• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus: How scared should we be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My mother isn't, nor are some of the others members of our family, nor their friends, or for that matter my 83 year old neighbour. And judging by the demographics of people I see walking about there a plenty others also not hiding.

As I mentioned upthread, shielding is wholly optional anyway, the reason being that not doing so only poses risks to the individual - such people are not more likely to spread the disease, only to die of it themselves.

That might have needed to change had the NHS been overwhelmed but it wasn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
Not any more. The advice has shifted based on learning about the virus, and over 70s are now just advised to take specific care to avoid contact rather than fully shield.

Originally it was going to be everyone who was entitled to a free flu jab, which would have been excessive.
My mother isn't, nor are some of the others members of our family, nor their friends, or for that matter my 83 year old neighbour. And judging by the demographics of people I see walking about there a plenty others also not hiding.
Many thanks. I didn’t realise that.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's a good article. I think being a little wary is helpful anyway for general public health reasons even if there wasn't a pandemic.

People were talking about London being the worst several weeks back and looking at all these parks being packed yet in reality, London has some of the lowest R rates and really went with the "hammer and dance" approach. Other areas have not fared so well. I imagine that lockdown will never "end" as such; instead restrictions will gradually remove over time and before we know it, society is broadly running normally.

Are they not? I thought they were.
There does seem to have been some confusion around this, at present 70+ plus that doesn't have any high risk medical conditions is classed as moderate risk and doesn't have to fully shield like high risk groups, but would be well advised to be careful and limit going out to a minimum which was also my point about over 50's.

There are a number of people in the moderate risk group where I work that that have chosen to shield.

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The assessment of risk is something we should all, as adults, be capable of doing. The government and the media has not been putting the risk of contracting coronavirus into some kind of perspective, by not - for example - pointing out that the 344,418 confirmed deaths worldwide (at the time of writing) are still just over half the number of people who die EVERY YEAR from ordinary flu, according to World Health Organization figures.

takno

Established Member
There does seem to have been some confusion around this, at present 70+ plus that doesn't have any high risk medical conditions is classed as moderate risk and doesn't have to fully shield like high risk groups, but would be well advised to be careful and limit going out to a minimum which was also my point about over 50's.
It is the point you keep trying to make about the over 50s, but you haven't provided even the faintest crumb of evidence for it. There's a barely discernable rise in the proportion of over 50s dying compared to the 40-50 age group. The difference in proportion of people in that age group with pre-existing conditions is quite a lot larger. All the evidence is that if you are under 70 and healthy then you're more likely to do yourself an injury by worrying about it.

If you're over 70 then the risk rises, but the proportion of the rest of your life that you are wasting indoors rises even faster. You're looking at probably less than 10 years of decent quality life. You could stay in and not visit for 6 months of that, missing out on the chance to build a relationship with young grandchildren and gradually losing touch with networks it is harder and harder to rebuild. I think a lot of people weighing that against what is still only a 5-10% chance of dying of Covid, and even then only *if* they catch the disease, would still go out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I object to your comment that I am using emotive language, and would report that except of course you are an an administrator so it would be a waste of time. At this stage I would be wary of the accuracy of any statistics until we get a bigger picture and I imagine there is more than one set of stats floating about.
If you think there are some stats which support your position, please do post them.
While someone 50+ might not be as high risk as someone older, the 50+ band is where the risks start to increase even according to the stats you are quoting and there are likely to be increasing over 50's in the specific health at risk groups.
Start to increase, yes from an extremely low level of risk to a low level of risk.

There have been a number of scientists in the past month that have suggested that people in the 50 to 70 age group need to be more careful and possibly shielding like the over 70's.
Feel free to link to, and quote from, people who make such claims. I will then debunk them accordingly.
You seemed to be determined to minimize the risk of this
I'm not determined to minimise the risk of anything; on the contrary I will take a pragmatic view, considering all known risks and benefits of ant situation. There are activities I do which have risks, such as cycling and football. But I also understand the benefits of such activities.
whereas I take a different view that people in higher risk group like myself need to be more concerned I don't see that as being emotive, and even if I wasn't in a high risk group I am not sure I would entirely trust the stats in the article at this stage.
By your own admission you have a health condition that means you need to take precautions to avoid crowds, regardless of the Covid 19 situation and that this advise given to you pre-dates that.

