• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

could ScotRail use the Hull Trains Class 180s as a stopgap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Surprised no one has mentioned this before, but could ScotRail use the Hull Trains Class 180s as a stopgap once they are replaced by Class 802s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Surprised no one has mentioned this before, but could ScotRail use the Hull Trains Class 180s as a stopgap once they are replaced by Class 802s?
I’m fairly sure someone did mention it and it was said that driver training was an issue.

DanNCL

Established Member
What would be the point? The 180s have so many problems that they barely manage to provide any service at all for Hull Trains, so I can't see any way that they'd make any positive difference to any other operator either.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

We have enough problems on our railways without using trains wont to spontaneously combust, thanks all the same! ;)

Polarbear

Established Member
Can't see this being a viable plan for a few reasons. There's only four HT 180's and without being too harsh, HT have had an almighty struggle providing any reliable service with them for a fair chunk of 2018.

Even if the GC 180's were available for use, that still only provides 14 sets. Whilst pleasant to travel on from a customers' point of view, they're a rubbish design under the floor pan. Once HT & GC have stopped using them, I suspect that they'll either become available for spot hire (with some being cannibalised to keep the remaining units working) or a one way trip to the scrap yard.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Hull Trains is having enough problems with the 180s. There is no way another TOC will want to take on a micro-fleet that can really only sustain 1-2 diagrams per day. The reliability problems won't go away.
The 802s should be introduced in 2020, which means it'll be about 2 before they're actually introduced. Then one has to train ScotRail staff up (which is already a huge problem because training is very behind). Once that happens, we're left with yet another ScotRail microfleet for long distance travel. That's 4 different types (HST "classic", HST "refurbished", class 170, class 180).

Harbornite

Established Member
Scotland may be a cold place but they don't really need additional bonfires to keep warm.

VT 390

Established Member
Can't see this being a viable plan for a few reasons. There's only four HT 180's and without being too harsh, HT have had an almighty struggle providing any reliable service with them for a fair chunk of 2018.

Even if the GC 180's were available for use, that still only provides 14 sets. Whilst pleasant to travel on from a customers' point of view, they're a rubbish design under the floor pan. Once HT & GC have stopped using them, I suspect that they'll either become available for spot hire (with some being cannibalised to keep the remaining units working) or a one way trip to the scrap yard.

Could carriages from 180's be added to 175's to make them longer, at least until Transport for Wales gets their new fleet of trains.

Polarbear

Established Member
Could carriages from 180's be added to 175's to make them longer, at least until Transport for Wales gets their new fleet of trains.

Theoretically, I expect that wouldn’t be difficult to do, but someone who knows more about the difference between 175’s & 180’s (other than top speed-there are bound to be some), may be able to comment in more detail.

That said, HT won’t be able to release any of the 180’s until Dec 19/Jan 20 at the very earliest. That wouldn’t give much time for TfW to make much use of them, so I doubt it would be worth the hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.