• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cotswold HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

Just to let you all know, the 2 Cotswold Rail HSTs, 1 in Hornby red, & 1 in Cotswold grey, arrived at Laira depot yesterday. No coaching stock as far as I can see, unless they've been put elsewhere in the depot, just the 2 power cars back to back I've seen, shunted into the sidings next to Lipson Junction by the depot shunter.

Mart

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well there were there on the afternoon with an MML MK3 trailer in between them on the 12th of August, and in the late evening too. So if they've just arrived, either that's duff gen or they've been on the move lately.

070 still looks beast in its silver colours. 087 still looks funky too.

Turbostar

Well, they're def back to back, no sign of buffet car unless, like I said, it's elsewhere in the depot. Is it also a possibility they could have been brought by First, & been brought down here to await transit up to Derby for refurbishment etc.?

Mart

Turbostar

Thought so lol.

Mart
[EDIT]
It's 43070 & 43087. Dunno about the buffet car as, if it is in the depot, I can't see it. Cotswold Rail have done away with the HST, & sticking with their 47's, MkIIIs & DVT for their charter trains.

Mart

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That makes it easy for me to justify avoiding Heartland tours then. 47s = No way. HSTs = Yes way. Still, 10 years time it'll be doable again.

I believe the carriages off the set are indeed in LA, I recall noticing MML carriages partly hidden by a rake of FGW carriages at the east end of the depot on 12th August.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mart 158741 said:
Thought so lol.

Mart
[EDIT]
It's 43070 & 43087. Dunno about the buffet car as, if it is in the depot, I can't see it. Cotswold Rail have done away with the HST, & sticking with their 47's, MkIIIs & DVT for their charter trains.

Mart

I had read somewhere that Cotswold would hire a HST as and when they needed one

devon_metro

Established Member
Last time i passed heading to Plymouth in the humble car there were 3 rakes of full MML Mk3s sat at LA.

The buffet worked down on 11.08 working 5Zxx Gloucester-LairaTRSMD
Buffet was 40810.

I believe they then worked back up to Neville Hill(?) and back down to LairaTRSMD

Turbostar

The last set of coaches, which was a mix of Virgin & a few MML, left sometime during the end of last week, or the weekend. The stuff that are due to be refurbished are dumped in the sidings next to Lipson Junction. The other main sidings, the one's next to Embankment Road, the main road out of Plymouth going towards Marsh Mills, is used for the HSTs & Voyagers etc. when they come in for the night, & have been cleaned, & fueled etc., ready for their next working. I'll have a look shortly & see if I can see anything.

Mart

Ok, from what I can see, as I'm limited because of trees, there's 2 MML power cars back to back, then behind those theres a ex-Virgin power car, then another MML power car behind that. The ex-Virgin stock is still there, it was moved out of the way to put the 2 ex-Cotswold Power cars in, then the stock put in front of those. There's also a FGW Sleeper seating coach in front of the ex-Virgin stock, first class with either a guards area at one end or a mini buffet area, but it looks in ex-works condition, so it's prob waiting to go down to Penzance. Finally, theres what looks like a couple of barrier coaches. Apart from that, the rest of the sidings are empty.

Mart

devon_metro

Established Member
I'll be passing tomorrow and Saturday, so will be able to look, with a photo on sat.
[EDIT]
Well today at Laira there is a full MML set, wuith 43056 and 043 IIRC

Turbostar

That'll be the stock ready for the weekend Virgin working. I beleive it works the 06:51 from Plymouth to Newquay, then the 09:40 from Newquay to Newcastle.

Mart

devon_metro

Established Member
Indeed it is. Horby and Cotswold are together near Lipson Jn aling with a few other MML p/cs and Virgin one! Along with VWC Mk3s

Status
Not open for further replies.