• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus virus fears causing panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

R G NOW.

Lucky you! I've been trying to get a delivery or "Click & Collect slot from Tesco, Sainsbury and ASDA since last weekend. None available. On Thursday night I actually logged in to Tesco just before midnight and watched the slot dates move forward a day as midnight struck. I went immediately to "book a slot" (possibly about 20 seconds after midnight) and none were available for the day that had just been added to the rota.
What went wrong there. I was lucky I think being in Gloucester. Our site puts some up from time to time. Perhaps you out to move to Gloucester, also the virus seems to be low risk here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Perhaps you out to move to Gloucester, also the virus seems to be low risk here.

The point is of course that the virus only remains low risk while people follow the government's guidance and don't allow it to spread.

tsr

Established Member
But they won't be doing that will they as that is non essential travel? Or doesn't the Government advice apply to them?

Judging by the sheer amount of people doing apparently non-essential stuff over the last few days in my area (retail parks absolutely full, even ones without supermarkets in them; leisure centre car parks full to bursting until yesterday; witnessed a couple of golf clubs in full operation when out walking today and a martial arts centre disgorging large numbers of kids earlier) there are plenty of ignorant people who just don’t get the social distancing thing, and won’t understand the “essential journeys only” thing either.

Graeme

I work in the NHS. We’re having a hard enough job coping at the moment without people thinking the rules or the advice doesn’t apply to them and therefore potentially causing more cases which will inevitably tip the system beyond breaking point.... if only those of you contemplating non-urgent travel could see otherwise fit and healthy people fighting for breath then you might have a different view. I hope none of you ever do have to see it.

Everyone has their own part to play during this crisis. Before you decide to go out or mix with others beyond your immediate family, think about the possible consequences and ask yourself “is your journey or activity really necessary”? Please - for the good of your family, neighbours, colleagues and everyone else - think about it.

PG

Established Member
It could become a supply issue if farmers don't get workers to harvest, though if you're out of work applying to do that would be a good idea.
Think back a few months when we were being told that one consequence of brexit (remember that!) would be a shortage of harvest workers. Well they sure as hell won't be coming from mainland Europe now to harvest in the UK. Anyone in the UK in a position to do so might as well apply to work harvesting.

MP33

I have been on home working since last Tuesday. I go down the station to get a copy of the Metro, however this is around 5.30 am when now it is almost deserted.

Why is that Marks and Spencers appear to have a good choice of items and people re-stocking shelves and the really expensive joints of meat that they sell are abundant? I have not been panic buying but building up stocks. When I finish working it is in time for the afternoon press conference from No. 10. After a statement last week I am aiming to be stocked up for 12 weeks time starting Monday. As the number of weeks reduce there is less need to keep stock. One of the statements made at the press conference is that the crisis is at stage 2. When the closure order is reviewed after a month and if it is lifted, consideration as to going back to stage 1 will be given.

I read a statistic of where we are compared to other Countries. We are behind Italy, however at the same stage as us, the death rate in Italy was running at a much higher figure.

Darandio

Established Member
I have not been panic buying but building up stocks. When I finish working it is in time for the afternoon press conference from No. 10. After a statement last week I am aiming to be stocked up for 12 weeks time starting Monday.

Buying 12 weeks worth of shopping in one week is panic buying, you are just trying to give it a different name. Others are doing the same and that's where the issue lies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Had to go shopping today - which meant going by train, as it happens. The shops in Epsom are pretty much useless these days.

Just to re-assure you lot that I wasn’t blundering around London at random or slipping a sneaky bashing trip in, here’s my phone trace for the day ( image at bottom of post )!

Plus, surprisingly, I was able to get everything I aimed to get in the one shop; I had expected that I might need to visit two, three, even four different shops to clear my list. Which is another reason for using Thornton Heath – there’s several other large shops within a couple of miles. Contrast that to my normal regular Tesco, which is a 10 – 15 minute walk from a station between Epsom and Wimbledon but with no other shops nearby.

