• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could a pay-per-use road charging scheme powered by vehicle data reporting be viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Here is an alternate idea to per-use charging that doesn't involve "big brother" watching your every move. (forgive me if it has already been raised).

1: Not retrospective to existing vehicles which continue to be charged as at present. Thus, the scheme will take several years before it has a material impact and will take many more before it is (more or less) fully effective. But the best schemes typically do take time to fully implement; witness reduced emissions requirements.
2: All new cars sold from (implementation date) are required to be fitted with a meter that measures distance and waiting time, in principle such as taxis have. It needn't be a big black separate box of course; it could be neatly integrated into the electronics.
3: All cars are categorised according to the factors considered material in their "cost" to the country - environment, infrastructure maintenance and so on. This forms part of the "type approval" process, just as Euro n compliance does. This is translated into a cost per mile (and waiting time) figure which will vary by vehicle type. Banded, probably. The meter is updated with the cost/band periodically (either online or at MOT time, for example).

How it works: You make your journey. At the end of it, you are required to pay the cost of the trip using a contactless card in the car. You can leave the car without doing so, but your car will refuse to start or run again until you have paid for that last trip.

Costs could include a base level of insurance (so, not paid directly to an insurer; only additional fees for, say, inexperienced or otherwise risky drivers, are paid direct.) And fuel: older cars still have to be taxed on their fuel; these newer ones do not; hence we have tax-free ("pink") fuel which may only be used in equipped cars; non-equipped cars must use clear (duty paid) fuel. So, an extension of the existing split price scheme used by agriculture, marine etc. And vehicle exise duty of course - part of the per-trip charge.

Advantages: No "big brother", and an immediate true representation of the cost of the journey - which may make some think twice about what they do and how they do it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Here is an alternate idea to per-use charging that doesn't involve "big brother" watching your every move. (forgive me if it has already been raised).

1: Not retrospective to existing vehicles which continue to be charged as at present. Thus, the scheme will take several years before it has a material impact and will take many more before it is (more or less) fully effective. But the best schemes typically do take time to fully implement; witness reduced emissions requirements.
2: All new cars sold from (implementation date) are required to be fitted with a meter that measures distance and waiting time, in principle such as taxis have. It needn't be a big black separate box of course; it could be neatly integrated into the electronics.
3: All cars are categorised according to the factors considered material in their "cost" to the country - environment, infrastructure maintenance and so on. This forms part of the "type approval" process, just as Euro n compliance does. This is translated into a cost per mile (and waiting time) figure which will vary by vehicle type. Banded, probably. The meter is updated with the cost/band periodically (either online or at MOT time, for example).

How it works: You make your journey. At the end of it, you are required to pay the cost of the trip using a contactless card in the car. You can leave the car without doing so, but your car will refuse to start or run again until you have paid for that last trip.

Costs could include a base level of insurance (so, not paid directly to an insurer; only additional fees for, say, inexperienced or otherwise risky drivers, are paid direct.) And fuel: older cars still have to be taxed on their fuel; these newer ones do not; hence we have tax-free ("pink") fuel which may only be used in equipped cars; non-equipped cars must use clear (duty paid) fuel. So, an extension of the existing split price scheme used by agriculture, marine etc. And vehicle exise duty of course - part of the per-trip charge.

Advantages: No "big brother", and an immediate true representation of the cost of the journey - which may make some think twice about what they do and how they do it.
So how would that treat a journey adding to chronic congestion where there are plenty of public transport alternatives compared with a similar distance through empty rural roads where there is no public transport option at all?
It wouldn't give any "immediate true representation of the cost of the journey" - either in road maintenance terms, local public health terms or disruption to others terms. So no better than taxing a specific weight vehicle on a distance basis. The only difference would be that the driver would need to pay incrementally, (incidentally incurring a bank security risk), and any additional costs levied on "inexperienced or otherwise risky drivers" would be negated by a 'less risky driver' becoming the vehicle keeper and lending the risky one(s) their bank card. That woulld bring the insurance fiddle of a teenager driving around on their parent's insurance most of the time, to the road use tax environment.

Last edited:

corfield

Nothing yet has addressed that this doesnt need to happen and is not practical.

Thinking that because car parks and very few toll roads do it, it could be scaled up to 100% of driveable road - is asinine.

Road pricing requires someone to price each bit of road, everywhere. You want to price for congestion/pollution/maintenance/rat runs/schools/basic distance covered and so on and so on. Unlike Uber there is no demand signal, and unlike other transport options no competition - so there is nothing to drive what the price would or should be.