With all due respect the specific advice given to you has no bearing on anyone else who has not been given such advice.

It sounds like your situation now is similar, if not the same, as it was before, and that you are at risk from other factors not just Covid 19 so I am puzzled as to why you appear to be so keen for the rest of us to change our lifestyles so dramatically.

As for stats, by all means provide some stats that you believe demonstrates that people aged 50 are of high risk. We will then be in a position to debunk them.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what happens in Sweden which has taken a more relaxed attitude to lockdowns. Its infection rate per head of population is getting close to the UK's with half the level of testing so there is probably some under reporting. While its care homes are also badly affected accounting for around half of its deaths to date.
With respect, the total number of deaths in any country is going to vary enormously even if the rate of infection were identical, due to huge variance in population.
The government here in the UK have consistently argued that these draconian social distancing measures are necessary for all segments of the population, which is patently a falsehood given the overwhelming majority of deaths have been in the ‘at risk’ groups they identified at the start of all this.
Look at the facts at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Sweden: lightweight measures, 396 deaths per 1million of population

UK: full lockdown, 541 deaths per 1million of population

It could be argued, with a U.K. population of about 67m, full lockdown has resulted in over 9,800 extra deaths than would have died under a Swedish-style approach to coronavirus

Skymonster

Established Member
I'm starting to see people out walking who are wearing masks and gloves, these people then generally panic if you walk past them within 2 meters, usually resulting in them walking out into the road without looking... It's laughable.
Yup... A while ago the stay-at-home brigade called those who ventured out coined the word covidiots for anyone who dared go out. Now we have what I call coronacowards who seem to think that just coming anywhere near another human being for a few seconds will be fatal. It is laughable.

Veteran Member
Not any more. The advice has shifted based on learning about the virus, and over 70s are now just advised to take specific care to avoid contact rather than fully shield.

Originally it was going to be everyone who was entitled to a free flu jab, which would have been excessive.
No, they were never shielding (per the detailed guidance issued at lockdown). My wife and I are, having received the letter (and her consultant's advice before that), being classed as extremely vulnerable, as are about 2m others.

Back on topic: while the risk of severe illness to younger individuals is, I agree, minimal, it has to be balanced with the risk of transmitting the infection to others, which is significantly higher.

APT618S

I disagree that 50-70 years are at significant risk. The risk for all ages is about the same as the next year of your normal life. As someone in this age group I would have no qualms travelling on a packed rush hour train or tube.
Data:
510639_5_.jpeg.jpg

al78

Established Member
The assessment of risk is something we should all, as adults, be capable of doing. The government and the media has not been putting the risk of contracting coronavirus into some kind of perspective, by not - for example - pointing out that the 344,418 confirmed deaths worldwide (at the time of writing) are still just over half the number of people who die EVERY YEAR from ordinary flu, according to World Health Organization figures.

This completely misses the point. The NHS can cope with the normal annual death toll from flu and everything else, but there is not much slack in the system. When a new virus comes along which is contageous and there is no herd immunity and no vaccine, the virus propagates exponentially if no measures are taken. The potential of hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of extra hospital admissions (on top of the normal annual hospital admissions) will push the NHS into a state where it simply cannot cope. The whole point of the lockdown measures is to keep the infection rate and hospital admissions down to the point where the hospital can cope. It is not about risk to any individual, it is about avoiding a health care crisis on a country population scale.

It is like having a rail strike on the weekend before Christmas and claiming this would have no significant effect on road traffic because such a strike would only load another 5% of traffic onto the roads.

If you think there are some stats which support your position, please do post them.

