• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Correct me if I’m wrong but a legal lockdown requires passing in parliament and that’s not happening until Thursday at the earliest ?

Tonight is a last warning ?
depends on the situation.

our laws work similarlly to US constitution.
under normal events then parliamentary approval would be sought/required.
If parliament approves a a state of emergency already then it gives the government the power of executive order, so there is only a need for periodic review...which is what has been done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Esker-pades

Established Member
Genuine question...

I'm in my uni accomodation still. Would I be fined if I was to travel home this weekend with all my stuff? I would hope not!

EDIT: I'm sure it's not a straightforward answer and would merely like people's opinions please!
My instinct says you shouldn't try. I was due to go home in early April, but I've canned that.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I’ve just cancelled all my work indefinitely.
I stopped working last week because it was obviously coming, but at least this will stop customers from asking me to come and paint their houses. I really needed that clarity.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Lockdown. Better late than never. I just hope it isn't too late.

Lets worry about making sure everyone is OK rather than waste time arguing though. That is more important. I suspect we have people here who are single, at risk, isolated and/or don't have many people to look out for them.

Lets check in often and make sure people are ok.
not going to be a bundle of laughs for anybody.

it's time to knuckle down.Hope for the best,prepare for the worst.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Genuine question...

I'm in my uni accomodation still. Would I be fined if I was to travel home this weekend with all my stuff? I would hope not!

EDIT: I'm sure it's not a straightforward answer and would merely like people's opinions please!
genuine answer.

Leave for home immediately.
you've got this evening as a grace period before the hammer really does come down.

if you don't go, then stay put.end of.

trainophile

Established Member
How often has the alarm gone off and we've thought we would give anything to stay in bed? Or been going out to some social function and thought "I wish I didn't have to go"? This isn't hard labour you know, try to see the positive side.

83A

I have an interesting situation. My daughter lives with her mum and with me. Approx 60/40. Reading the rules directly I can’t see her. However her mum is a key worker so I might have to pick my daughter up and look after her. :?:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Genuine question...

Thinking about it.

People currently abroad are encouraged to return immediately. Clearly when they land (or dock) they will need to travel from the airport to home, so that will be a reasonable reason to be travelling.

The fine is not compulsory. If you get stopped, and have a genuine reason, you will likely be allowed on your way. Don't try it twice though, having a sneaky weekend back at Uni!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My instinct says you shouldn't try. I was due to go home in early April, but I've canned that.

Personally I'd prefer to be in my own space for something like this and am very glad I live on my own - if anyone else was here I would be tripping over them. Obviously whether that applies to you or not is up to you.

3rd rail land

you may have to.

for the majority of people on this forum they work in transport,so as long as you can prove you are who you say you are, do what you say you do,and going to where you say you are going, it will be ok.

you need to check right now as to whether you are part of the core services.
I said on another post that ID's will be rolled out shortly for those doing those jobs.

for non-core activities, the authorities may roll out some form of online/written permit to conduct your comings and goings.
I am definitely not part of the core services. I am an IT engineer.

Mathew S

Established Member
Do you think you are the only people worried?!?!?!?!?!
Obviously not.
I stand by supine at least in this situation. I have a great deal of respect for reporters but they need to up their game. Not one talks back at Johnson and challenges his wibbly responses. They seem to lap it up and regurgitate it. We need more in this situation. Stop giving him a free pass. Challenge him, directly, live on TV. There was a woman today who I thought was going to but she bottled it imo.

The ventilator question was an example. Not one challenged with the question: When. When will see more ventilators. Why aren't they doing that? I suspect it is because they fear access to important people will be revoked. That shouldn't matter right now.

The question for the deputy medical officer about graphs and death charts was textbook wibble. My answer would have been that is nice but could you answer please my question.

PS I am sure i wouldn't be invited back but it would make a point!
That's not how press conferences, especially at that level of government, work. I'd love it if it were, because it would make great telly, but it just isn't.
There's a time and a place for the kind of questionning you're talking about, but a high profile number 10 press conference aimed at communicating life-saving information to the public simply is not it.

Mathew S

Established Member
Genuine question...