The arguments that will cause, due to the sheer variety of people’s usage, and the complete impossibility of even aiming at a “cost neutral” solution for drivers (with absolute uproar from those affected) - is what practically sinks this.

The only option would be to make it so cheap everyone gains, vs. fuel / VED. At which point it fails because it hasn’t solved the problem of reduced revenue.

The civil liberties argument is that aside from very specific “pinch” points, we have never been expected to have our vehicle location recorded, tracked and with financial consequences.

This is a nation that doesn’t want to have to prove who it is without due process. This system requires the owner to declare a location at all times - or be liable for the costs of others.

For a society that rejected motorway tolling even when it really wanted the roads that would pay for - this will never be accepted.

Even setting civil liberties aside - this would be a blank cheque to abuse for funding ever other non road, or non cost of driving project the Govt wanted (NHS / Defence / Education / Millennium Domes etc.). Our Govt absolutely would abuse that and people will never trust it not to.

Road pricing is dead in the UK, and trying to use the change from IC to electric vehicles is not going to be the excuse to shoehorn it in.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Thinking that because car parks and very few toll roads do it, it could be scaled up to 100% of driveable road - is asinine.

Road pricing requires someone to price each bit of road, everywhere. You want to price for congestion/pollution/maintenance/rat runs/schools/basic distance covered and so on and so on. Unlike Uber there is no demand signal, and unlike other transport options no competition - so there is nothing to drive what the price would or should be.

The arguments that will cause, due to the sheer variety of people’s usage, and the complete impossibility of even aiming at a “cost neutral” solution for drivers (with absolute uproar from those affected) - is what practically sinks this.

The only option would be to make it so cheap everyone gains, vs. fuel / VED. At which point it fails because it hasn’t solved the problem of reduced revenue.

The civil liberties argument is that aside from very specific “pinch” points, we have never been expected to have our vehicle location recorded, tracked and with financial consequences.

This is a nation that doesn’t want to have to prove who it is without due process. This system requires the owner to declare a location at all times - or be liable for the costs of others.

For a society that rejected motorway tolling even when it really wanted the roads that would pay for - this will never be accepted.

Even setting civil liberties aside - this would be a blank cheque to abuse for funding ever other non road, or non cost of driving project the Govt wanted (NHS / Defence / Education / Millennium Domes etc.). Our Govt absolutely would abuse that and people will never trust it not to.

Road pricing is dead in the UK, and trying to use the change from IC to electric vehicles is not going to be the excuse to shoehorn it in.

Your in bold - yes our dislike of toll roads has been nagging away at the back of my mind.

Can you imagine if we were suddenly expected to pay to use web-sites. No adverts would be very nice and stop hogging band width. But it would never catch on.

Truth is fuel tax is going to need replacing because electric cars do not use petrol/diesel - something I had not thought of when this thread started !. It is going to have to be done by a fairly simple method. Worrying about time of use or the nature of the road does not have to be perfect as it will be more accurate/fair (?) than just taxing fuel. But how to make it work ?.

The urgency is that the government are probably already watching their revenues falling as electric and hybrid cars take over. All this will do is make alternatives to internal combustion engines in cars less attractive. We need to reduce the need for cars.

When I moved to Croydon in 1988 I had no car (stolen). I used a hire car for my music festival. But over about five years I did rather suffer as DIY was difficult and it left me unable to visit friends back home outside London. In the end I got a car for next to nothing - A Vauxhall Cavalier which was so reliable. Thus began my affair with old bangers !. Thing is it was hard 30 years ago without a car and now it is harder.

Last edited:

MarlowDonkey

Truth is fuel tax is going to need replacing because electric cars do not use petrol/diesel

You pay a tax on the electricity used to recharge. If the car has some method of communicating independent of its owner, it may not be that complex. Less so than reporting where it is every other second.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Not necessarily. You just divide the country into a few bands. One price for all rural areas. A more expensive price for urban areas. And presumably a separate higher price for inner urban areas in large cities where congestion is very high - such as the London congestion charging zone. You've solved the problem of discouraging driving in urban areas without hitting people in rural areas where congestion isn't a problem. And no need to do a detailed pricing of every road (which I actually agree with you would cause a huge number of problems and arguments).