Start to increase, yes from an extremely low level of risk to a low level of risk.

Feel free to link to, and quote from, people who make such claims. I will then debunk them accordingly.

I'm not determined to minimise the risk of anything; on the contrary I will take a pragmatic view, considering all known risks and benefits of ant situation. There are activities I do which have risks, such as cycling and football. But I also understand the benefits of such activities.

By your own admission you have a health condition that means you need to take precautions to avoid crowds, regardless of the Covid 19 situation and that this advise given to you pre-dates that.

With all due respect the specific advice given to you has no bearing on anyone else who has not been given such advice.

It sounds like your situation now is similar, if not the same, as it was before, and that you are at risk from other factors not just Covid 19 so I am puzzled as to why you appear to be so keen for the rest of us to change our lifestyles so dramatically.

As for stats, by all means provide some stats that you believe demonstrates that people aged 50 are of high risk. We will then be in a position to debunk them.
If your an expert on this virus then feel free to debunk my comments, if your not and trying to debunk purely on the basis of this article I will give it a miss. Yes if you believe those stats as you appear to do then yes if your a healthy 50 year old then the risk doesn't appear to be much greater than younger age groups. But at this stage given we have stats earlier in the epidemic that suggested different things I will take the stats with a pinch of salt until we get more data. I would also comment that as you get older your more likely to start falling into the high risk medical conditions and in some cases you may not even know your in those high risk groups which was the case with me for at least 2 years.

I take a very cautious view on virus and think the older you are the more cautious you should be and will leave it at that.

A quick comment about the flu some people like to make out that this is comparable with flu, I don't see that at all apart from anything else we can vaccinate the most vulnerable against flu, and while occasionally we have had bad flu years generally the death rate is much lower in the UK.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@37424 The risks for most things in life will slowly increase as you get older, and the rate will increase over time too. That's unavoidable, at least to some extent.

However I know that by doing certain things I will stay healthier for longer. Some of those things carry risk. But for me, the risk of not doing those things is greater.

It sounds like your situation has not changed since the pandemic started, and is far removed from the position the vast majority of the population is in, and therefore I agree there is nothing more to discuss with you on this matter, especially as you are not able to provide any statistics that support your view.

Veteran Member
I disagree that 50-70 years are at significant risk. The risk for all ages is about the same as the next year of your normal life. As someone in this age group I would have no qualms travelling on a packed rush hour train or tube.
Data:
View attachment 78371
By the time you are 60+, the risk is getting significant (especially as there is a roughly similar risk of being seriously and unpleasantly ill before recovering enough to be discharged from hospital). Just as I take recommended steps to reduce my risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes etc., I would think it wise to reduce my risk of Covid19 (even if I were not shielding for my wife's sake).

takno

Established Member
By the time you are 60+, the risk is getting significant (especially as there is a roughly similar risk of being seriously and unpleasantly ill before recovering enough to be discharged from hospital). Just as I take recommended steps to reduce my risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes etc., I would think it wise to reduce my risk of Covid19 (even if I were not shielding for my wife's sake).
The recommended steps to reduce my risk of heart attacks are broadly speaking to quit smoking, drink less, exercise more and consider taking the odd tablet if that doesn't sort the blood pressure. Apart from smoking, which has largely been priced out of the market, people don't seem to be inclined to do any of those things. Why should they therefore start taking wild and drastic action to avoid something arbitrary in a similar risk category. The graph a few posts up isn't terribly current, but the comparative figures haven't changed a great deal, and where they have moved it has been downwards. According to that graph your risk is about 0.5% even if you catch it, and most of that risk is still to people with significant pre-existing conditions

Bikeman78

Established Member
Or maybe you don't. Maybe the risk is acceptable to you.

