• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

COSS Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARHA2199

Good Evening

First-time poster; Currently working for NWR

I just wanted to get some words of wisdom about the COSS course? I massively struggle with Anxiety (from my Army days) so don't want to keep sending myself down a black hole worrying about what I'm going to fail on! Any help or pointers would be great
:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WoollyMammoth

Don’t have anything specific to add as I’m in a different area but I just wanted to wish you all the best with the course.

All I can say is things you would already know, providing you put the hours and effort in I know you’ll smash it!

I hope you get the answers you need mate. Best of luck.

ARHA2199

Don’t have anything specific to add as I’m in a different area but I just wanted to wish you all the best with the course.

All I can say is things you would already know, providing you put the hours and effort in I know you’ll smash it!

I hope you get the answers you need mate. Best of luck.
Thank you ever so much for that!

alxndr

Established Member
Make sure that you go into it with the right attitude. I've heard of instructors recently—and quite rightly—failing people for not giving the impression that they understand the gravity of the role and all it entails. It sounds as though you do care though, so that shouldn't be an issue, it's more to catch people out whose only motivation is the prospect of extra overtime and couldn't care less about keeping people safe.

I'd also make sure that you have a copy of the rulebooks to hand, they are available on the RSSB website (I believe these days you need a free account to access them). They should cover everything you need to know on the course, but if there's anything you're struggling with or think might be confusing have a look through the rulebooks, and if it's still not clear ask them to clarify the next day. It's definitely worth having an extra read of things that you haven't seen done very often/at all (e.g. for me this would be token, TCOD and signalling disconnections as they're never done in my area).

For the test at the end, make sure that you read the question properly and answer all the questions. Watch out for the similar ones that are easy to confuse, especially working in a possession inside a worksite and in a possession outside a worksite as that's a common thing to get tripped up on. My technique is to answer them all, marking off which I'm not 100% sure of, and then go back through them all, paying particular attention to the ones I was uncertain of. On the first pass through I pick the right answers, when I'm checking I mentally cross off the wrong answers ("That's nonsense, that's nonsense, that's nonsense, to THAT must be right").

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if there's anything you can't wrap your head around, I'll always do my best to help.

ARHA2199

Make sure that you go into it with the right attitude. I've heard of instructors recently—and quite rightly—failing people for not giving the impression that they understand the gravity of the role and all it entails. It sounds as though you do care though, so that shouldn't be an issue, it's more to catch people out whose only motivation is the prospect of extra overtime and couldn't care less about keeping people safe.

I'd also make sure that you have a copy of the rulebooks to hand, they are available on the RSSB website (I believe these days you need a free account to access them). They should cover everything you need to know on the course, but if there's anything you're struggling with or think might be confusing have a look through the rulebooks, and if it's still not clear ask them to clarify the next day. It's definitely worth having an extra read of things that you haven't seen done very often/at all (e.g. for me this would be token, TCOD and signalling disconnections as they're never done in my area).

For the test at the end, make sure that you read the question properly and answer all the questions. Watch out for the similar ones that are easy to confuse, especially working in a possession inside a worksite and in a possession outside a worksite as that's a common thing to get tripped up on. My technique is to answer them all, marking off which I'm not 100% sure of, and then go back through them all, paying particular attention to the ones I was uncertain of. On the first pass through I pick the right answers, when I'm checking I mentally cross off the wrong answers ("That's nonsense, that's nonsense, that's nonsense, to THAT must be right").

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if there's anything you can't wrap your head around, I'll always do my best to help.
Thank you for your reply! I have downloaded what you have said and printed so will make notes on them today (always find it easier to write the information than read)

Thank you ever so much mate

Joey94

Its probably changed a lot since I done the initial coss course but there is a lot of information to retain but as long as you take time to fully understand the information you're given then it won't be a problem passing your test. Once you're passed out and you're working out on site if there is anything you don't fully understand just ask. you really don't want to put yourself in a position were you're going to responsible for a mistake. If you have any questions just send me a message and I'll try to help as much as I can

ARHA2199

Thank
Its probably changed a lot since I done the initial coss course but there is a lot of information to retain but as long as you take time to fully understand the information you're given then it won't be a problem passing your test. Once you're passed out and you're working out on site if there is anything you don't fully understand just ask. you really don't want to put yourself in a position were you're going to responsible for a mistake. If you have any questions just send me a message and I'll try to help as much as I can
thank you very much Joey. I’m trying not to over do it so much revising before hand but just reading rule books when I have an hour spare just so I can try get an advantage!
All the best mate

Status
Not open for further replies.