• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus virus fears causing panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
We bought a 2-wheeled shopping thingy last year - instead of using a backpack and shopping bags - but you need not to overload it if the hill is too steep.
I'm not old enough to be seen with one of those! But I have a suitcase with good enough wheels that it can be pulled for longish distances, and could use that if I had to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Some social media reports coming in of bins with lots of out of date food being dumped. Such a waste.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Some social media reports coming in of bins with lots of out of date food being dumped. Such a waste.

Are people really that stupid not to realise that fresh food doesn't last for twelve weeks?

I can only imagine that a) they didn't realise the capacity of their fridges and freezers were finite, b) thought they would be able to sell food on the black market or c) didn't realise the short shelf life of some goods.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are people really that stupid not to realise that fresh food doesn't last for twelve weeks?

Depending what it is it can do - for instance cook your fresh vegetables up in a stew or whatever and freeze as DIY ready meals. I suspect those people are too ignorant to do that, though, and obviously salad type stuff (other than tomatoes) isn't much use there.

Meerkat

Established Member
Depending what it is it can do - for instance cook your fresh vegetables up in a stew or whatever and freeze as DIY ready meals. I suspect those people are too ignorant to do that, though, and obviously salad type stuff (other than tomatoes) isn't much use there.
Their freezer is chock full of frozen stuff!

Meerkat

Established Member
Fair point, I'm thinking in my own little bubble, I don't really buy frozen stuff at all, I cook fresh and freeze it myself.
My lack of freezer use became apparent when I brought back my emergency food buffer and then had to play Tetris to fit it in the surprisingly small freezer bit of my fridge freezer!
How do you know how long to reheat your frozen concoctions for? I am unduly worried about food poisoning and struggle to cook (or do anything really!) without procedures...

SHD

I managed to pick up some bread flour in Lidl, but no yeast!

Sounds like we will have to grow our own yeast... from grain/flour or from fruit (yeast is frequently found on fruit skins, especially grapes)​

GB

Established Member
So long as you don’t freeze, defrost and then re freeze you will be fine...the food has already been fully cooked before you freeze it, you are literally just reheating it.

Raw fresh meats should be fully defrosted before use though.

AndrewE

Established Member

Sounds like we will have to grow our own yeast... from grain/flour or from fruit (yeast is frequently found on fruit skins, especially grapes)​
Sourdough bread. It's lovely, but takes a little while to get going - a bit like feeding a ginger beer plant, except that it supplies its own yeast (and rises slower).

SHD

Sourdough bread. It's lovely, but takes a little while to get going - a bit like feeding a ginger beer plant, except that it supplies its own yeast (and rises slower).

Exactly!
It does take a while to get going but we have six weeks ahead of us, don’t we? :lol:

trainophile

Established Member
Made my first online order this morning, managed to get a delivery slot for tomorrow evening. Of course whether anything actually arrives is another matter. Couldn't even order loo rolls, eggs, yoghurt. Delivery slots only available for those over state pension age.

No panic ordering though, I had to make it up with two bottles of wine for free delivery.

hooverboy

On Moderation
some of it maybe legit after the amount of panic buying, obviously perishables like bread,fruit,dairy and vegetables do not keep at all well.

the other part of it maybe because people are confined to their homes, just think of all those lunch packages etc that would have normally ended up in the company/school bin,that are now being stuffed into domestic refuse.

hooverboy

On Moderation
indeed.A lot of people these days can't cook at all!

stew is not exactly difficult, but a lot of people can't even make those properly.
slow cookers are a godsend though!
It's possible to make a very tasty stew/chilli/pasta sauce/soup or broth that lasts days with minimal effort and cost.
As you say, the leftovers can easily be frozen for further use.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How do you know how long to reheat your frozen concoctions for? I am unduly worried about food poisoning and struggle to cook (or do anything really!) without procedures...

If you put it pretty much straight in the freezer once it's cooled a bit "until it's hot" is fine, because the nasties won't have chance to grow on it. But if you want to be really sure buy a food thermometer (they're pennies off Amazon) and ensure you heat to about 80 degrees Celsius. (The guideline in England and Wales is 75, but in Scotland 82, bizarrely!) Make sure you probe in several places as microwaves have a habit of heating things unevenly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
some of it maybe legit after the amount of panic buying, obviously perishables like bread,fruit,dairy and vegetables do not keep at all well..

