• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus: Is this the end of physical cash? Will we go completely electronic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostrich

Dorset Council, at the start of the lockdown, closed their car parks along the coast and in beauty spots, but actually made all their other town car parks free to use.

A week ago, they announced the free car parks would revert to charging - but you could now only pay by Smartphone App or telephoning your bank details to a dedicated line, presumably at County Hall. Cash and card payments would not be accepted.

However, I've just read on social media that following "a backlash by Shaftesbury residents", they've done a U-Turn and the machines will once again accept cash and card. I gather one of the complaints was that here in the sticks, you find you can't get a decent mobile signal in half the local car-parks .....

Score 1 for the Luddites! :E

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Dorset Council, at the start of the lockdown, closed their car parks along the coast and in beauty spots, but actually made all their other town car parks free to use.

A week ago, they announced the free car parks would revert to charging - but you could now only pay by Smartphone App or telephoning your bank details to a dedicated line, presumably at County Hall. Cash and card payments would not be accepted.

However, I've just read on social media that following "a backlash by Shaftesbury residents", they've done a U-Turn and the machines will once again accept cash and card. I gather one of the complaints was that here in the sticks, you find you can't get a decent mobile signal in half the local car-parks .....

In Dudley, we still have parking machines from the early 90s in service (same make i believe as some of the PERTIS machines), with exact coin only - not even contactless, with a pending machine replacement (that has been pending since the parking manager before last started working on it five years ago) overdue.

underbank

Established Member

Lack of mobile phone signal is a very real issue in some places outside the cities and large towns. In our village of 6,000 people, the mobile signal is very patchy and that's only 5 miles from one city in one direction and 4 miles from a town in the other and not in a valley or on a hillside either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Lack of mobile phone signal is a very real issue in some places outside the cities and large towns. In our village of 6,000 people, the mobile signal is very patchy and that's only 5 miles from one city in one direction and 4 miles from a town in the other and not in a valley or on a hillside either.

Notably this is an issue with paying by card at the parking machines in Betws y Coed which use a mobile signal for authorising the card payments.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sounds like a classic case of those who authorised the machines for that location not understanding or checking if they were suitable for use/going to work there!

Indeed, or inadequate testing (if the signal is borderline, as it is there, things like weather conditions and where people queueing are standing will be enough to have an effect).

The fix would probably be a decent aerial on a stick.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Sounds like a classic case of those who authorised the machines for that location not understanding or checking if they were suitable for use/going to work there!
Similar stories in Llangrannog!
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49883876

"Unreasonable" parking fines are keeping visitors away from a seaside village, a councillor has warned.

A solar-powered ticket machine was installed on private land on Llangrannog's seafront in Ceredigion by One Parking Solutions in April.

But it is frequently out of charge and visitors are often unable to pay online or by text because of poor phone signal and wi-fi, Councillor Gwyn James said.

The company said to avoid a fine visitors should either pay or leave.

Mr James said visitors were being fined £100 for staying in the car park for 10 minutes without paying.

"I've received many complaints since the beginning of the summer," he said.

"It's all down to the machine being run on a solar panel. There are too many complaints to count - from England where the holidaymakers we rely on come from, but also from many locals too.

"There is another car park - a free one - which the county council operates but it's 800m away up the hill - and I know some people won't be able to walk the hill. So we need something down in the village."

In April One Parking Solution installed the ticket machine and cameras to recognise number plates of cars as they drive in.

If the machine is out of order car park users have a 10 minute grace period to pay by text, online or calling a number.

The ticket machine
Image captionThe ticket machine was installed in April
Gwenan Jenkins from Lampeter is appealing against a fine she was sent after taking her children to the beach.

She said: "When I went to pay for my ticket the machine wasn't working.

"Within about 20 minutes after keeping an eye on the machine I saw someone else buying a ticket so I ran over to the machine to buy a ticket but by then I was apparently outside the grace period of ten minutes."

She said she received a £100 fine through the post which would be reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days.