If I was 80 I would be ignoring shielding, to be honest. I might as well make use of the limited time left, and if it takes me out that's better than a stroke or dementia, as at that age it would be quite quick.
Agreed. If this happens again in 40 years or so, I won't be hiding at home. What's the point? To be honest my biggest dread is ending up in a care home. They are depressing places. I've had two members of my family in their mid 90s in them. Having both been very healthy and active, it was very sad to see them barely able to move, see or hear.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
That was a nice article, It would have been nice to see some more statistical comparisons along the lines of the often quoted "commuting daily from Swindon to London". How far must a child walk on the way to school before they're at more risk of an accident, than of death by COVID-19 caught in the classroom?
Kids under 15 are more likely to die in a road accident than of the virus. 50 deaths per year compared with three in two months. I presume that all the people saying they won't send their kids back to school will also stop driving them to school when they eventually do go back?

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
This completely misses the point. The NHS can cope with the normal annual death toll from flu and everything else, but there is not much slack in the system. When a new virus comes along which is contageous and there is no herd immunity and no vaccine, the virus propagates exponentially if no measures are taken. The potential of hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of extra hospital admissions (on top of the normal annual hospital admissions) will push the NHS into a state where it simply cannot cope. The whole point of the lockdown measures is to keep the infection rate and hospital admissions down to the point where the hospital can cope. It is not about risk to any individual, it is about avoiding a health care crisis on a country population scale.

It is like having a rail strike on the weekend before Christmas and claiming this would have no significant effect on road traffic because such a strike would only load another 5% of traffic onto the roads.

So please explain how Sweden’s hospitals have not been overwhelmed, despite NOT implementing similar measures to us.
Sweden also has lower deaths per capita from coronavirus, than the UK.

I understand the government’s message, but they don’t have my unquestioning trust. More people will die prematurely in the coming months and years because their cancer, heart disease and a myriad of other conditions go untreated, than will die from coronavirus.

The government stating unequivocally that lockdown works is rather like a man selling elephant repellent in Brixton Market. When you point out that you’ve never seen an elephant in south London, he will tell you ‘well there’s your proof that it’s effective’

Events in Sweden make me question the strategy here because the death rate per capita is lower than ours.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The recommended steps to reduce my risk of heart attacks are broadly speaking to quit smoking, drink less, exercise more and consider taking the odd tablet if that doesn't sort the blood pressure. Apart from smoking, which has largely been priced out of the market, people don't seem to be inclined to do any of those things. Why should they therefore start taking wild and drastic action to avoid something arbitrary in a similar risk category. The graph a few posts up isn't terribly current, but the comparative figures haven't changed a great deal, and where they have moved it has been downwards. According to that graph your risk is about 0.5% even if you catch it, and most of that risk is still to people with significant pre-existing conditions
Actually, the number of UK deaths so far represents 0.0541% of the population.

takno

Established Member
Actually, the number of UK deaths so far represents 0.0541% of the population.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. At 60 and assuming average health for that age, all the indications are that even if you catch it, the chances of you dying from it are 0.5%, or likely rather less as the number of people we think have had the disease has crept up quite a bit since those stats were accumulated.

The number of deaths generally is a data point so heavily driven by nursing home deaths that it's almost irrelevant to the wider population. Under 60 you are at so little risk that on a personal level it simply isn't worth considering, especially since it could distract you while crossing the road and put you in actual danger.

stevetay3

Why so much concern for older people, we do not have much time left anyway, so what time we have left we need to live life to the full . As people get older there risk of death Increase year in year out from all disease. Given the almost daily rate the official advice is being egnored by the people making the. rules, we may as well get back to normal asp.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Sorry, I should have been clearer. At 60 and assuming average health for that age, all the indications are that even if you catch it, the chances of you dying from it are 0.5%, or likely rather less as the number of people we think have had the disease has crept up quite a bit since those stats were accumulated.

The number of deaths generally is a data point so heavily driven by nursing home deaths that it's almost irrelevant to the wider population. Under 60 you are at so little risk that on a personal level it simply isn't worth considering, especially since it could distract you while crossing the road and put you in actual danger.
Precisely. The risk to under-60s is so small that lockdown is, for us, a huge overreaction. I had a free screening for bowel cancer in January last year, and was, thankfully, clear. How many people whose screenings for this and other cancers have been cancelled since this crisis began, are now going to die prematurely while hospital capacity is left idle, I wonder?

