• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gadget88

I’ve had some issues online talking about Coronavirus forum bans and so on. Think people are taking it to far we are all entitled to an opinion on things.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’ve had some issues online talking about Coronavirus forum bans and so on. Think people are taking it to far we are all entitled to an opinion on things.

Depends on the rules of the specific forum. This one seems to allow it as long as it's in an appropriate thread in the general discussion area.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Talking of asthma, this is the one thing that personally concerns me re. Covid-19. I'm normally prone to 'asthma-enhanced' chest infections after colds and the 'flu, so this illness could be..interesting. Tbh I just want to catch the damned thing as soon as possible and get it over with so I can get on with my life.

That's roughly my take on it, I'd rather get it now so I can stay indoors for 2-3 weeks while the weather is lousy. I do have asthma but it's mild and mostly exercise induced. I am pretty confident that there's enough resilience in me to cope with it (being a slow and heavy runner and no stranger to ultra/endurance type events I know how far I can push things, which is further than most people, and do recall the experience before I was diagnosed and how far I could push then). I would be more concerned about anyone who has been hospitalised for asthma at any point.

IOW it's likely to put me in bed for a couple of weeks, but so would the flu.

Meerkat

Established Member
I'd rather get it now so I can stay indoors for 2-3 weeks while the weather is lousy.
I am a bit concerned that they don’t seem sure whether there is just one strain about and/or a lack of immunity in those who have had it once.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am a bit concerned that they don’t seem sure whether there is just one strain about and/or a lack of immunity in those who have had it once.

I think only one person is alleged to have had it twice, and they're not sure if the first time was actually flu (there's bad luck for you!)

matt_world2004

Established Member
Given that two TfL related building s have been affected could we start seeing delays in planning and contract awards for buses and construction projects

Domh245

Established Member
I assume it's the NHS helpline, 111, that you're supposed to ring if you're feeling the symptoms. That said, being sent to hospital is the very last resort once they've confirmed that you do actually have it. I would hope they don't put you in insulation though, or at least not the glass wool type ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I assume it's the NHS helpline, 111, that you're supposed to ring if you're feeling the symptoms. That said, being sent to hospital is the very last resort once they've confirmed that you do actually have it. I would hope they don't put you in insulation though, or at least not the glass wool type ;)

They are now considering that home treatment is best, if the patient is not requiring life support, because that will minimise spread in the hospital itself. So in most likelihood it would be 2-3 weeks of staying at home.

This is one case where living alone is good, as there'd be no need to stay in one room to isolate from the rest of the family - anywhere inside the house would be fine.

Struner

[…]
This is one case where living alone is good, as there'd be no need to stay in one room to isolate from the rest of the family - anywhere inside the house would be fine.
(Are there other occasions when living alone is good?)
Will your local shop deliver to your backdoor?
Have you started hoarding yet?
I will start tomorrow. :E
Some local shops offer a discount on Famous Grouse or Jameson this week. So I’ll buy two of each instead of just one. :lol:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Isolation and insulation both derive from the Latin Insula - island. Isolation went via French so got a bit corrupted on the way. So putting you in insulation is OK, really. Just sounds a bit odd!
I was staring at that post, looking for the spelling correction @Struner spotted, and failing.

Maybe I was thinking a bit electrically, where you could use an insulator to isolate a circuit?

hooverboy

On Moderation
if you want hysteria, look at some of the facebook groups for covid 19
if you want to look at hysteria just wait until they cancel the football.

several countries now prohibited mass gatherings,so football, the grand national and glastonbury look a bit tenuous.

hooverboy

On Moderation
They are now considering that home treatment is best, if the patient is not requiring life support, because that will minimise spread in the hospital itself. So in most likelihood it would be 2-3 weeks of staying at home.

hmmm.
this has added detrimental impact though.
if you put companies on lockdown,there are so many people living a hand to mouth existence these days, that even those on even SSP for a short period are likely to default on rent or mortgage payments.
the situation is even worse for those on zero hours/gig economy.

that will snowball into the buy to let sector as most of them are leveraged like crazy,and won't have the income stream to sevice their debts.

doesn't matter that much that the US has cut their interest rates by 1/2%, and oil has just been pummelled....it's primarily a demand concern at the moment, but will turn into a supply crunch in the not too distant future.

hooverboy

On Moderation

if you do have elderly nearest and dearest to care for, then now is a good time to stock up on some essentials, and some items that look like frivolity,but will come in handy.

aside from pasta,beans, bog roll and such, while stocks last invest in a webcam.
at least that way they will have access to "virtual" doctors and be able to talk with them "directly" ,given a couple of tutorials.

easy for most of us with laptops/skype and so on, but for those less technically savvy it could well be a lifesaver being able to communicate this way, while normal doctors phone lines are blocked solid .

Darandio

Established Member
And how do you expect a 99 year old relative to learn how to use one of these...? ;)

Or have a device to use it with or have internet access. Never mind internet access, many of these people won't even have landline or cable services connected in the first place.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
if you want to look at hysteria just wait until they cancel the football.

several countries now prohibited mass gatherings,so football, the grand national and glastonbury look a bit tenuous.

Cancellation of sports events is already happening elsewhere and it's only a matter of time before it happens here too. All Italian sport has been cancelled until at least 3rd April and the Indian Wells (Southern California) tennis tournament, the world's biggest outside of the Grand Slams, due to start today was postponed at barely 24 hours notice. Despite everything being said to the contrary I think the Olympic Games could well be a casualty also. Oh and you can forget music festivals altogether. While I agree that some of the reaction to Covid-19 looks over the top the reality is that much of what we consider normal life, certainly as far as recreation goes, will have to be put on hold. The researchers are hard at it but we're at least 12 months away from a viable vaccination programme. Until then...

Status
Not open for further replies.