• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Corsica

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

This Friday my wife and I are flying out to Corsica for a two week holiday. In addition to using the island's railway network to travel about there is a very good chance of me persuading my wife that we should spend a day exploring the network.

Any information on rolling stock, stations, depots, freight (if any still runs) and any museums with railway interest would be much appreciated! Ticketing information would also be gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
G'day everyone,

This Friday my wife and I are flying out to Corsica for a two week holiday. In addition to using the island's railway network to travel about there is a very good chance of me persuading my wife that we should spend a day exploring the network.

Any information on rolling stock, stations, depots, freight (if any still runs) and any museums with railway interest would be much appreciated! Ticketing information would also be gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

The best site for timetables and fares is : http://www.corsicabus.org/Train_services.html

The central section through the mountains is very spectacular - I recommend a stroll (even if only a short way ) from Corte up the vallée du Tavignanu and/or taking in a short bit of the GR20 around Vizzavona. Doubt there's any freight nowadays apart from engineers trains. I suspect that if you're looking for truly ancient stock then the 'tramway' services running along the coastal sections would be the best bet.

Veteran Member
Sadly, I don't think the old Renaults are in use these days, but I'd love to hear otherwise. The main line has some very modern stock.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Sadly, I don't think the old Renaults are in use these days, but I'd love to hear otherwise. The main line has some very modern stock.
Last time I was there, a few years ago, all the old cars were piled up at the Bastia terminus, a sort of Corsican Barry Island scene. It would not surprise me if they were still there. Watch out for bustitution, we suffered that on one trip and a couple from NZ were most upset, as they had been looking forward to the train. The restored link to L'Ile Rousse, from Ponte Leccia, (the Corsican Crewe, if you like), is a tiring trip as the train screeches its wheels around the sharp curves very tediously for hour on end. That was with the silver older units although we had a better ride on the new units on the Corte / Ajaccio line.

I am very envious and we are sure to return one day. An unforgettable island There are parts that are quite simply Paradise on Earth.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Many thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. The island is beautiful and we like it very much and the weather is fantastic too. Lots of opportunities for countryside walks having spent the last few days doing nothing more than sleeping in the sun!

Elwyn

The old railcars are still stored at Bastia. The local services from Calvi to Ile Rousse are still operated by the old railcars, otherwise all the services are undertaken by the new units. No freight, save for engineers trains. Many trains packed (in early September anyway). 8 day all island railrover ticket for 50 euros offers pretty good value.

Elwyn

You'll find Corsica pretty expensive for everything. It's an island and a popular holiday destination for French, Germans, Italians and Scandinavians. They can charge what they like, in the summer months anyway. There are 3 international airports (Bastia, Calvi and Ajaccio). There are direct flights to and from the UK. I flew back from Calvi recently and there were flights that day to Manchester and to Stansted. No doubt there are others.

farci

...You'll find Corsica pretty expensive for everything. It's an island and a popular holiday destination for French, Germans, Italians and Scandinavians. They can charge what they like, in the summer months anyway. ...

More cost of living info on Corsica here. Most Med islands gouge compared with mainland Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.