• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cough.......Cough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's just a publicity stunt and it seems to have worked, appearing in the papers and all - you can't make up a rule such as no coughing and enforce it!

Nick W

Established Member
I would go in it anyway.

If I cough it's mucus caused by dust mite allergy.... so it's up to them to do their bit and make the seats dust mite proof or hoover more...

The Gricer

How would they enforce it anyway? Putting up 'no coughing' signs would be less effective than those 'no mobile phones' stickers in so called 'quiet coaches'. After all, a cough is usually an involuntary action. Unlike those phone users who know exactly what they're doing but seem to think that the rule doesn't apply to them.

Frank

Z12XE

Its just so that c2c can collect the advertising revenue from having a carriage painted orange with the company name on.

Makes me wonder how long before we start hearing:

"The next train to depart from the platform is the 13 hundred hours service, in association with some tacky loan company, where you can borrow 800-15,000 pounds, at a typical rate of just 9.9% to London Liverpool Street. Unsecuredpersonalloansubjecttostaus, conditionsapply, seeoutwebsiteformoreinformation, ratestatedisnotalwaystherateyou'llrecieve homeownersonly loansecuredagainstproperty, This train is expected to arrive in 4 minutes."

jonb

Established Member
Lets just hope c2c have the sense not to put this on the Ockendon or Dagenham loops at Night...

RJ

Established Member
Hmm, I think it's just a publicity stunt! I don't really oppose the idea of it.

You get thoughtless people who either insist on travelling and spreading germs when, for the benefit of all, they should have stayed at home.

I agree with that.

Southern

joea1 said:
Hmm, I think it's just a publicity stunt! I don't really oppose the idea of it.

You get thoughtless people who either insist on travelling and spreading germs when, for the benefit of all, they should have stayed at home.

I agree with that.

Some people may not have the luxury of staying off work because of a cough.

what about kid free or kids only carriages? imagine if we had a meet and half of the ppl who turn up for the meet are banished to the kids only carriage :lol:

RJ

Established Member
I thought this would be a joke! I've just seen it pass through Limehouse westbound whilst on the DLR. I guess it would make quite a few people happy, I know I would rather be on it than hear annoying coughing throughout a journey.

Jonno2055

I have to say... What a waist of space, I presume during rush hour they stop it? Otherwise you have empty seats but you can't go in because you have a cough!

RJ

Established Member
My post was made right in the centre of rush hour - just after 17:00. Although I think the train may have been 12 coaches. I couldn't tell because we reached Limehouse before I could see all of it.

Jonno2055

It is stupid though, luckily its going in april 2006. Like I say, in rush hour you have loads of people standing, coughing and empty seats in the carriage. Not forgetting people with asthma often have constant dry coughs! Like one woman said:

Absurd! Ignorant! Just because somebody has a cough or sneeze doesn't necessarily mean they have a cold. Like many people, I have allergies, therefore I cough and sneeze. Are those who have asthma going to be kept apart as well?

- Elizabeth, San Francisco

Although she is an American :lol:

RJ

Established Member
I wish that people wouldn't see everything as discrimiation :roll:.

Jonno2055

What me? It's just a crazy publicity stunt which will in the end only suit a few people!

Chris

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the point of the coach is to advertise Benylin cough medicine. If you enlarge the image in the daily mail you'll see it under the big letters 'COUGH-FREE'. Its just merely advertising. I'm sure i saw something about it last week in one of the 'quality papers' too.

metrocammel

Well If c2c (or LTS) hadn't got rid of 312's there wouldnt have been the problem of air-bourne diseases, as they would all be blown out of the window and replaced with fresh-air, but in these air-conditioned capsules, they call trains, no real fresh air can circulate, the air becomes diseased, stagnent and hot (if the air con is off / broken) and you have a cold / flu infested train! So, c2c, either: fit opening windows to you Electros**s or bring back 312's!!! - as if!!

Anyway, I hope all the Essex people here enjoy your no-sneeze/ cough zones!! God imagine enforcing the rules though!! are c2c hiring a special branch of the BTP - "Cough Police!?!"

what will they think of next i wonder maybe a no gas coach perhaps or a no under 16s coach things can only get worse

Nick W

Established Member
Benylin cough medicine won't stop me coughing. Getting rid of all dust and pollem will though.

jonb

Established Member
metrocammel said:
Well If c2c (or LTS) hadn't got rid of 312's

c2c HAD to get rid of the 312's they were aging units which were in desperate need of replacement slthough I was just as sad to see them go I see nothing wrong with the 357's which act as both express units (To Shoebury) and stopping locals (To Southend via Chafford Hundred & to Grays via Dagenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.