Enthusiast

Sweden is often cited as a comparison because of its lack of harsh lockdown measures. Sweden has about one sixth the population of the UK. It has about one eighth of the number of infections (assuming the reporting regime is similar in both countries). Sweden's population density, of course, is far lower than the UK (60 per sq.m as against 725). But just about the only lockdown measures they have introduced is the closure of high schools and the prevention of gatherings of more than 50 people. Most schools remain open; nearly all shops continue to trade and most significantly restaurants and bars remain open. This is an enormous difference to the UK and intuitively I would expect their infection fact to be considerably higher, even allowing for their comparatively rare population density. Something else of significance is that whilst the UK's rate of reported new infections has undoubtedly slowed since the beginning of May (seven day average was 4,800 on May 1st, 2,400 yesterday), Sweden's has not shown such a similar decrease (565/502). But....and it's a very big but, whilst Sweden may have to live with a relatively high rate of new infections for longer than the UK, their economy has not been trashed. More than that, I doubt there's anything like the fear factor there that there is here. They don't need much of an "exit strategy" - something which I believe the UK government is going to find extremely difficult to formulate and implement. The reason I believe this is that there is certainly a fear factor which has been introduced by the government and many people now are fearful of the lockdown being eased. (Many are also quite happy to remain at home whilst being paid, but that's another argument). I have believed all along that an extended lockdown would end up causing more problems than it prevents and some of the proposals now being bandied about for when restrictions are eased are frankly ludicrous. All they will do is reinforce the fear that is rife among the population and will take some shifting.

greyman42

Established Member
Why so much concern for older people, we do not have much time left anyway, so what time we have left we need to live life to the full . As people get older there risk of death Increase year in year out from all disease. Given the almost daily rate the official advice is being egnored by the people making the. rules, we may as well get back to normal asp.
This is the attitude of the majority of the retired people I have spoken to.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is the attitude of the majority of the retired people I have spoken to.

I've found this as well. The majority of the fear involving older people appears to be people in their 20s to 40s who fear losing their parents before time. I will admit to being a bit nervous about that possibility myself.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Today's death toll is confusing. BoJo has said 118 but other reports indicate 164. 118 while obviously tragic is far lower than last Sunday (apples and apples) but 164 would be almost parallel to last Sunday.

Can anyone explain? Of course we will see lower figures for three days now owing to the Bank Holiday.

6Gman

Established Member
With respect, the total number of deaths in any country is going to vary enormously even if the rate of infection were identical, due to huge variance in population.
The government here in the UK have consistently argued that these draconian social distancing measures are necessary for all segments of the population, which is patently a falsehood given the overwhelming majority of deaths have been in the ‘at risk’ groups they identified at the start of all this.
Look at the facts at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Sweden: lightweight measures, 396 deaths per 1million of population

UK: full lockdown, 541 deaths per 1million of population

It could be argued, with a U.K. population of about 67m, full lockdown has resulted in over 9,800 extra deaths than would have died under a Swedish-style approach to coronavirus

Except that there are many other differences between Sweden and the UK apart from the lockdown policies.

jumble

I personally think there are a huge amount of people who believe they have had the virus but have no idea if they actually had which if true makes some of the statistics complete nonsense ( My immediate family are in that category)
It seems extraordinary to me that in East and South London there has been widespread ignoring of the social distancing rules , and with all the rammed underground trains that London has such a low rate if infection now.
I was particularly amused reading yesterday that the Mail published 2 articles one of which claimed from JP Morgan study claimed Lockdown was a waste of time and another article from claimed that if the lockdown had been a week earlier thousands of lives would have been saved
All I can conclude is if we ask 2 scientists we will get 2 different answers and the truth is no one really knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.