• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could/Should all the Sub-Surface lines merge into one line eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I would object to putting all sub-surface routes under the one brand/name, other than the current set up of calling them sub-surface routes.

The current system of four distinct routes, with distinct colours on maps, provides a vital customer service function, in that it helps the customers understand how and where respective common train services do in fact operate.

I would prefer a re-structure of the sub-surface routes, including the following,

--Rename District Line, as Charles Line
--Rename Hammersmith & City line as Diana Line

-- Introduce two new ones. Charles Loop and Diana Loop. They would service the eastern side/end of Charles Line and Diana Line respectively, and loop around the circle line. Charles Loop shall be clockwise only, Diana Loop shall be anti-clockwise only.

I applaud this quite brilliantly scripted satire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I applaud this quite brilliantly scripted satire.

Well I certainly don't:oops:!

Getting back to what this thread is supposed to be about I've come to the conclusion that what we've got now is probably the best option for the sub surface lines although I do think the H&C/Circle Line should be renamed.

And maybe reroute the District Line to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge and the Piccadilly Line to Ealing Broadway to avoid different platform heights?

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Well I certainly don't:oops:!

Getting back to what this thread is supposed to be about I've come to the conclusion that what we've got now is probably the best option for the sub surface lines although I do think the H&C/Circle Line should be renamed.

And maybe reroute the District Line to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge and the Piccadilly Line to Ealing Broadway to avoid different platform heights?

It's probably way too late now because it Crossrail but I would also switch the Heathrow branch over to the District line, in hindsight it should've been this way to begin with.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's probably way too late now because it Crossrail but I would also switch the Heathrow branch over to the District line, in hindsight it should've been this way to begin with.
Only tube trains will fit down the tunnels past Hounslow Central, the cost to convert these tunnels would be huge for not really any benefit.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Only tube trains will fit down the tunnels past Hounslow Central, the cost to convert these tunnels would be huge for not really any benefit.

The Piccadilly also gives much better coverage than the District of central London destinations. Ironically Crossrail now serves similar areas to the Piccadilly so if it was possible at reasonable cost (which it isn't) it might now be better to run the Heathrow service on the District via Embankment.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Or.... hear me out here.... spend that money on the North!

Seriously, we'll name the Leeds to Manchester TPE route after any royal you want, even King Charles, if you give us 5 minute frequencies and £10 end to end fares, with Oyster cards and 8 car trains.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

Seriously, we'll name the Leeds to Manchester TPE route after any royal you want, even King Charles, if you give us 5 minute frequencies and £10 end to end fares, with Oyster cards and 8 car trains.

As long as you don't mind taking a few million from London's population as well

NorthKent1989

Established Member

I agree with this.

But name it after someone Northern who has done more for their community than some decrepit royal whose only experience of the North is by watching old
George Formby black and white films from the 30s/40s :D

sprunt

I agree with this.

But name it after someone Northern who has done more for their community than some decrepit royal whose only experience of the North is by watching old
George Formby black and white films from the 30s/40s :D

The George Formby line it is then!

Status
Not open for further replies.