What I was after today was mainly meats and frozens plus a few snacks for the cupboard to keep the family going during the day and two packets of cereal.

There were, however, still a lot of empty shelves, just not for products on my list today. These were mainly the usual suspects; toilet roll and related products, milk, cheese, bread, potatoes. There was stock of most other items, although a bit thin in places.

Destination: Tesco store at Thornton Heath ( nearest big one which is next door to a station ).

Route out: Epsom to Clapham Junction, change there for Thornton Heath. That’s the straight line showing from Epsom to near Putney / Fulham and then diagonally down right to the big circle on the end.

Route back: Thornton Heath to Tulse Hill ( there’s a cross-platform connection there; no footbridge needed – useful when carrying loaded shopping bags ). Tulse Hill is the big circle near Brixton. From Tulse Hill to Sutton via Wimbledon; the reason I didn’t get off at Wimbledon was the connection just missed and I could get home just as quickly by carrying on to Sutton and getting a train from there to Epsom. At both Wimbledon and Sutton there’s a footbridge involved so it made no difference in that respect either.

upload_2020-3-21_21-26-57.png

edwin_m

Veteran Member
For most of the population I think it's reasonable to have enough food in the house to last for a couple of weeks, as they may need to go into self-isolation for that period without any warning. Maybe friends and neighbours could help, but they might be in isolation at the same time, and online ordering isn't to be relied on at present because the lead time is also about two weeks and there's no guarantee of receiving everything ordered.

Those who should be isolating for the duration, however long that it, will need some means of external support to obtain supplies.

MP33

I see that there is a description of a successful shopping trip where the choice of stores was chosen carefully. There is Sainsbury's 10 minutes walk from my house with a car park for less than 10 cars. I will have to investigate as i am sure that rivals for the merchandise will be too busy fighting over the parking spaces although they could walk there easily. It is on two frequent Bus routes as well.

Esker-pades

Established Member
But they won't be doing that will they as that is non essential travel? Or doesn't the Government advice apply to them?
Bearing in mind that the Waitrose Essentials range includes smoked salmon, lavender soap and parmeggiano cheese, the word "essential" has different meanings to different people.

Some people I know have been sharing a Facebook post from a Scottish Highland MP asking people not to come to the Highlands to self-isolate. On that basis, I would imagine that there are a number of absolute planks going to their rural holiday home to spread the virus more effectively.

In Iran, when the government announced a 2-week suspension of most activity, the metropolitan middle-classes all swanned off to their retreats in other parts of the country. There were large outbreaks in those places too.

Basically, there is a sizeable chunk of population who either don't understand yet, or are just utter tits.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have not been panic buying but building up stocks.

Potato = potato.

Shops have supply chains that can cope with usual demand plus around 10-20%. If even only 1 out of every 10 people tried to do three months shopping in a week, As you seem to have done, then demand increases by more than 100%, and we have empty shelves, and the old, vulnerable and key workers can’t buy essentials.

There is no country in the world that has gone into lockdown where food shops are not accessible. If you have the slightest semblance of a conscience, you’ll take 10 weeks of your ‘stockpile’ to the nearest hospital and give it NHS staff as they come off duty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I see that there is a description of a successful shopping trip where the choice of stores was chosen carefully.

Yes, I planned it knowing there were alternates available nearby that I could get to easily if I had to without having to go hither and thither all over the system and which would also provide an easy route back home. That the prime target just happened to have all the stock I needed was a very fortunate benefit.

Last edited:

Tom B

Established Member
I said this many pages ago, but I think the point still stands. Even when things as 'normal', it is surely sensible and logical to have a supply of long-life food in the house - for use in severe weather, or if you fall ill, or simply get home late and are too tired to go out shopping. I usually have sufficient tins or frozen things for a week at least, using and replacing them in rotation. I realise that this means that at any one time, you may have money tied up in food, but I wouldn't imagine it to be more than £25-30 worth.