NotATrainspott

Established Member
To return to the original technology focus of the topic, if the idea is to use technology and data to set pricing to discourage certain types of private journey by car and incentivise alternatives (e.g. as is strongly implied by posts 5, 10, 14, 18, 35, 40, 42 and others), then we could include vehicle occupancy data in the data set collected and transmitted. Most new cars now have seat occupancy sensors fitted to warn when someone isn't wearing their seat belt, so the number of passengers being conveyed by the vehicle could also be collected. Perhaps also the vehicle could have an overall weight sensor (as new trains do) so it isn't as easily fooled by a couple of bags of shopping on the back seat.

You could use this data to set pricing incentives for multi-occupancy rather than driver only journeys (given footprint per person conveyed is objectively reduced). And to differentiate the school run parent from the tradesman doing a job in the same neighbourhood, or the carer undertaking a home visit, you could detect how many occupants are in a vehicle entering an area within the vicinity of a school and how many when it leaves again, triangulate this with the time the vehicle entered and exited the area, infer a school run journey and charge accordingly if it is desired to reduce school run journeys in that particular neighbourhood.

Is this technologically possible in support of managing a fine grained transport policy? Absolutely. Will there be edge cases and a lot of refinement required to avoid rough justice in certain scenarios? Of course. Is it proportionate to the overall objective and acceptable to society at large? That's for you to decide.

:)

You really don't need to do this. If you have 5 folk in the office who all realise they would pay £5 each to drive to work, and they all live near to each other, then they should be smart enough to realise that car-pooling would cut that down to £1 each.

The Byzantine mechanisms used to create car pooling incentives are just a sticking plaster on the fact that we don't have a vehicle charging mechanism. They have numerous flaws and they are not practical to be installed across the entire road network. At best, they could be used at specific pinch-points (think unavoidable bridges and tunnels).

The abuse relies on your false fellow passenger having nothing better to do with their time !. I cannot see them staying in the car while I do my days work !. True enough my trip to the nearest shops would be with my better half, otherwise I walk.

You'd be astonished at what people will do when the economic incentive is there. If you've not noticed the clickbait ads on the internet, there's a whole world in telling people crazy and easy ways to save £20 here and there.

But you raise a point about older cars. I drive a 1993 car. It is not brilliantly efficient but I used to avoid using it much. To replace my cherished old banger with a more efficient/environmental car involves a carbon footprint for making the new car and disposing of the old car. Not worth it if i am not using the old car much. I am a great believer in making things to last as, in the long run, that is more efficient.

Anyway as regards new cars we all know about the LIES that Volkswagon Audi Group told about the emissions from their cars/vans so as to get an unfair advantage over other manufacturers. That makes my cherished old banger less of a baddie !.

The solution to the inbuilt carbon problem of new cars is to tax carbon emissions throughout the entire supply chain. Then, the true carbon cost of manufacture will be included in the purchase price, and so all the other financing decisions (e.g. whether you'll save money vs keeping your old car) will make the right outcome happen. With a carbon tax applied on petrol and diesel the cost of running a less efficient (possibly older) vehicle would also be properly accounted for.

There is no possible justification for an inbuilt contactless reader in every car. The government knows who owns each car on the road. If we want to charge them money, then we send them an angry letter threatening to take their car away if they don't pay up.

A good analogy to use is Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation requiring the least assumptions is probably the correct one. In our case, the system which requires the least assumptions about the state of the world is also probably the best one. A positioning-based tax system is technologically trivial and relies solely on the hard, verifiable facts about where a given lump of metal was at any given time. A tax system which can be audited by using live satellite imagery is probably better than one which requires individual interrogations of everyone involved!

There is nothing asinine about it. The technological complexity we're talking about is basically trivial for even a medium-sized technology-native company. My own job involves building and maintaining systems that process orders of magnitude more data than would be needed for this.

The nice thing is that with this technology, it's possible to experiment. We can put some levers in the hands of data scientist civil servants and see what happens, just as happens in more developed public transport networks. What happens if we increase the cost of driving on a given road? What's the relationship between pricing and congestion? We can learn a whole universe of information here about how to optimise. That optimisation would be for the sake of society. Every pound of efficiency gained is a pound that can be used to better health or education or lower taxes.

