• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cotswolds One Day Discoverer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Sorry if this is a bit vague, it's not hugely clear from the map how many routes are covered by it, but can anyone advise of any routes in the Cotswolds One Day Discoverer area that are reliably worked by double deckers?

I'm very very unfamiliar with the area, having been through on the train once and that's it - there may well be none :p

Thank you! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sorry if this is a bit vague, it's not hugely clear from the map how many routes are covered by it, but can anyone advise of any routes in the Cotswolds One Day Discoverer area that are reliably worked by double deckers?

I'm very very unfamiliar with the area, having been through on the train once and that's it - there may well be none :p

Thank you! :D

None, I'm afraid. I had to check the validity and.....

Cotswold Green: 28/29/54/54A/881 - think it's a Centro and some Solos
Johnsons Excelbus: 21/22/23/23A - Tempo
Pulham’s Coaches: 801/852/854/855 - Solos on 852/4/5 and some heavyweight single decks (can't recall which) on 801 with the odd coach
Cotswold Line Railbus: C1/X8/X9 - was Solos in RH Transport days - don't know now
Swanbrook: 853 - think it's a Solo but don't quote me

The main places where you'll find deckers are on the routes that Stagecoach operate locally but you'll need their ticket. The 50 Stratford to Chipping Norton is Tridents or Olympians (but not the 50A to Banbury - that's Solos). The S3 Chipping Norton to Oxford are Gold e400s. The services from Stroud to Gloucester and Cheltenham are usually Tridents. Cirencester to Cheltenham is now e400s IIRC.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The 853 is not worked by Solos - I've never seen anything other than coaches (of various kinds) on it.

I also agree that that none of the routes covered by the pass (which is great value!) are operated by double deckers.

(There have been quite a few changes to the routes, and not just the operators, especially in the Chippy/Kingham/the Wychwoods/Burford/Witney area recently. Essentially Go Ride took on far more than they could chew - offering extraordinarily generous services, on commercial basis, in this rural and mostly quite wealthy area - but then withdrew, leaving some gaps that didn't used to be there....) So do check thoroughly (eg on traveline) before you use your pass - it is a very useful, good value ticket, still.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The 853 is not worked by Solos - I've never seen anything other than coaches (of various kinds) on it.

I also agree that that none of the routes covered by the pass (which is great value!) are operated by double deckers.

(There have been quite a few changes to the routes, and not just the operators, especially in the Chippy/Kingham/the Wychwoods/Burford/Witney area recently. Essentially Go Ride took on far more than they could chew - offering extraordinarily generous services, on commercial basis, in this rural and mostly quite wealthy area - but then withdrew, leaving some gaps that didn't used to be there....) So do check thoroughly (eg on traveline) before you use your pass - it is a very useful, good value ticket, still.

Remember they used to use a Merc Vario mini-coach on the 853 on occasion but also seen coaches on there as you say.

jimm

Established Member
Should point out for anyone who may be thinking of using this ticket that the map linked to is very out of date - you can use the Discoverer on trains down to Yate these days - and Stagecoach West is now accepting it on buses around Cheltenham and Gloucester, which will include some double-decker worked services such as the 94 Gloucester-Cheltenham, which is a Stagecoach Gold service, and the 71 Gloucester-Tewkesbury.

Link below to the 2015 Discoverer leaflet issued by the Cotswolds Conservation Board but this has errors, as the Johnsons route 23 no longer links Shipston-on-Stour to Moreton-in-Marsh station and there is no bus route between Shipton-under-Wychwood and Kingham station. Also, from June 1, Pulhams X10 Burford-Wychwoods route will be renumbered as the 33, with a slightly revised timetable.

http://www.escapetothecotswolds.org...ransport/final-discoverer-leaflet-for-web.pdf

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Should point out for anyone who may be thinking of using this ticket that the map linked to is very out of date - you can use the Discoverer on trains down to Yate these days - and Stagecoach West is now accepting it on buses around Cheltenham and Gloucester, which will include some double-decker worked services such as the 94 Gloucester-Cheltenham, which is a Stagecoach Gold service, and the 71 Gloucester-Tewkesbury.

Link below to the 2015 Discoverer leaflet issued by the Cotswolds Conservation Board but this has errors, as the Johnsons route 23 no longer links Shipston-on-Stour to Moreton-in-Marsh station and there is no bus route between Shipton-under-Wychwood and Kingham station. Also, from June 1, Pulhams X10 Burford-Wychwoods route will be renumbered as the 33, with a slightly revised timetable.

http://www.escapetothecotswolds.org...ransport/final-discoverer-leaflet-for-web.pdf

That's much better! Might try that one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.