• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus and electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
But as the Prime Minister is First Lord of the Treasury, his voice and opinion and direction carry immense weight.

And he effectively sacked his previous chancellor and installed a much more compliant one. The new chancellor will do as he's told.

If the economy isn't to languish for years with massive unemployment, a huge programme of public works will be essential, and will help to jump start the private sector. I'm no Boris fan, but I think he will realise this and take the (pretty eye-watering) borrowing hit; saying 'there is no money' and going back to austerity is not a realistic option in these unprecedented times and would almost certainly end up making the finances *worse* rather than *better*. Despite our less than stellar credit rating, interest rates are at rock bottom and will probably remain so indefinitely, so borrowing on this scale will be possible. I believe that infrastructure spending will be a very high priority with only the NHS outranking it.
Anyhow, that's just my opinion based on evidence like the HS2 go ahead.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Conversation suggested a one-off tax on the top 50% by wealth as an alternative to many more years of austerity and/or a large national debt. I think I'd be willing to give a small percentage of my net worth to get the economy out of the hole it's currently digging itself into.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The Conversation suggested a one-off tax on the top 50% by wealth as an alternative to many more years of austerity and/or a large national debt. I think I'd be willing to give a small percentage of my net worth to get the economy out of the hole it's currently digging itself into.
And it has to be screaming out for about 10pence per litre on fuel - diesel and petrol. With oil prices low at the moment the country should be able to take the hit. Would need an emergency budget of course. And surely Labour/opposition cant be against that as it would help the environment. I suggest on cigs and booze too.

Sorry we are drifting off topic. Though the bit about fuel duty is obviously not off topic. Less fuel burn should help breathing clean air.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The trouble with that is that it depends on what "wealth" means. It could result in the need for people to take on big debt or sell their house if, for example, they had a large house which they had inherited.

I'd rather they just upped income tax, to be honest.

HH

Established Member
The trouble with that is that it depends on what "wealth" means. It could result in the need for people to take on big debt or sell their house if, for example, they had a large house which they had inherited.
Is that necessarily a bad thing? It is for them, but for the country as a whole? It would certainly be the quickest way to pay for all the things we need to pay for.

However, I cannot see Boris signing up to it; it would cost the Johnsons a pretty penny.

Back to electricfication, I have to wonder whether HS2 might get dumped, despite the recent green light, to fund it?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Agreed. If I was taxed on my net liquid assets, I’d be getting a hefty rebate!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is that necessarily a bad thing? It is for them, but for the country as a whole? It would certainly be the quickest way to pay for all the things we need to pay for.

However, I cannot see Boris signing up to it; it would cost the Johnsons a pretty penny.

Back to electricfication, I have to wonder whether HS2 might get dumped, despite the recent green light, to fund it?

HS2 is paid for by future revenues - the annual borrowing it involves is in many ways not really that significant. Electrification of existing lines probably doesn't generate the same amount of future revenue.

A wealth tax certainly has attractions but I concede that it is difficult to assess and manage. Perhaps something like 2% on a primary residence, 5% on pension scheme assets and 20% on liquid assets. Payments could be met by extending the period of mortgages if people can't afford the immediate payment.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I see the benefits of wealth taxes, but a one off hit doesn't seem to me the right way to do it. We need higher general taxation anyway, so raise it and leave it raised once paid back.

Government debt isn't automatically bad, anyway - get some National Savings bonds out there!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
HS2 is paid for by future revenues - the annual borrowing it involves is in many ways not really that significant. Electrification of existing lines probably doesn't generate the same amount of future revenue.

A wealth tax certainly has attractions but I concede that it is difficult to assess and manage. Perhaps something like 2% on a primary residence, 5% on pension scheme assets and 20% on liquid assets. Payments could be met by extending the period of mortgages if people can't afford the immediate payment.

I’d have to sell my house to pay that. As would many others. Asset prices (property, stocks, bonds) would collapse, which ultimately affects pension funds. It’s not going to happen.

Well I think its a bit late to dump HS2 now it been given the go-ahead however whether such as phase 2b in particular see the light of day certainly in its current form and timescale remains to be seen.

Government will have a very difficult balancing between wanting to avoid austerity and the Tory right that wont want to raise taxes. Clearly there will have to some capitol spending but the railways and electrification are going to be competing with other forms of transport and other forms of infrastructure, which is why I think those looking for a mass electrification plan as originally envisaged in CP5 will be somewhat disappointed. I also think there is debate to be had in terms do we spend the money on improving the existing network with such as electrification or do we spend some of the money reopening old lines, many people on here seem to want both but I doubt there is going to be money for both to any great degree. My own view is that we should prioritise the existing Network, HS2/NPR, East-West link are enough to be getting on with for some time, and forget ideas like reopening the line to Fleetwood.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Despite there being an uptick in interest and chatter, there was very little evidence of a return to prowess for electrification in the minds of the keyholders just prior to the onset of the crisis.

