• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Correct charges for customers found to be on the wrong train on an Advance fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It has been brought to my attention that some train companies are not adhering to the correct policy regarding Advance fares being used on the wrong train.

Notwithstanding the fact that these fares are valid if the customer has experienced a delay during their journey, if the customer is simply on the wrong train for no valid reason, the company is allowed to charge for a new ticket...

Providing the customer is travelling with the correct train company, then the charge should be to the appropriate fare (ie. the lowest fare that would have been available at the ticket office, including a Railcard discount if the original ticket was discounted).

However if the customer travels on an earlier train, from a station without an open ticket office, the charge should either be as above, or an excess fare, priced at the difference between the price paid and the appropriate fare plus £10 admin fee, whichever is the cheaper.

It is incorrect to charge the full fare (such as the Anytime fare, when a [Super] Off Peak is valid) and/or to refuse a Railcard discount in the above circumstances. However some train companies have been caught doing this recently. Any passengers who have been affected should seek a refund, and refer the matter to the Rail Ombudsman if the train company refuses to refund the monies due.

This policy is documented in the rail industry's internal KnowledgeBase (iKB); a copy of this is in our Fares Guide (as a PDF attachment on the relevant page for Advance fares). It's also documented in the revenue protection policy of companies who have a comprehensive and correct policy (e.g. Virgin Trains document this).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Surely the customer should be allowed to purchase a ticket to the next calling point on board, and purchase their own digital ticket online from that station for the rest of their journey too?

It seems anti-competitiive to limit the customer's choice of ticketing agent - especially with so many cashback options.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely the customer should be allowed to purchase a ticket to the next calling point on board, and purchase their own digital ticket online from that station for the rest of their journey too?

It seems anti-competitiive to limit the customer's choice of ticketing agent - especially with so many cashback options.
That will often cost more than the single ticket.

gray1404

Established Member
I'd be happy to do some mystery shopping if required if fully supported. I say this as it could result in expensive additional tickets, being reported or issued a penalty fare.

Sleepy

Established Member
I would be interested to know which TOC's have been caught doing this - is it TOC policy or individual staff error ?

trek

Happened to me a few years ago on Chiltern, I got charged a full anytime fare (I don't think there was an off peak fare on that route then, although there is now - but I was refused a railcard discount...). Assume being in a penalty fare area makes no difference.

Might have done something more but didn't realise and was happy to just not get a penalty fare at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.