I also ask you to consider, for just one second, that two months ago life was totally normal. Today, we live in a state functionally more authoritarian than NORTH KOREA. You are legally not allowed to leave your home without having at least one of a set number of excuses. The entire world of liberalism has disappeared without a trace, because we realise that something is more important. Sure, we're going to get our liberties back, but almost certainly at a cost of increased health surveillance. The speed with which the population has not only accepted but demanded the measures we're seeing must astonish you. When the existing car taxation system implodes to EVs and any alternative scheme has such obvious flaws, I think you'll be surprised by how quickly society comes around to accepting vehicle charging too. If new cars can drive themselves by then, then your entire mental model of car use and ownership has already gone out of the window. What difference would some vehicle charging make on top of that?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'd say this article perfectly shows one reason why we need to have cars reporting their location to a national database (and perhaps, speed, although that could be deduced from sufficiently accurate location data) - irrespective of the arguments over road charging.

Guardian said:
The Greater Manchester mayor, Andy Burnham, revealed last week that 40% of cars in the region were exceeding the speed limit, double the rate of 20-25% from before the lockdown.

He said the number of cars on the road in Greater Manchester had “dropped quite significantly” to about 2m, but that there had been a significant rise in the number of speeding vehicles – reaching 45% of all cars at one point.

Burnham said: “That will be worrying in any event, but it’s particularly worrying when more families are out and about taking walks, people are running, cycling, just more people on our pavements. The worry is with so many people out taking exercise on the pavements more crowded than normal. This poses risks to public safety.”

A motorbike rider was arrested last week after being caught speeding at 150mph along the M23 in West Sussex.

How many people's lives are being put at risk by the minority of selfish motorists who think that driving safely is only for other people? Lives that would not be put at risk if seriously speeding instantly got flagged up on a national database so that action could always be taken - instead of - as at present - only if the police happen to be around to see you or if you pass a speed camera - which of course allows almost all people who drive at dangerous speeds to get away with it.

Just this evening I went out for a walk in London (for my allowed exercise) - and a few seconds after I'd crossed a 30mph relatively straight residential road, a car zoomed past at what must have been at least 50 or 60mph.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
I'd say this article perfectly shows one reason why we need to have cars reporting their location to a national database (and perhaps, speed, although that could be deduced from sufficiently accurate location data) - irrespective of the arguments over road charging.

How many people's lives are being put at risk by the minority of selfish motorists who think that driving safely is only for other people? Lives that would not be put at risk if seriously speeding instantly got flagged up on a national database so that action could always be taken - instead of - as at present - only if the police happen to be around to see you or if you pass a speed camera - which of course allows almost all people who drive at dangerous speeds to get away with it.

Just this evening I went out for a walk in London (for my allowed exercise) - and a few seconds after I'd crossed a 30mph relatively straight residential road, a car zoomed past at what must have been at least 50 or 60mph.
Or those stats show that speed limits have been reduced too much.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I reckon the type of person who does not care about speed limits is the very same type that does not care about the lockdown.

While I was driving to work recently I was really struck by how many cars were overtaking me because they could see a gap in front !.

I have always noticed that the hardened speeders slow down where they know the cameras are.

Reduced too much for whom ?. The driver or the other road users. But I must admit 20mph is very hard to stick to. Accelerate away from the lights and whoops 30 already !. At junctions controlled with lights it is going to cause so much congestion.

87 027

I don't disagree with the above. However if we are using real time location reporting data to identify and punish traffic violations that needs to be clearly spelt out from the outset.

Indeed given that the next generation of positioning satellites can pinpoint location to an incredibly high degree of accuracy let's also do something about the problem of unnecessary middle lane hogging on motorways. That also must be a safety issue (as well as non-efficient utilisation of scarce roadspace)...

Harpers Tate

Established Member
So how would that treat a journey adding to chronic congestion where there are plenty of public transport alternatives compared with a similar distance through empty rural roads where there is no public transport option at all?
By loading "waiting time" appropriately - time spent with the car "on" but not moving/moving slowly.
It wouldn't give any "immediate true representation of the cost of the journey"
I wasn't clear - I meant to the user so they can more readily see what the trip cost (vs. eg using public transport) which may affect their choices.
any additional costs levied on "inexperienced or otherwise risky drivers" would be negated by a 'less risky driver' becoming the vehicle keeper and lending the risky one(s) their bank card. That woulld bring the insurance fiddle of a teenager driving around on their parent's insurance most of the time, to the road use tax environment.
My suggestion is no different to the current situation as regards insurance where anyone who drives the car has to be included in the insurance policy with an attendant effect on premiums.

The Ham

Established Member
Not necessarily. You just divide the country into a few bands. One price for all rural areas. A more expensive price for urban areas. And presumably a separate higher price for inner urban areas in large cities where congestion is very high - such as the London congestion charging zone. You've solved the problem of discouraging driving in urban areas without hitting people in rural areas where congestion isn't a problem. And no need to do a detailed pricing of every road (which I actually agree with you would cause a huge number of problems and arguments).

