• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus words of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Covideo party - via Zoom or Skype
Covexit
Blursday
the 'rona
WFH
Superheroes work here - at local care home

brad465

Established Member
I've recently seen "Covid-1984" circulating online by some do describe the extent and purpose of restrictions in place as they see it.

WestRiding

We had a train run empty the other day to its final destination, Sheffield, because someone had been sick on it. The 'Bio Hazzard Team' were waiting for it at Sheffield. Cleaners, then........

brad465

Established Member
"Fire-break" is the term the Wales first minister is quoting for their version of a circuit breaker lockdown.

(Apologies I'm on my phone so can't quote the link easily)

kez19

Established Member
Scottish Government ad titled:
16 day Temporary Coronavirus Reset... more intrigued by “reset” didn’t realise we were resetting game consoles :lol::lol:

westv

Established Member
Has "circuit breaker" been mentioned yet?
Edit: Oh yes it has.

My Italian class has been transferred to Zoom. For one lesson our British/Italian teacher was at her family home in Italy. We asked her what is the Italian for lockdown .She replied "lockdown".

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My Italian class has been transferred to Zoom. For one lesson our British/Italian teacher was at her family home in Italy. We asked her what is the Italian for lockdown .She replied "lockdown".

Not "confinamento" ( singular ) or "blocchi" ( plural ), then?

Not "confinamento" ( singular ) or "blocchi" ( plural ), then?
Apparently not. Although the words you quote would convey the meaning they prefer to use the English. Another word with no apparent Italian equivalent is "internet".

SteveM70

Established Member
Government:
- straining every sinew
- working every hour
- in lockstep

My work
- I think you’re on mute

adc82140

Established Member
What about fire break, circuit breaker or coronavirus reset?
Circuit breaker is a terrible metaphor anyway. If a circuit trips, something has caused it to do that. Just leaving it and trying to switch back on without investigating the cause does not fix your problem.

kez19

Established Member
Circuit breaker is a terrible metaphor anyway. If a circuit trips, something has caused it to do that. Just leaving it and trying to switch back on without investigating the cause does not fix your problem.

When I think of circuit breaker I think of the programme... record breakers (no idea why!) :lol::lol:

kez19

Established Member
Tier(s) ... 1,2,3....
"offload"
"driving ambition" -- edit from Sturgeon broadcast 20/10/20

nlogax

Established Member

kez19

Established Member
Doomscrolling is my current favorite. A lot of you on this subforum seem to do it.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/doomscrolling

Are you sure now? I would hazard more its the state of the UK media that are pretty much "doomscrolling", does the UK media ever say anything positive to say regardless during this pandemic? Its as far as I can tell negative (and again this is politicians at it).

I personally try to see a positive out of this but for the life of me I can't it seems more negative than positive. If only the politicians and media had a brighter side look on life (cues up Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of life)

adc82140

Established Member
"we must act to save lives"

Translation: we haven't got a clue why we're doing this or what the exit strategy is. But it makes for a good soundbite that a journalist will be reluctant to challenge.

SteveM70

Established Member
Things I haven’t heard but might have expected to by now: Malthusian Check

duncanp

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned baked in yet, when referring to deaths that are expected in the future given the current number of infections?

My COVID-19 bingo card is very nearly full by now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has anyone mentioned baked in yet, when referring to deaths that are expected in the future given the current number of infections?

My COVID-19 bingo card is very nearly full by now.

No worries, you can print a new one:

EVkfHLmXkAAQ54I.jpg

duncanp

Established Member
Here's another one.

Perhaps we should play COVID-19 bingo next Wednesday at Prime Minister's questions.

Attachments

• Virtual Corona virus Bingo.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 11

DB

Those are a bit out of date now - the coronavirus lexicon has evolved since then!

Status
Not open for further replies.