"I haven't paid as I'm appealing against the decision," she said.

"Going to Llangrannog is meant to be a pleasurable experience but this has put a real dampener on things. I don't know if I'll be going there again."

Julia Palframan, who owns the Patio Cafe next to the beach, said the issue was having "a very negative impact on the business and on the village as a whole".

"We have a lot of people contacting us by letter and by phone saying they have been fined. It's really not fair to any of us in the village - all we can say to people is, if you're fit enough, park in the free car park up the hill."

Helena Boyesen from Llangrannog Welfare Committee has started to keep a file of letters and complaints related to the car park.

"The small villages on the coast are virtually totally reliant for income and employment on tourism," she said.

"In many of the letters it says 'I shan't be visiting again'.

"Our concerns are that this could have some kind of effect on the economic sustainability of this village."

In a statement One Parking Solutions said: "If a driver disagrees with the clearly displayed terms of parking they have the choice to either leave the car park within the grace period or remain and accept a parking charge.

"Unfortunately some drivers choose to remain on site assuming that it's free parking if they have no change, mobile phone or they can't get a ticket from the onsite machine."

It added the default grace period of 10 minutes was is set out in the British Parking Association code of practice.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Indeed, or inadequate testing (if the signal is borderline, as it is there, things like weather conditions and where people queueing are standing will be enough to have an effect).

The fix would probably be a decent aerial on a stick.

In Llangrannog it would need to be a VERY tall stick!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In Llangrannog it would need to be a VERY tall stick!!

Yes, there are places it won't work...Betws is just a bit borderline, so an aerial on a streetlamp-sized pole would probably sort it, assuming running some sort of landline connection to it isn't feasible (which it might be as there are plenty of businesses nearby so the infrastructure will be there).

PG

Established Member
Similar stories in Llangrannog!
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49883876
At the end of the day because the car park is on private land its going to come down to whether or not the owner of the land can be persuaded to alter the current circumstances for the greater benefit of the local community.

Lets take it to extremes - shops close so hardly anyone uses the car park, thus no income for the land owner. All in all its a bit of an own goal.

Trackman

Established Member
The difficulty is that the costs of cash apply pretty much in full unless you completely stop accepting it. You still need to go to the bank (or have a cash courier do it) for £10 as much as you do £1000.
At my local shop they put it in the ATM.

Tom B

Established Member
And others just pay it in for free at the local Post Office who have agreements with several big banks.

Is this definitely for free? I understand that business banking attracts charges for all transactions (including credit card payments, cash deposits, cheque presentation etc). Depositing it via the Post Office would merely save time/cost of taking it to the central bank and/or engaging a security firm.

underbank

Established Member
Is this definitely for free? I understand that business banking attracts charges for all transactions (including credit card payments, cash deposits, cheque presentation etc). Depositing it via the Post Office would merely save time/cost of taking it to the central bank and/or engaging a security firm.

Yes, some banks provide free cash banking via Post Offices for some of their business tarriffs. Obviously, they have other charges but the overall charges don't change if you pay in cash.

island

Veteran Member
Most business banking accounts have a fee for cash deposits, though depending on tariff, the first X might be free.

Went out last night for a late night tipple.

The guy in front bought some cigs and tapped his card. All good so far, social distancing no cash payments etc etc. Then I witness the inevitable. He tapped his pocket and went "F!"£"!$ forgot a lighter" He asked to buy a lighter on his card but was refused. A quick, and thankfully short discussion and the shop guy let him tap the card.

Shops that usually had minimum payments for card etc are having to swallow horrendous card charges. It's Ok in the supermarket as you can tap whatever amount you want and the till person won't even blink. To push towards a cashless society, banking charges really need to come down.
“Horrendous card charges” are a thing of the past. Anyone can get an iZettle/Square/PayPal terminal which costs maybe £30 to set up and less than 2% per transaction.

sheff1

Established Member
Well over two months on from the OP in this thread, I went into Home Bargains today for a couple of things. Three people in front of me at the checkpoint, all paid by cash. The operator clearly expected me to be paying in cash as well and took a few seconds to realise I had a card and press the necessary button(s).