Indeed, much in the same way in which we have standard speed limits (30/60/70moh) with other speed limits set on a case by case basis.

For example all rural roads would be one price and one price for all urban roads with premiums for roads within the above bands which justify extra charges (i.e. to stop rat running, due to congestion, have a high accident rate, any other reason which justifies an extra charge).

Maybe 2 bands would be too simplistic, however you wouldn't need to "price" every bit of road.

The Ham

Established Member
You pay a tax on the electricity used to recharge. If the car has some method of communicating independent of its owner, it may not be that complex. Less so than reporting where it is every other second.

Firstly we don't pay much tax on electricity, secondly more and more people have solar energy on which there's no tax at all.

The Ham

Established Member

If a car is doing 50 rather than 30, by the time the car doing 30 has stopped the car doing 50 would have only slowed to 44.

It's why we should all be driving more slowly than the speed limit, so as to reduce the risk of being involved in an accident. In doing so we'll reduce the pressure on the NHS, which will save lives.

However there's still people doing things like driving whilst under the influence of alcohol. In one case whilst also having Covid-19 symptoms, so when they crashed it then exposed the police who attended to the risk of catching the virus.

As someone said there's two reasons which impact on the speed of the virus:
- the density of the population

The Ham

Established Member

More likely the reason that many people don't normally does is because of congestion mixed with there being enough people sticking to the rules (probably those staying at home) and driving at the speed limit.

AM9

Veteran Member
If a car is doing 50 rather than 30, by the time the car doing 30 has stopped the car doing 50 would have only slowed to 44.

It's why we should all be driving more slowly than the speed limit, so as to reduce the risk of being involved in an accident. In doing so we'll reduce the pressure on the NHS, which will save lives.

However there's still people doing things like driving whilst under the influence of alcohol. In one case whilst also having Covid-19 symptoms, so when they crashed it then exposed the police who attended to the risk of catching the virus.

As someone said there's two reasons which impact on the speed of the virus:
Why is this thread gravitating into one about COVID-19? There are plenty of other threads on Rail UK forums dealing with every aspect of the epidemic.

The Ham

Established Member
I listed a whole load of technical challenges.
But they are all irrelevant if the public refuses to trust the government with such a privacy intrusion.
And it will be much harder for the government to slide this one through as they have with ANPR and interception of phone and computer systems, as the car driving public will see it as tax-raising persecution (See opposition to fuel price rises) rather than something to protect them from paedos and terrorists.

There were a few key reasons why people objected to the fuel duty increases, two of the key ones are:
- lorries from overseas being able to fill up with fuel and therefore undercut local lorries
- those in rural areas with no alternatives

By tracking vehicles and charging them this would apply to all vehicles, including those from overseas. This would remove the first problem.

By charging roads based on how busy they are then rural areas would be charged less tax, whilst those most easily be able use public transport would be taxed the most. Which would reduce this objection.

With motorway charges one of the problems highlighted was that people would just use the other roads, if those roads are also being charged then this wouldn't be a problem.

Given the above the objections would be harder to make, in that tracking and charging actually improves things over the existing situation.

AM9

Veteran Member
By loading "waiting time" appropriately - time spent with the car "on" but not moving/moving slowly. ...
That wouldn't address the user driving unnecessarily when there is an underused publiic transport option though. Interestingly, it might be very useful to reduce the wanton disregard for the health of others by drivers who insist on running their IC engine whilst playing abojt with their phone, or 'keeping warm'. Despite may warnings about this there are plenty of selfish drivers who think that it doesn't apply to them.

... I wasn't clear - I meant to the user so they can more readily see what the trip cost (vs. eg using public transport) which may affect their choices. ...
The incremental costs would still be quite low so authorising a card transfer would become as automatic as starting or stopping the engine with little orr no attention paid to the cost.

... My suggestion is no different to the current situation as regards insurance where anyone who drives the car has to be included in the insurance policy with an attendant effect on premiums.
Which is the fraudulent behaviour that I referred to, - so your suggestion wouldn't fix that either.

The Ham

Established Member

One thing which could be added to such a scheme would be the ability to have roadside beacons which added extra charges for things like entering a congestion charge zone. Due to the fairly low extra costs with such a system you could do things like add £1 to driving near a school during pick up/drop off.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
That wouldn't address the user driving unnecessarily when there is an underused publiic transport option though.
Not directly, no. But the concept is that - by seeing the "cost" of the trip at the time it's made (so - much like paying a bus or train fare, rather than the true cost being "disconnected" from the point of use as at present) may trigger different decisions.