Clearly for now there are many other priorities, but it will be very interesting to see if the convincing argument is cutting through more when it comes to recovery spending. We will soon find out.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I’d have to sell my house to pay that. As would many others. Asset prices (property, stocks, bonds) would collapse, which ultimately affects pension funds. It’s not going to happen.
It's definitely not going to happen, not with the current government, but a capital levy could be less destructive than the economy finding a new equilibrium at a much lower level of aggregate demand than it was at before the crisis. The way to think about it is this: a capital levy brings all the pain of years and years forward to a single point in time, and divides it out evenly. It also permits an overnight transformation from a high-tax economy to a low-tax one. There will also be people arguing to run inflation hot to cut debt, and that is more attractive than a capital levy, but insidious, slow, and grossly unfair by comparison.

The cost of market crashes such as you describe is financial and political, but the cost of economic depression is human.
Still, we are not there yet. The government still can, and should, spend its way out of the crisis.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's definitely not going to happen, not with the current government, but a capital levy could be less destructive than the economy finding a new equilibrium at a much lower level of aggregate demand than it was at before the crisis. The way to think about it is this: a capital levy brings all the pain of years and years forward to a single point in time, and divides it out evenly. It also permits an overnight transformation from a high-tax economy to a low-tax one. There will also be people arguing to run inflation hot to cut debt, and that is more attractive than a capital levy, but insidious, slow, and grossly unfair by comparison.

The cost of market crashes such as you describe is financial and political, but the cost of economic depression is human.
Still, we are not there yet. The government still can, and should, spend its way out of the crisis.

Your other option is more quantitative easing, which effectively "taxes" people on the value of their wealth by making it less valuable. Also means no need to hit people with an actual bill.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Despite there being an uptick in interest and chatter, there was very little evidence of a return to prowess for electrification in the minds of the keyholders just prior to the onset of the crisis.

Oh there definitely was more than chatter.

reddragon

Established Member

Unfortunately, its the middle classes who pay tax, probably far too much on income tax. The problem is the super rich and big business who avoid taxes altogether, think Google, Amazon, Starbucks etc. They hold 99% of all wealth.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, its the middle classes who pay tax, probably far too much on income tax. The problem is the super rich and big business who avoid taxes altogether, think Google, Amazon, Starbucks etc. They hold 99% of all wealth.

They mostly hold it outside the UK, though, so a wealth tax won't hit them either.

HH

Established Member
Your other option is more quantitative easing, which effectively "taxes" people on the value of their wealth by making it less valuable. Also means no need to hit people with an actual bill.
The trouble is that it also taxes income.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
That's the same as running inflation high. Looser monetary policy would need to be a lot looser too, to have that effect. It is also quite difficult to halt when you've decided you've inflated your way out of your debts just enough.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
That's the same as running inflation high. Looser monetary policy would need to be a lot looser too, to have that effect. It is also quite difficult to halt when you've decided you've inflated your way out of your debts just enough.
While I do totally agree with you, it may come down to "which is the lesser of the two evils?" and I suggest that is inflation. However, I do think once again as stated upthread raising excise duty on gasoline, diesel, alcohol and tobacco are absolutely necessary.
Tobacco smoking - pre-existing condition higher risk of Covid and any mutations
Fuel duty - fuel causes pollution - highly suspected of being closely related to Covid deaths.
These taxes maybe more tolerable to a Tory government than income tax/wealth tax etc.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
While I do totally agree with you, it may come down to "which is the lesser of the two evils?" and I suggest that is inflation.
It is effective, and it may be necessary, but it is totally indescriminate and random in whom it hurts, compared to a capital levy, which can be very precise and targeted.

Significant increases in duties on certain luxury items and carbon intensive activities, plus anti-pollution taxes, are a total no-brainer, but that has nothing to do with coronavirus. If it were up to me there would be tax on aircraft fuel, VAT on domestic flights, a higher base level of fuel duty and Air Passenger Duty and annual uprating of CPI+1 on the duties. I would also look at an expansion of parking levies. These ideas are all well overdue. More explosive concepts can come later. Sadly none of this even comes close to paying for the cost of Covid-19.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why not put a percentage levy on air fares instead? I've long not understood why more such levies aren't percentages as then you don't need the Government to get bad publicity for increasing them, as they would increase naturally. Same for fuel, cigarettes, alcohol etc.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.