• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cotswold Line SDO for HST/IET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melancholia

As some of us know, most stations between Oxford and Worcester are too short to fit either HSTs and now the IET, requiring the use of SDO. What I find confusing is that there's different procedures at all the different stations there. I was wondering if anyone has a list which will show how many coaches/doors open at the stations on the line, which will include as well if the HSTs (and perhaps IETs) are in reverse formation (With 1st class at the Front going towards Worcester)?

The ones I'm aware for HSTs only are:

Hanborough - Front 2 coaches only (Rear 2 if in reverse)
Finstock - One coach/One door + TGS door

If anyone has a list of them, that would be helpful :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
It is the same at stations in between Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-super-Mare when HSTs call at these stations

Take Worle Station for instance, a HST can platform 4 coaches. So if the train is in the right formation e.g. First Class at the London end of the train, on the down coaches A-D are platformed. If the train is in reverse formation, coaches A-D are still platformed just at the back of the train. The same principles apply on the up with coaches A-D are always platformed no matter what the formation of the train. Weston Milton, Yatton and Nailsea & Backwell have the same arrangements but with 5 coaches usually platformed.

Incidently the best place to get off is in coach C by the disabled toilet. These doors open right by the entrance and footbridge.

I am not sure with the 800s as I am yet to travel on one, but the information poster on the platform advertising one departure with these trains indicates to board the first unit.

BestWestern

Established Member
800 is centre coaches at the very short platforms (Hanborough & Honeybourne). A change to the long-standing existing procedures for HST or 180. A five car will pretty much fit everywhere else, with the exception of one extreme end door in a few cases.

tsr

Established Member
I am not sure with the 800s as I am yet to travel on one, but the information poster on the platform advertising one departure with these trains indicates to board the first unit.

SDO with multiple units can be a nightmare if they don't have gangway connections between units. It's especially frustrating if the platform is only one or two coaches shorter than a length which would allow at least a couple of doors to open on the unit which isn't fully accommodated on the platform! I can foresee confusion so I hope those station posters - and announcements - are very clear.

Melancholia

SDO with multiple units can be a nightmare if they don't have gangway connections between units. It's especially frustrating if the platform is only one or two coaches shorter than a length which would allow at least a couple of doors to open on the unit which isn't fully accommodated on the platform! I can foresee confusion so I hope those station posters - and announcements - are very clear.

I've heard from somewhere that the IETs will not be running double units on the Cotswolds. Some services which are busy will arrive as 2 x 5, and split at Oxford, with the Front 5 going forward, and the rear 5 into the sidings to form a different service.

That is maybe until the 9 car IETs start running...

pompeyfan

Established Member
Is the SDO manual on the 800s? I’m sure it’s been discussed elsewhere the thread is about a million pages.

If it’s not ASDO using either track beacons or similar that is surely an oversight? Considering most new build stock that I know of can now tell how many doors to release depending on if the driver has stopped in the correct position.

Domh245

Established Member
From memory, I think it is location based, where the train has a database of platform lengths and uses those based on the GPS, but the driver has to confirm it on the TMS before releasing the doors.

jimm

Established Member
Current HST operations are dictated not just by where in the train the TGS is - normal procedure being that this must be on the platform, whether the train is the 'right' way round, or in reverse formation - but also by the location of starting signals at platform ends at Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham.

I wouldn't worry about a list now because platforms at all the main stations on the Cotswold Line are going to be extended during the course of this year. I assume the work will be done in a similar fashion to the extensions at Stonehouse constructed over Christmas (to allow for six 26m coaches to be opened). Only Combe, Finstock, Ascott-under-Wychwood and Shipton will stay as they are.

In most cases, the extended platforms will accommodate seven 26m coaches, the only exception being the up (Oxford-bound) platform at Kingham which will be for six 26m coaches.

I believe both 2x5 and nine-car sets are likely to be seen in the peaks - Clarence Yard may know more. Either way, the extensions mean that the majority of coaches on either formation will be alongside platforms.

The platform extension project is on page 108 of the Network Rail enhancements delivery plan update from December

https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Enhancements-Delivery-Plan.pdf

Some other planned platform extensions in Devon and Cornwall are on page 109.

Status
Not open for further replies.