• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus and retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't think there is a thread for this. Clothes shops are non-essential and M&S are only opening their food halls and not their clothing departments.

I understand why but it got me wondering, are all supermarkets not selling clothes in store at this time?

I can't check myself as I'm semi-shielding.

Also I see Argos stores in Sainsburys can be used for collection for online orders but cannot sell anything. I assume this is due to it being non-essential. All standalone stores are however closed and not even open for online collections only.
Following the Prime Minister’s announcement, standalone Argos stores are now closed.

Argos stores in Sainsbury’s supermarkets are also still open, but only to collect orders that have been paid for online.

We would strongly encourage you to order items for home delivery, and to only collect whilst doing your essential food shopping at Sainsbury’s.
https://www.argos.co.uk/features/service-disruptions?tag=ar:propbar:covid19

If anyone has any other retail questions or interesting bits relating to the coronavirus and retails, then please add them to this thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Argos:

Partly due to being non essential but mostly to minimise staff contact with both other staff members and customers and to avoid customers congregating.

Toolstation have a full logic explainer of how to operate a "catalogue" store counter as safely as possible on their website.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Argos:

Partly due to being non essential but mostly to minimise staff contact with both other staff members and customers and to avoid customers congregating.

Toolstation have a full logic explainer of how to operate a "catalogue" store counter as safely as possible on their website.
How interesting.

trainophile

Established Member
I was wondering whether you're allowed to buy things like paint, given many people now have the time to do some jobs around the house. It's not strictly essential but could be therapeutic.

3rd rail land

I was wondering whether you're allowed to buy things like paint, given many people now have the time to do some jobs around the house. It's not strictly essential but could be therapeutic.
I though businesses were keeping their online businesses operational its just the physical shops that are closed so just buy online. No rules against buying non essentials online.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a tricky one isn’t it? I’m working on my house at the moment and luckily I’ve been able to borrow 10 litres of Matt white from my neighbour to get some of it done (although I didn’t want to paint the house white but it’ll be no bother going over just the walls with a different colour once the bulk of the work is done).
He messaged me today to say that Screwfix was open for click and collect (they stock some paint), but it doesn’t feel essential like say if I had a plumbing emergency or something similar, so I’m just going to leave it for now as I’ve got quite a lot of what I need anyway.
I did order some undercoat off eBay the other night but it’s going to take a while to get here.

B&Q would be cleaning up right now if they could open their stores properly...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't think there is a thread for this. Clothes shops are non-essential and M&S are only opening their food halls and not their clothing departments.

I understand why but it got me wondering, are all supermarkets not selling clothes in store at this time?

I can't check myself as I'm semi-shielding.

Also I see Argos stores in Sainsburys can be used for collection for online orders but cannot sell anything. I assume this is due to it being non-essential. All standalone stores are however closed and not even open for online collections only.

https://www.argos.co.uk/features/service-disruptions?tag=ar:propbar:covid19

If anyone has any other retail questions or interesting bits relating to the coronavirus and retails, then please add them to this thread.
My local Sainsbury regards itself as some sort of 'flagship' store, I gather, so often does it appear in its own publicity. I hadn't been there since the new measures were introduced, until yesterday, and was surprised to find the large non-food/drink section open, but the small Argos bit at the end of it closed! So, I could have bought a kettle from Sainsbury's selection but not from Argos: it makes no sense!

A guy in a tiny shop opposite where I live who does computer repairs has been forced to close, even though he's snowed under with work, and he doesn't act as a retail shop in any real sense. He's in his sixties, and doesn't want to try to adapt his business to fit around the 'rules', even if he could. It's crazy, if your computer's not working when you're in enforced lockdown, you could be in the mire. This is no better thought through than anything else the government comes up with.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I thought the same thing this morning. Large supermarkets (i.e. Tesco/Morrisons) sell things like phone chargers, headphones etc, and if you desperately need one they are only the places you'll get them from, as your typical Currys/PC World/Apple store is obviously shut for the foreseeable.

With M&S, it's a little different as it's essentially just clothing/home and food, and I agree the former is not essential. However, if large Tesco's are blocking off their non-food section, I think that is a risky game!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Hardware stores are in the essential category and can remain open: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...her-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance

Despite that, B&Q have decided to shut all their stores and places like Screwfix are operating significantly reduced hours and are only selling "essential items". Wickes is only open for click-and-collect purchases. Wilko are ploughing on though because they sell medicine, household goods, and cleaning goods as well as DIY items. Fair enough really, they're pretty much the definition of essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.