• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus - should TOCs stop selling Advance tickets now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally I believe they should - the best is to offer flexibility then there won't be a need to annoy people or refund things. Offer a discount to key workers if applicable.

Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’d agree. They primarily benefit leisure travellers and we should be discouraging them from travelling just now anyway.

BJames

Established Member
Absolutely agree. The point is that we need people to stop travelling, and lower fares hardly encourage that. They should stop selling them until we pull through this crisis.

Grant Shapps has just this morning announced fee-free refunds on all advance tickets, so I highly doubt that they will want to be selling many more - besides, TOCs are reducing services and will continue to do so, so they really shouldn't sell advances when they're not really even sure that the service will run (I know, you can just take the next one - but I still stand by the fact that they are currently unnecessary).

Master29

Established Member
Another question could also be as to why the regulatory bodies should change the policy concerning advanced tickets but I take the point that discouraging leisure travel is paramount at this time. I suppose the fact they are often very much cheaper tickets is another reason they aren't refundable in most cases. The idea of a discount for key workers is very sensible too.

alistairlees

Established Member
Personally I believe they should - the best is to offer flexibility then there won't be a need to annoy people or refund things. Offer a discount to key workers if applicable.

Thoughts?
Essential workers should have fares increased? Great idea.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Essential workers should have fares increased? Great idea.
At this point I'd suggest any key worker travelling with works ID or a letter form their employer confirming their status should travel for free...

matt_world2004

Established Member
Maybe they should stop selling privs given they are only to be used for leisure travel

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But most of these workers surely make local journeys to get to work where advance tickets aren’t worthwhile?
Advance tickets are "worthwhile" for all sorts of journeys that I would count as "local", such as York to Leeds.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Advance tickets are "worthwhile" for all sorts of journeys that I would count as "local", such as York to Leeds.
But is the price saving - one advantage of advance tickets, for example - worthwhile to keep these tickets available whilst also trying to discourage non-essential journeys?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm surprised actually that RSTL have not issued such an instruction i.e. that all priv leisure travel facilities are now suspended until further notice.

Agreed, along with staff travel passes. They can use them for travelling to/from work, but not for random leisure jollys when they are not working

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I would to further discourage travel but offer significant discounts to those who can prove they absolutely must travel such as emergency workers.

MDB1images

Advance tickets are generally used for leisure travel but some businesses have been known to book a lot of tickets in advance.
As a rule I'd say the essential workers will be on Season/Local authority style tickets or day returns.

Haven't seen a Priv or Box for a while as I suspect the majority in the industry having seen the umpteen briefs get the severity of what is happening.

EVERYONE regardless of ticket type needs to stop travelling now unless totally essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.