• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus: Future of airlines and airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
Ireland brought in a quarantine system last week. So that’s not really a way to bypass our system when it comes in.
Yes, see that, read it on the BBC website yesterday.....loop hole closed :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
According to the' Points Guy' website B.A plan Long Haul from July with the following:

the 29 July routes break down as follows:

• 13 to North America: Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX), Mexico City (MEX), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), Toronto (YYZ), Vancouver (YVR), Washington, D.C. (IAD);
  • 5 to Africa: Accra (ACC), Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Lagos (LOS), Nairobi (NBO);
  • 10 to Asia and the Middle East: Beijing (PKX), Delhi (DEL), Dubai (DXB), Hong Kong (HKG), Mumbai (BOM), Seoul (ICN), Shanghai (PVG), Singapore (SIN), Tel Aviv (TLV), Tokyo (HND); and
  • 1 to South America: Sao Paulo (GRU).

I am due to go to New Orleans on 29th August......maybe......maybe not !

Interesting - no Orlando (MCO) on that list.

berneyarms

Established Member
I was taught at School, that Southern Ireland is called Eire ! ( Southern Ireland at a push) :)

Well consider yourself re-educated!! ;)

Éire is used if writing/speaking in the Irish language.

But in the English language, the name of the country is Ireland.

The second option you quote most certainly does not exist!

Pendantic diversion over!

LAX54

Established Member

:) :) times change over the years, and some of us get left amongst the weeds ! :)

westv

Established Member

I suppose it's a bit like saying "I'm going to Deutschland for a holiday" rather than "I'm going to Germany for a holiday"

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I had an E-Mail offering an upgrade to Club Class on a couple of Flights I've got booked from Inverness to Heathrow on BA this October.

£59 each is not bad as I only paid £20odd each for the bookings.

However knowing "the shoebox sized" Inverness Lounge, unless the service onboard is back to normal I don't think I'll partake.
Or if you need the tier points! 35 extra TP for £59 is a steal and they haven't yet confirmed the extension of lower TP thresholds beyond this month but they probably will. Silver currently only 420 TP for example. If not, exit row in Euro Traveller!

berneyarms

Established Member
"Ireland" is however ambiguous because it could refer to the Republic or the whole island.

Indeed the word “Ireland” can be used for both the country and the island, but regardless of whether one might find it ambiguous, the official name of the country in the English language, is “Ireland”.

No Irish person would ever say that they are from “Éire” when speaking English. The only people who do use the term in English in my experience tend to be from Britain.

Anyway we are digressing from the topic at hand.

Butts

Veteran Member
Currently at Heathrow Airport awaiting a flight to Glasgow.

Feel like I've wandered onto the set of Casualty as everyone is masked up. There are big signs saying you are not allowed in without a mask.

I didn't see if they were handing them out Gratis. No Q at security, place is like a ghost town with all the shops and catering outlets closed.

They do make your glasses steam up !!!

route101

Established Member
Currently at Heathrow Airport awaiting a flight to Glasgow.

Feel like I've wandered onto the set of Casualty as everyone is masked up. There are big signs saying you are not allowed in without a mask.

I didn't see if they were handing them out Gratis. No Q at security, place is like a ghost town with all the shops and catering outlets closed.

They do make your glasses steam up !!!

How busy is your flight? What kind of people are flying/

Butts

Veteran Member
How busy is your flight? What kind of people are flying/

Airbus 319 - about half full I would say - no "piggies in the middle" and "curtain very far forward"

I had 23ABC to myself -BA bonus got a free water and packet of m&s crisps.

Seemed to be a lot of foreigners onboard, not many suits but it was a Sunday.

route101

Established Member
Airbus 319 - about half full I would say - no "piggies in the middle" and "curtain very far forward"

I had 23ABC to myself -BA bonus got a free water and packet of m&s crisps.

Seemed to be a lot of foreigners onboard, not many suits but it was a Sunday.