I went to Costco earlier - they had bouncers on the doors, and a list of items which were sold out, but most staples were obtainable. I went past the tomato soup etc but did not purchase any since I have half a tray still at home - when this runs down I'll buy another.

Socanxdis

Any idea where I can get hand sanitiser? I've tried pretty much everywhere but it's out of stock.

SHD

Any idea where I can get hand sanitiser? I've tried pretty much everywhere but it's out of stock.

I posted a recipe to make your own earlier in the thread.
the one with the cheapest vodka was a joke, but the one with ethanol (from a DIY store, where it is sold as fuel for certain categories of stoves and fireplaces), water, and glycerin was not.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Some people I know have been sharing a Facebook post from a Scottish Highland MP asking people not to come to the Highlands to self-isolate. On that basis, I would imagine that there are a number of absolute planks going to their rural holiday home to spread the virus more effectively

Some caravan parks in Snowdonia and Pembrokshire are closing their doors for a similar reason: not wanting to tempt crowds over here, lest they fall ill and rely on a rural health service. Local politicians are also starting to voice their concerns.

Further reading: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/51982197 (Welsh)
Another article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51990604 (English)

Peter Kelford

Save for a strict requirement and enforcement, I somehow doubt that people will in the absence of police road controls.

trainophile

Established Member
I posted a recipe to make your own earlier in the thread.
the one with the cheapest vodka was a joke, but the one with ethanol (from a DIY store, where it is sold as fuel for certain categories of stoves and fireplaces), water, and glycerin was not.

Considering the main reason most of us need hand sanitiser is when we're out and about, and everyone except essential workers will be at home for the foreseeable, the demand for it should reduce. However I'm not sure whether supplies of it are even getting as far as the shops recently.

Adsy125

Potato = potato.

Shops have supply chains that can cope with usual demand plus around 10-20%. If even only 1 out of every 10 people tried to do three months shopping in a week, As you seem to have done, then demand increases by more than 100%, and we have empty shelves, and the old, vulnerable and key workers can’t buy essentials.

There is no country in the world that has gone into lockdown where food shops are not accessible. If you have the slightest semblance of a conscience, you’ll take 10 weeks of your ‘stockpile’ to the nearest hospital and give it NHS staff as they come off duty.
The situation isn't quite that bad, I'm aware of one supermarket which has said even with 40% higher demand than the same time this year the shelves would be full of fresh food within a matter of days and ambient products in a week, however the current sales aren't sustainable and have been relying on what's on the shelves and sitting around in shop warehouses.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'm still struggling from not being able to purchase any new toilet paper, pasta, paracetamol or soap from any of the shops I've been in since shopping on 11 - 12 March. I don't have car access personally so I'm in the habit of picking up small amounts of goods fairly frequently.

In parts of Greater Manchester small shops seem to be suffering as much large supermarkets.

I'm not a 'key worker' and I'm getting by fairly happily with what I already had and what friends and others have also offered. It's not a major problem. But much longer and the inconvenience will increase. The worry I have is the toilet paper substitutes I have, including baby wipes and paper towels, aren't going in the bin everywhere. It's really important not to flush these!!

I'm currently well without symptoms, but if I were ill I'd be worried about supplies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's really important not to flush these!!

It's sadly proving to already be too late...

Panic buying of toilet roll is leading to blocked sewers because those left without toilet paper are being forced to use alternatives and are disposing of them incorrectly.

The warning comes from water company Northumbrian Water, which said an increasing number of people were flushing wipes, kitchen roll and newspaper down the toilet.

The company said it understood people were "only improvising" but the consequences could be "devastating" to homes and the environment.

Link

MDB1images

Wife went doing the shop earlier and said pretty much everything in stock so either the idiots are lacking storage space for the things they over bought or the supply chain has been simplified.
Hopefully this self made 'crisis' will subside over the next week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.