You can freeze bread and dairy (it absolutely amazes me how few people know this). Not eggs but I don't really eat them, you could perhaps make small omelettes or poach and freeze those, though. Fruit I'll give you, but apples and oranges/easy peelers last ages in the fridge, it's bananas and soft fruits that go off really quickly. Veg, once you see them starting to turn cook them up into a sauce based dish (or with potatoes, bake them) and freeze.

Not wasting food is surprisingly easy with a small amount of thought. Salad is the only one where it can be difficult, but I'm tending towards using pickled gherkins instead of cucumber for an occasional sandwich, for example.

hooverboy

On Moderation
If you put it pretty much straight in the freezer once it's cooled a bit "until it's hot" is fine, because the nasties won't have chance to grow on it. But if you want to be really sure buy a food thermometer (they're pennies off Amazon) and ensure you heat to about 80 degrees Celsius. (The guideline in England and Wales is 75, but in Scotland 82, bizarrely!) Make sure you probe in several places as microwaves have a habit of heating things unevenly.
yup.

Nothing much to worry about if properly cooked.
1)anything pork or poultry based you should always play it safe and cook lower and longer.it's essential that these get cooked through properly.I would use a tradional cooker/oven/slow cooker for this rather than a microwave.
2)always wash your hands directly after handling raw meat,eggs
3)use seperate utensils for cutting different meats/poutries.wash frequently.
4)rice dishes ideally should be prepared fresh.It is possible to get little organisms on rice that can survive the reheat process(especially when left over at room temp before),which can mutliply and cause you some stomach issues.

Its been a while since I did basic food hygiene, but the "kill point" for bugs if i remember correctly is 63C, but you should aim for the equivalent of pasteurisation when cooking, which is 72C throughout for at least 10mins.

I usually work on the principal of cooking time about 1hr per kilo of meat (its supposed to be 20 mins/lb for beef and 25mins/lb poutry and pork),and then add 30 mins, then remove and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
1)anything pork or poultry based you should always play it safe and cook lower and longer
See that’s the problem I have with cooking. I need procedures and numbers but too much guidance is “lower”, “longer”, “til it’s hot through”, “brown the mince” (which my mind immediately asks ‘how brown?’)

hooverboy

On Moderation
See that’s the problem I have with cooking. I need procedures and numbers but too much guidance is “lower”, “longer”, “til it’s hot through”, “brown the mince” (which my mind immediately asks ‘how brown?’)
for mince, it's dead easy. you will get a feel for how brown.
when you cook it, you should not see any pink bits and it should be a firm-ish texture rather than soft and squishy when you prod it.

do you cook on gas or electric oven?
you need to look at the way your joint of meat looks....if it is long and thin then it will cook through quicker than short and thick.
short,thick joints you should cook for longer at a slightly lower temperature.

cooking procedure-as I said before , preheat oven first to operating temp.
then 1hr/kilo(under foil/in roasting tin)
+ 30 mins( foil or cover removed)
+ 10-15 mins out of oven standing time before serving.

i would say under normal circumstances a meat joint should go in around gas mark 4/ 180c on electric.
In the case of something like a huge 3-4kg christmas ham I would lower that to gas mark 3, but have it on for something like 5 hours.

cooking is quite subjective-there is not a set process for taste, but there are guidelines for safety.
It depends on the tastes of the people you are cooking for. Some people have steak rare, some prefer well done.You will find your own sweet spot for cookery by experimentation!

Last edited:

SHD

1 hour per kilogram - good ballpark figure but it does depend on the meat. For example it will be good for a veal roast (I know that it’s not very popular round your parts), but a for a nice and juicy beef roast (ideally taken from the filet) you can halve that, unless you like eating shoe soles! :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not old enough to be seen with one of those! But I have a suitcase with good enough wheels that it can be pulled for longish distances, and could use that if I had to.
I'm so old my two-wheeled shopping thingy won't be seen with me :lol: Actually, I resist my sister's attempts to get me to use one several times a year, as I hate the things and their inconveniences (for me) outweigh any conveniences.

Meerkat

Established Member
1 hour per kilogram - good ballpark figure but it does depend on the meat. For example it will be good for a veal roast (I know that it’s not very popular round your parts), but a for a nice and juicy beef roast (ideally taken from the filet) you can halve that, unless you like eating shoe soles! :D
See, this is what I mean - all these judgement calls just aren’t the formulas and procedures my mind needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.