I see , curious to see why people are flying ! Cant imagine many suits even during the week right now

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Boris Johnson apparently ready to agree with the air bridges...

Which means that the air bridges could be implemented as soon as we thought.

Jayden99

Boris Johnson apparently ready to agree with the air bridges...

Which means that the air bridges could be implemented as soon as we thought.
You need other countries to want us visiting for that to work, unfortunately. I know Portugal are keen to have us but considering our relative bungling of the pandemic response are there any other countries in the EU27 that want Brits visiting right now?

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
You need other countries to want us visiting for that to work, unfortunately. I know Portugal are keen to have us but considering our relative bungling of the pandemic response are there any other countries in the EU27 that want Brits visiting right now?

Italy is allowing us Brits to visit without the need for a 14 day quarantine, and Spain/Greece will be happy to welcome us once our rates of infection are low.

underbank

Established Member

They want our money to support their tourist economy - they'll find ways of making it possible!

Bantamzen

Established Member
While it's not perfect, I can see testing on arrival being a part of this.

It wouldn't be the worst idea, because BoJo is already open to the idea of air bridges and I fully expect a number of countries will be keen to get tourists moving again this summer. I'd probably add some kind of declaration to be signed in-flight where passengers offer a contact address and formally agree to reporting on symptoms in the following 14 days to allow track & trace.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I see , curious to see why people are flying ! Cant imagine many suits even during the week right now

For another thread if this wishes to continue, but suit sales were practically zero during April and May. Guess you don't need to dress up much to WFH :D

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
For snother thread if this wishes to continue, but suit sales were practically zero during April and May. Guess you don't need to dress up much to WFH :D

Bizarrely prior to my flight they offered me an upgrade online for £59 to Club.

As all the Lounges are closed not a great deal !!

Jamiescott1

Just recieved notification that my bucket and spade flight to Rhodes on 5th july has been cancelled

darloscott

I wonder if BA will reintroduce their Boeing 747's if their long haul operations are restarting?.
There's been a few working hard over the whole period, but I noticed a few stored ones have been moved from Bournemouth to Cardiff presumably for prepping before returning to service.

nlogax

Established Member
I wonder if BA will reintroduce their Boeing 747's if their long haul operations are restarting?.

Have done some research and it's expected there'll just be 23 BA 747s left in service by the year's end. All BA 747s are planned to have been retired by early 2024. C-19 has accelerated the retirement schedule a bit (not as much as I'd have thought) but this plan has been in the works since before the pandemic.

Look for the "BA fleet: confirmed information on aircraft deliveries, refurbishment and retirements" thread on Flyertalk. It's updated frequently.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Have done some research and it's expected there'll just be 23 BA 747s left in service by the year's end. All BA 747s are planned to have been retired by early 2024. C-19 has accelerated the retirement schedule a bit (not as much as I'd have thought) but this plan has been in the works since before the pandemic.

Look for the "BA fleet: confirmed information on aircraft deliveries, refurbishment and retirements" thread on Flyertalk. It's updated frequently.
Looking promising for my trip to New York next year. I wanted to have another trip on one of these icons before they go.

There's been a few working hard over the whole period, but I noticed a few stored ones have been moved from Bournemouth to Cardiff presumably for prepping before returning to service.

BA have only operated a single 747 (G-CIVO) since the start of April, but only for a dozen flights to Lagos, Abuja and Cape Town.
It was moved to Cardiff a week ago and replaced by one of those that had been stored at Bournemouth (G-CIVP), which has only carried out a couple of flights to Cape Town so far.
Only 2 left at Bournemouth now, out of the 5 which have been stored there.
2 of those have moved to Cardiff and the other is now at Heathrow as I’ve mentioned.
The 5 BA 747’s parked at the airliner graveyard at Teruel in Spain will probably not return to service.

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
For those of you with BA status, you may have had an email from them this morning extending your Exec level for another 12 months. Great move on their part I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.