• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus virus fears causing panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Why not? Poundland sells food, toiletries, cleansing materials - all essentials.
... andwill probably be advised to restrict the number of cutomers in their shops in just the same way as the supermarkets.

Meerkat

Established Member
The one I saw had almost no customers, probably due to being in a shopping centre that is otherwise shutdown......

broadgage

If it's at least 60% alcohol ( as recommended) it should last a long time.
My concern would be that the containers might not be perfectly sealed, or that the plastic might be slightly pervious, and that the alcohol might evaporate.
Note that petrol slowly evaporates from sealed plastic cans. I fear that alcohol might do the same.

Jayden99

Might just be a consequence of my local Tesco being the biggest in Scotland (bonus question for supermarket trivia fans) but I've just been in to buy shopping that I actually need and they were out of basically all cleaning supplies, most butter, flour, and pasta. The toilet roll aisle was completely barren

High Dyke

Established Member
I see that Wilko and Poundland are apparently essential shops!
Quicker to get your bog roll there than join the queues to get into the supermarkets!
Aye, but the quality of the Poundland roll doesn't seem to match Asda own brand (our usual purchase).

Mixed view this morning. My first need to go shopping this week, but then mainly for my elderly mother. Morrison's had plenty of bread, milk and eggs - really essential basics, though hardly any biscuits. M&S had no eggs whatsoever.

andythebrave

Might just be a consequence of my local Tesco being the biggest in Scotland (bonus question for supermarket trivia fans) but I've just been in to buy shopping that I actually need and they were out of basically all cleaning supplies, most butter, flour, and pasta. The toilet roll aisle was completely barren
Silverburn.
I claim my prize

Red Onion

Tesco seem to be really struggling to restock up this way, I get the impression in some of the stores it’s a major struggle. Yet just about every other store is managing fine, I get just about anything I need between Aldi, Asda and some local stores. I really do hope they can get on top of it soon.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Got the last 18 pack of "Nicky" toilet rolls (the best brand!) from Leeds city centre Home Bargains tonight. As I live alone that should see me through any quarantine period - no more panic buying bog rolls for me!

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Got the last 18 pack of "Nicky" toilet rolls (the best brand!) from Leeds city centre Home Bargains tonight. As I live alone that should see me through any quarantine period - no more panic buying bog rolls for me!

Trade you for some shares in First :)

AndrewE

Established Member
I don't understand why full-size Shredded Wheat (or own-brand equivalents) have disappeared. Sometimes you see the bite-sized ones, but no proper ones. Other cereals are still available...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't understand why full-size Shredded Wheat (or own-brand equivalents) have disappeared. Sometimes you see the bite-sized ones, but no proper ones. Other cereals are still available...

Weren't some supermarkets reducing the number of ranges of certain items? That might have included cereals?

tsr

Established Member
While this is probably to be avoided due to accident risk (the NHS could do without it) the risk of spreading it through going for a drive alone is probably lower than a walk or run.

I had to take significant evasive action due to dopey drivers no less than 4 times on a 25 minute drive to work today, and that was with driving more carefully than usual. Colleagues mention similar.

As you rightly allude to, it's a case of being a bad idea because it's liable to cause an accident, either leading at worst to hospitalisation, or at best an exchange of details and recovery, which would be a very unnecessary social contact and a poor use of time.

There are also fewer key workers than usual due to sickness and self-isolation. There may be nobody to cover for me or many others if we have an accident on the way to work. Clearing the roads of non-essential travel is a good way to help achieve this.

Why not? Poundland sells food, toiletries, cleansing materials - all essentials.

I'd argue the same for Wilko - certainly my local one. OK, not much food, but all sorts of other essentials, including hardware stuff as well.

The bite-sized ones are far superior anyway... always in stock at my local Sainsbury's too.

Saint66

I had to take significant evasive action due to dopey drivers no less than 4 times on a 25 minute drive to work today, and that was with driving more carefully than usual. Colleagues mention similar.

As you rightly allude to, it's a case of being a bad idea because it's liable to cause an accident, either leading at worst to hospitalisation, or at best an exchange of details and recovery, which would be a very unnecessary social contact and a poor use of time.

There are also fewer key workers than usual due to sickness and self-isolation. There may be nobody to cover for me or many others if we have an accident on the way to work. Clearing the roads of non-essential travel is a good way to help achieve this.

I'd argue the same for Wilko - certainly my local one. OK, not much food, but all sorts of other essentials, including hardware stuff as well.

The bite-sized ones are far superior anyway... always in stock at my local Sainsbury's too.

Our local Wilkos is proving to be the only place around here where I can get pet food at the moment, so I’m very glad they’ve stayed open! They also have good supplies of toilet roll and other basic essentials.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Managed to get all I need (not necessarily all what I wanted) for another week (at least) indoors at my local smallish co-op this morning. I'm really glad I'm avoiding the massive superstores.

Domh245

Established Member
I'm currently queuing up to try and get into my local Lidl. Hopefully they've got everything I need as I don't fancy queueing again

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm currently queuing up to try and get into my local Lidl. Hopefully they've got everything I need as I don't fancy queueing again
If you're only allowed one shopping trip a day and the shop you go to doesn't have what you need, are you allowed to go somewhere else or have to wait until the next day?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If you're only allowed one shopping trip a day and the shop you go to doesn't have what you need, are you allowed to go somewhere else or have to wait until the next day?

You mean going straight to another shop or going home and going out again later?

nidave

I thought it was once a week shopping trip and once a day exercise. - could be wrong though

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought it was once a week shopping trip and once a day exercise. - could be wrong though
Shopping was supposed to be as infrequently 'as possible' which is nice and vague. Again feels like another case of don't take the proverbial.

nidave

Shopping was supposed to be as infrequently 'as possible' which is nice and vague. Again feels like another case of don't take the proverbial.
One thing I have been doing a lot of is cooking proper meals - looking at what's in the fridge and making things up - as well as looking at recipes - I have discovered I am pretty good at it (nothing special) but more importantly I enjoy cooking.

I ordered a food box from a farm posted on Facebook - forgot how nice fresh veg is compared to the stuff in supermarkets - if I don't have to travel as much as previously (for work) I am going to be doing a lot more ordering from places like that and the rest from aldi

Meerkat

Established Member
You have to be vague in the age of social media. You set a limit and get deluged by ‘what about’ rare cases

Darandio

Established Member

Even the essential trips for medicine advice isn't working here. Had to order a new prescription last week for my partner who had an operation to remove her thyroid on 12th March. Was told to go to the pharmacy any time after Wednesday this week so left it until today. After 25 minutes of social distance queuing then entering some weird chamber containing screens, hazard tape and people wearing masks, it turns out it wasn't even there, had to ring the practice who said they had messed up and that i'd have to ring up again later today before going out to collect it again.

It would be easy to defend them by saying they are over-stressed at this point, but they are generally pretty good at cocking up anyway. Two trips today instead of one it is then, and god knows how long i'll have to queue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.