AM9

Veteran Member
Not directly, no. But the concept is that - by seeing the "cost" of the trip at the time it's made (so - much like paying a bus or train fare, rather than the true cost being "disconnected" from the point of use as at present) may trigger different decisions.
I disagree. Your suggestion said that the cost only appears at the end of the journey by which time it is too late. Despite motoring costs being much higher than assumed by those who only think of the marginal cost, it doesn't seem to register with many and once the car is owned, the payment is almost automatic. The shock, (or pleasure) of aggregate costs would probably have a greater effect and cause a reassessment of an driver's habits. Any annual charges levied by the government (a successor to the current VED) plus the charge that represents the true cost (to society) of their motoring I believe would focus minds a lot better. Those whose need is genuine would see it as a cost of mobility. Those who make unnecessary trips that adversely affect others would get a regular wake-up call.

AM9

Veteran Member
One thing which could be added to such a scheme would be the ability to have roadside beacons which added extra charges for things like entering a congestion charge zone. Due to the fairly low extra costs with such a system you could do things like add £1 to driving near a school during pick up/drop off.
With the geographical charging that NotATrainspott proposes, that would be picked up by time and location charges without the need to start planting yet more posts alongside roads. 5G when mature and rolled-out will be able to triangulate to determine the location better than passing a beacon, without any increase in radio band allocations and the need to support the operation of beacons.

The Ham

Established Member
With the geographical charging that NotATrainspott proposes, that would be picked up by time and location charges without the need to start planting yet more posts alongside roads. 5G when mature and rolled-out will be able to triangulate to determine the location better than passing a beacon, without any increase in radio band allocations and the need to support the operation of beacons.

Indeed, I'm very much in favour of tracking.

However my post was, assuming that there was sufficient objections to this alternative would be possible to provide some of the congestion charging which tracking provided.

MarlowDonkey

Firstly we don't pay much tax on electricity, secondly more and more people have solar energy on which there's no tax at all.

My suggestion was that tax should be paid on electricity used for motoring regardless of how or where it's generated. Unacceptable on political grounds perhaps, but no more so than tracking every car, every second, every metre.

The Ham

Established Member
My suggestion was that tax should be paid on electricity used for motoring regardless of how or where it's generated. Unacceptable on political grounds perhaps, but no more so than tracking every car, every second, every metre.

How do you know what electricity had been used for charging a car and what's been used for heating the home?

MarlowDonkey

How do you know what electricity had been used for charging a car and what's been used for heating the home?

The all singing all dancing electric car reports back to base when it's being charged. Has to be at least as easy as reporting where it is every other minute.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I disagree. Your suggestion said that the cost only appears at the end of the journey by which time it is too late. Despite motoring costs being much higher than assumed by those who only think of the marginal cost, it doesn't seem to register with many and once the car is owned, the payment is almost automatic. The shock, (or pleasure) of aggregate costs would probably have a greater effect and cause a reassessment of an driver's habits. Any annual charges levied by the government (a successor to the current VED) plus the charge that represents the true cost (to society) of their motoring I believe would focus minds a lot better. Those whose need is genuine would see it as a cost of mobility. Those who make unnecessary trips that adversely affect others would get a regular wake-up call.
In such a scheme as I suggest, the cost can only be assessed at the end of the trip, of course. Ditto any "big brother" monitoring. The problem that I see with any annual fee (VED) and/or taxes on the purchase is that (given most see their car as "essential", at least outside the L&SE area) they don't affect individual trip decisions. They are "sunk" costs, disconnected (as is refuelling) from the on-the-spot decision to use the car rather than any other mode. I'm trying to more closely link each individual trip (and thereby the decision how to make it) with as much of its cost as can be. Hence causing (to whatever degree) changed decisions about whether to use the car (we already have) or go by other means.
There is no realistic way to monitor and thereby charge extra for electricity used for EV charging at home at the point of the charge, because EVs can be charged from any 13a wall outlet which cannot distinguish the purpose to which the power is used. So the car would have to report back to a central database - big brother again.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Main result - high mileage drivers keep their old cars.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Yes, but only for a time. Vehicles do have a limited useful lifespan. Natural wastage (general decrepitude, accident damage and so on) will unavoidably see numbers decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.