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes when the 'non-essential' shops which were cash only start to re-open in the near future. Certainly the chippy and Chinese have remained firmly cash only throughout.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
To be honest, I'm not that bothered if British, American and German owned supermarkets know what I eat, the Council owned library and charitable bookshops know what books I've read, anyone knows that I subscribe to Private Eye or am a member of the British Computer Society, National Trust and 125 Group, or Scottish, Welsh, German, French and Spanish owned transport companies know where I've been.

I'm surprised you post on Internet forums though.
… am sure a lot of people said similar stuff back in the 1930s.

johnnychips

Established Member
Well over two months on from the OP in this thread, I went into Home Bargains today for a couple of things. Three people in front of me at the checkpoint, all paid by cash. The operator clearly expected me to be paying in cash as well and took a few seconds to realise I had a card and press the necessary button(s).

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes when the 'non-essential' shops which were cash only start to re-open in the near future. Certainly the chippy and Chinese have remained firmly cash only throughout.

Yes, all the kebab shops are opening on London Road. I had a brilliant Lamb Shish from the Tazechstan place (I may have spelt this wrongly) but it was strictly cash only.

MikeWM

Established Member
All the takeaway places in Cromer on Tuesday seemed to be cash-only. Certainly the guy on the seafront I bought fish and chips from had a big sign saying such.

Closer to home, the Chinese takeaway at the end of my street remains cash-only too.

So I think we have a way to go before cash dies out, thank goodness. Unfortunately revent events will probably accelerate moving away from cash, but it isn't dead yet!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, any shop that *does not* allow paying in cash going forwards, at least for small amounts, will not be getting my business.

Iskra

Established Member
All the takeaway places in Cromer on Tuesday seemed to be cash-only. Certainly the guy on the seafront I bought fish and chips from had a big sign saying such.

Closer to home, the Chinese takeaway at the end of my street remains cash-only too.

So I think we have a way to go before cash dies out, thank goodness. Unfortunately revent events will probably accelerate moving away from cash, but it isn't dead yet!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, any shop that *does not* allow paying in cash going forwards, at least for small amounts, will not be getting my business.

Why? Surely just presenting a contactless card is quicker and easier than faffing with change and then being handed rusty, pointless and potentially infectious disease carrying coppers in return?

For businesses, dispensing with cash simplifies things massively and saves a lot of time and money. For the authorities it makes tax-dodging, fraud and illegal business harder. I don't see why anyone would miss it.

nlogax

Established Member
Why? Surely just presenting a contactless card is quicker and easier than faffing with change and then being handed rusty, pointless and potentially infectious disease carrying coppers in return?

For some the tactility of physical money will always be more important than the convenience of other methods. Feeling like you physically -have- something in your pocket and have control over where it is and to whom it goes to still appears to be something people value.

Personally I'd rather travel light and not have notes and coins filling my pockets, but each to their own. C-19 will absolutely speed the demise of physical cash, if not killing it entirely.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
Personally I'd rather travel light and not have notes and coins filling my pockets, but each to their own.

Indeed so. There is an unfortunate trend (here and in wider society as a whole) to say 'well, I prefer doing things this way, so everyone else should be forced to', without appreciation or consideration of the reasons why people prefer the alternative.

I'm not trying to stop people using alternatives to cash if they prefer to. Why try to stop me using cash, when I prefer to? (and there are a number of reasons mentioned in the many pages of this thread as to why some people prefer to use cash).

underbank

Established Member

Our convenience store went "card only" a week or two after lockdown started, but have soon returned to accepting cash again. The owner said they had a lot of complaints and lost a fair number of customers. He said it was ok when they were stupidly busy due to the panic buying and lack of supermarket delivery slots, but his turnover has fallen down quite a lot now the supermarkets have got their act together and he really couldn't afford to alienate local customers who wanted to pay in cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.