fast with the regulations and DVSA simply do not have the resources to carry out routine checks.

Even First Kernow is using non DDA buses. They have plenty without operational side or rear destination screens,particularly where buses used to have roller blinds and these have stripped out but not replaced with LEDs.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Yes, if licensed as a coach they can run until the end of 2019. The 20 day rule only applies to vehicles more than 20 years old, so an R reg Vario wouldn't be allowed.

There's no doubt that some operators are playing hard and fast with the regulations and DVSA simply do not have the resources to carry out routine checks.

Even First Kernow is using non DDA buses. They have plenty without operational side or rear destination screens,particularly where buses used to have roller blinds and these have stripped out but not replaced with LEDs.

First Kernow buses without all blinds working will be DDA certified but faulty. An R Reg Vario won't be certified

the101

That's exactly what is going on; most of these outfits are just ignoring PSVAR despite having had many, many years' notice of it. You are also right in what you say that DVSA do not have the resources to go after them, although I am sure that sooner or later one uncompliant operator is going to be made an example of.

When this does happen, they will find themselves in a very tricky spot. What to say? "Oh, we just didn't bother to comply," or "actually, we didn't know about it." The latter is very dodgy ground for the TM's repute as it is expected by the Traffic Commissioner that part of their job is to remain up-to-date with rules and regulations changes.

On the subject of First's observance of PSVAR, it has at least one batch of B7Ls in one part of the country where the side destination blinds have not shown any ultimate destination since they were reprogrammed a couple of years ago. Route number yes, destination no.

LAIRA

I believe that you need a certificate to say the bus is compliant. Once you have a certificate all is well despite any changes made after it was issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.