Could direct trains between Watford Junction and Aylesbury be feasible?

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by adamskiodp, 30 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamskiodp

adamskiodp Member

Hi again

When the Croxley rail link is eventually up and running, how realistic is an Aylesbury to Watford Junction service? Will the current trains fit the track and platforms? Is there any room for additional platforms at Watford?

Currently Aylesbury to Watford is a long bus journey all round the houses with no late night buses. A train service would make shopping and nights out easier

Regards,

Adam

2. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    not realistic at all

BTW Is Watford North Curve NR or LU property?

Last edited: 30 Apr 2015
  3. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

The original sponsors (Herts CC) said in one of the reports it definitely wasn't going to happen initially:

Lots more in the report, just search on 'Aylesbury'.
    Gets proposed in the forums every now and again of course, so it won't go away...

4. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    The key there is potential.

In an ideal world perhaps it could happen. In this franchised world? No chance.

5. Philip C

Philip C Member

LU property.

6. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I agree. The business case stuff ignores the probability that no TOC would probably want to do it. I think LU are also pretty lukewarm about the possibility of regular through trains on the electrified sections. There'll probably still be the odd early and late services as now.

7. petersi

petersi Member

Does East west rail effect the usefulness as Aylesbury will have a link to Bletchley which may be faster if longer

8. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

East West gives Aylesbury a link to Milton Keynes which I imagine is a more important destination than Watford, as well as quicker links to the WCML northwards than going via Watford would. Nobody would want to travel to London via Watford as it is too slow. There is a limited scope for local journeys but these would be possible anyway with one or more changes of train.

9. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

It is possible, and would be relatively easy to do.

The issue is the business case, really; I don't think the market is there for through journeys. From west of Amersham it is two changes, both of which are cross-platform, and from east of Amersham it's only one change.

10. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

As the whole of the line from Amersham to Harrow South Junction is LU would be a bit weird for the North Curve to belong to anyone else.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    part of the original ideas was for the Chesham shuttle to operate round the North curve to Watford Junction.

11. Harlan Cage

Harlan Cage Member

There are some earlier morning services that run along the North curve to Watford Met. I have travelleda long this stretch of line on a few occasions the last of which was the Farewell to the A Stock trip.

HC

12. philjo

philjo Established Member

Hertfordshire County council are currently doing a consultation on their future rail strategy.

Direct Watford Junction to Amersham electric services via the amersham Chord are listed as a medium term aspiration following on after the Croxley Link service is running. A diesel Watford junction to Aylesbury service is also mentioned as a possibility

www.hertsdirect.org/railconsultation

13. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Tee Hee Hee - I remember running late with that one morning and had just closed the doors at Ricky when the Met line manager had pegged it though the barrier thinking it was the Baker St that ran 5 mins behind it. I obligingly re-opened the doors and let him on. He gave me a right snarly look when he got off at Croxley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.