• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could direct trains between Watford Junction and Aylesbury be feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamskiodp

Hi again

When the Croxley rail link is eventually up and running, how realistic is an Aylesbury to Watford Junction service? Will the current trains fit the track and platforms? Is there any room for additional platforms at Watford?

Currently Aylesbury to Watford is a long bus journey all round the houses with no late night buses. A train service would make shopping and nights out easier

Regards,

Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The original sponsors (Herts CC) said in one of the reports it definitely wasn't going to happen initially:

Major Scheme Business Case said:
It should be noted that the scheme being promoted has the potential to be further developed to facilitate the operation of services between Rickmansworth/Aylesbury and Watford Junction. This variant of the scheme is not being promoted as it would have rail franchise implications that cannot be addressed at this stage and would also require additional works at Watford Junction, the feasibility of which has not been established. The scheme being promoted provides a useful first step to this long-term aspiration.
http://www.croxleyraillink.com/media/1898/croxley rail link msbc - main report.pdf
Lots more in the report, just search on 'Aylesbury'.
Gets proposed in the forums every now and again of course, so it won't go away...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The key there is potential.

In an ideal world perhaps it could happen. In this franchised world? No chance.

I agree. The business case stuff ignores the probability that no TOC would probably want to do it. I think LU are also pretty lukewarm about the possibility of regular through trains on the electrified sections. There'll probably still be the odd early and late services as now.

petersi

Does East west rail effect the usefulness as Aylesbury will have a link to Bletchley which may be faster if longer

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Does East west rail effect the usefulness as Aylesbury will have a link to Bletchley which may be faster if longer

East West gives Aylesbury a link to Milton Keynes which I imagine is a more important destination than Watford, as well as quicker links to the WCML northwards than going via Watford would. Nobody would want to travel to London via Watford as it is too slow. There is a limited scope for local journeys but these would be possible anyway with one or more changes of train.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It is possible, and would be relatively easy to do.

The issue is the business case, really; I don't think the market is there for through journeys. From west of Amersham it is two changes, both of which are cross-platform, and from east of Amersham it's only one change.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
BTW Is Watford North Curve NR or LU property?

As the whole of the line from Amersham to Harrow South Junction is LU would be a bit weird for the North Curve to belong to anyone else.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi again ??????

When the Croxley rail link is eventually up and running, how realistic is an Aylesbury to Watford Junction service? Will the current trains fit the track and platforms? Is there any room for additional platforms at Watford?

Currently Aylesbury to Watford is a long bus journey all round the houses with no late night buses. A train service would make shopping and nights out easier ????????????

Regards,

Adam

part of the original ideas was for the Chesham shuttle to operate round the North curve to Watford Junction.

Harlan Cage

There are some earlier morning services that run along the North curve to Watford Met. I have travelleda long this stretch of line on a few occasions the last of which was the Farewell to the A Stock trip.

HC

philjo

Established Member
Hertfordshire County council are currently doing a consultation on their future rail strategy.

Direct Watford Junction to Amersham electric services via the amersham Chord are listed as a medium term aspiration following on after the Croxley Link service is running. A diesel Watford junction to Aylesbury service is also mentioned as a possibility

www.hertsdirect.org/railconsultation

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
There are some earlier morning services that run along the North curve to Watford Met. I have travelleda long this stretch of line on a few occasions the last of which was the Farewell to the A Stock trip.

HC

Tee Hee Hee - I remember running late with that one morning and had just closed the doors at Ricky when the Met line manager had pegged it though the barrier thinking it was the Baker St that ran 5 mins behind it. I obligingly re-opened the doors and let him on. He gave me a right snarly look when he got off at Croxley.

Status
Not open for further replies.