I would suggest that the sooner you do it, the less likely you are to have issues. If you're not already on your way, the sooner the better.
Were it I in that situation, I certainly would not be waiting until the weekend.

Peter Kelford

The ibuprofen scare seems to have originated with French doctors pointing out that ibuprofen does nothing to reduce fever, unlike paracetamol, the other common painkiller in general use.
It has an immunosuppressant property which risks aggravating coronavirus.
I am definitely not part of the core services. I am an IT engineer.
Of course not. The worst that can happen is that an essential website crashes, say a supermarket, or the NHS. We can deal with everyone rushing out onto the streets out of desperation and emergence, or 999 call centres being overloaded. That's not serious.
I have an interesting situation. My daughter lives with her mum and with me. Approx 60/40. Reading the rules directly I can’t see her. However her mum is a key worker so I might have to pick my daughter up and look after her. :?:
In France, you may do so within reason. I imagine that Alexander 'Copycat' Boris would not have a problem with that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Obviously not.

That's not how press conferences, especially at that level of government, work. I'd love it if it were, because it would make great telly, but it just isn't.
There's a time and a place for the kind of questionning you're talking about, but a high profile number 10 press conference aimed at communicating life-saving information to the public simply is not it.

Ok. When is it time to challenge, point out obvious bluster, lies and bull and hold these people to account? When is your profession going to start doing that? From my point of view they haven't done that at all. If it is happening where is it happening and who is doing it?

No one is doing it apart from that odious twonk Peirs Morgan who went through the health secretary the other day. That was all about his ego but needs doing more often by more sensible people. We dont have access to these politicians. You do. You have to ask for us.

Also Johnson is not communicating well being jocular and sending out mixed messages ( mothers day for example) and your profession should be making him clarify his wibble there and then. Instead they lap it up and dont challenge and then report what some press aide said as "clarification"

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also Johnson is not communicating well being jocular and sending out mixed messages ( mothers day for example) and your profession should be making him clarify his wibble there and then. Instead they lap it up and dont challenge and then report what some press aide said as "clarification"

Did you watch last night's speech? There was nothing jocular about it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
His mannerisms are what they are, like mine or yours, it's not easy to change them.

I think last night will have an effect. There was a definite element of "now you've got Daddy cross" about it.

Keep your hands still, get a hair cut ( a sensible sober one) speak without the bunterish flair and frankly, look less like telling us cruial news is boring to you, answer some questions diretly and frankly and get some better make up for TV!

You highlight the biggest issue for me in all of this in your last paragraph. That is the problem. It needs more than that and needed it 7 to 10 days ago

Ps he mages to make Sturgeon look good ffs!

notlob.divad

Established Member
Genuine question...

If it is feasible and there are others who can contact if you really need help ie food shopping during an isolation period. Then I would say you should shelter in place. Your University is likely in a larger city where the medical facilities have a better chance of coping. Can you say the same for where you would be travelling to. Combined with the risk of picking up the virus during your travel, or potentially already having it and taking it home to loved ones. Honestly shelter in place unless there really is no alternative.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Keep your hands still, get a hair cut ( a sensible sober one) speak without the bunterish flair and frankly, look less like telling us cruial news is boring to you, answer some questions diretly and frankly and get some better make up for TV!

You highlight the biggest issue for me in all of this in your last paragraph. That is the problem. It needs more than that and needed it 7 to 10 days ago

Ps he mages to make Sturgeon look good ffs!

I had a thought last night whilst watching it....

Imagine if it had been Corbyn sat there.

Leo1961

I would imagine he considers he is exempt as his occupation is "of vital importance" and therefore essential...

thejuggler

Second time around Gove clarified the position. Children u18 with parents living apart can live with either and move between the homes as usual.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Absolutely - I wondered why he had been quiet! I assume he considers himself in a key worker role ;)
:lol: I tell you what though. He’s going to be hanging on to that post for a little while longer...

trainophile

Established Member
Anyone stay awake half the night listening to the phone-in on the combined Radio 5Live and local stations? Some bloke on there rang in to complain that the PM was "telling people what to do". He ranted on about this at some length. Really I do despair sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.