• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cornish Clay Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

72C

Reported several months ago that DB and Imerys were in discussion to renew the contract for traffic between Goonbarrow/Parkandillack and Carne Point. If memory serves me well, the existing contract ends in December. Does anybody know how talks are progressing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
I haven't heard or read anything about the talks, but in this day and age I would be surprised at any company talking exclusively to one FOC.

72C

Thanks Furnessvale. December is not far away so, if correct info, it will soon be public. I just hope there is not a switch to road transport!!

83G/84D

Established Member
Road hauliers have been waiting in the wings for a while. The CDA's will soon need replacing and DB do not have many resources in Cornwall. Can't see any other freight operators taking over.

Lord Longhop

DB appear to have enough resources to not only run the clay services but the RHTT as well which yet again has been crewed exclusivley by them, much no doubt to the disappointment of the hovering vultures

Established Member
DB appear to have enough resources to not only run the clay services but the RHTT as well which yet again has been crewed exclusivley by them, much no doubt to the disappointment of the hovering vultures
Is the RHTT not Colas drivers?

Lord Longhop

Im only guessing but I think the fact that DB locos work it and it goes to St Blazey every day probably says not Colas

Established Member
Im only guessing but I think the fact that DB locos work it and it goes to St Blazey every day probably says not Colas
So you're guessing. I believe it is Colas drivers with DB locos. Hence the recent route refreshing and RHTT training...

Lord Longhop

Sounds like good news is in the offing for DB regarding the clay contracts, and also it has been noted that not 1, yes that's right NOT 1 RHTT train was worked by Colas or any other FOC drivers in Cornwall, every single one was worked by DB drivers from St Blazey, so as usual all the rubbish spouted from various mouths was just that and apparently they are looking forward to working it again next year as confirmed by a very reliable source

83G/84D

Established Member

DB only resource the RHTT through a "no holidays" period for the traincrew when it runs.

The other crew member is not employed by DB but an outside company.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Where is Carne Point please?

See below, thanks richw.

Last edited:
Carne Point is just upstream of the furthest loading jetty No 8, 1 mile up the river from Fowey town. If they ever wished to reopen Fowey station they would have to relay 1 mile of track. (Won't happen whilst the port / china clay is busy, as it would conflict with clay lorries etc - maybe one day!)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7037/13270373065_39113b18c4_b.jpg

More pictures Fowey to Lostwithiel. Probably one of the most scenic railways!
http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/lostwihiel-to-fowey-branch.html

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Anyone know if it's correct China Clay traffic has now ceased ?

Not sure if it's anything to be read into but the Bescot to Cliffe Vale run was cancelled last week. Hopefully it was for other reasons than the service having ceased

72C

It could be the bad weather has disrupted the shipping timetables and they are awaiting arrivals at Fowey. I cetainly hope it is something like that.

The_Train

Established Member
The Bescot to Cliffe Vale working this morning was cancelled (by the customer according to RTT although I know this is not always factual).

Just out of interest, am I right in thinking that the clay train out of Cornwall arrives at Bescot with a load to cover 2 orders? One for Cliffe Vale and one for Scotland?

furnessvale

Established Member
Just out of interest, am I right in thinking that the clay train out of Cornwall arrives at Bescot with a load to cover 2 orders? One for Cliffe Vale and one for Scotland?
On the odd occasion I have seen the Cliffe Vale train it has loaded up to 19 bogies so it must be a big train to Bescot if it splits.

The_Train

Established Member
On the odd occasion I have seen the Cliffe Vale train it has loaded up to 19 bogies so it must be a big train to Bescot if it splits.

Well another thing I had in my head is that the train out of Cornwall is one of, if not the biggest freight operated in the UK. Not sure where I've plucked these details from though.....maybe I'm watching too many programmes on TV about the Australian Railroads :E

Lord Longhop

It only goes to Cliffe Vale and the reason it was cancelled today is, because, as has been stated no wagons were loaded last week.

furnessvale

Established Member
Well another thing I had in my head is that the train out of Cornwall is one of, if not the biggest freight operated in the UK. Not sure where I've plucked these details from though.....maybe I'm watching too many programmes on TV about the Australian Railroads :E
It actually comes over the steep south Devon banks in sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.