Could Tornado go for Mallard's speed record?

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by gtis, 7 Mar 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

Really? 90+ - regularly?

2. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Yes, I've seen a log where Forfar to Perth (32.5 miles) was covered in just 27 mins and 32 secs against the booked 32 mins with 94 mph recorded twice.

Certainly on your average run it would be unusual not to hit at least 80-odd mph.

3. johnr57

johnr57 Member

now there's a thought !!

4. gtis

gtis Member

Thanks for all your comments really interesting I suppose the A1 group wouldn’t want to break there pride and joy
    And I wouldn’t want the mallards record broken
    Neil

5. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

I'd bet a good bottle of wine - regardless of what might be said officially - that every member of the A1 group has wondered at some time, and in particular after the 100 mph test run: a) what the top speed of Tornado could be if allowed free rein on the right section of track? and b) whether it could equal, if not beat, Mallard's record?
    It's the nature of the beast - they've created an express passenger locomotive - of course they'd love to know it's top speed.
    But they are realists (or they are at least led by realists) with experts in engineering, finance and operating who keep their emotions well under the control of their professional heads. That's how they got the A1 built in the first place - it would otherwise have remained a dream.

In some ways, it's down to economics. As someone wrote up-thread, the LNER took a serious risk with the Mallard run in 1938. As it transpired, the fact the loco to all intents and purposes failed (in terms of being able to finish the job) was overlooked because of the glory of the achievement. I'm sure every LNER worker from Top Shed to Aberdeen Ferryhill went to work on that Monday morning feeling extra pride in the job, and the publicity department would have been quick to remind passengers they were travelling on the 'fastest railway in the land' - or words to that effect, even if the top speed of their train was unlikely to be more than 90 mph in the best of cases, and much less for the majority.

Any attempt today, by Tornado or any other loco, would definitely not bring the economic benefit comensurate with the risk: it would be a fantastic operation and great fun, but neither the A1 folk nor Network Rail could seriously benefit from success. It's no longer 1938 and the age of steam is far too long gone. And both could be seriously disadvantaged by failure. So it won't happen, and nobody in a responsible position would even suggest it.

6. colchesterken

colchesterken Member

On the subject of streamlining I wish the NRM would get some lottery money and or start an appeal to recon
    Hamilton that is a bit of kit I would love to see running around again, While on the job they could do a little bit of sensitive upgrading to the bearings and things to make it tip top

7. 156443

156443 Member

This has been put on Twitter by the official Tornado account

1 of 2 - Today there has been a major bridge strike at Castleton Moor on the Whitby branch. The bridge was hit by a refuse lorry and has been significantly damaged as has the track. The route will likely be closed for several days and means Tornado cannot leave the NYMR by rail.

2 of 2 - Although we're reluctant to move Tornado by road, we don't want to let down the SVR and those wishing to see her this weekend. We are working hard to move Tornado to Bridgnorth before the start of the gala on Friday. An outline plan for road movement is in place.

8. hexagon789

Hopefully they get Tornado out in time, and hopefully the NYMR isn't closed for too long. With a serious incident such as a bridge strike though, it's likely to be some time though I fear.

9. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This won't close the NYMR as Castelon Moor is not between Grosmont and Whitby.

10. hexagon789

Of course, I forgot Whitby is National Rail! Whoops :oops:

11. BrunswickGreen

BrunswickGreen Member

The NYMR is not closed just no rail access from Middlesbrough. The NYMR is closed until the 24th March so should not incur any problems. Depending on how long repairs to the bridge take I would suggest the only inconvenience would be a delay to the Esk Valley run for 'Reptons' NR certificate.

12. bonzawe

bonzawe Member

The bridge strike is on Network Rail, blocking the route back to Middleborough.

A road vehicle has collided with a bridge at Castleton Moor. Network Rail have assessed the bridge and due to the severity of the damage, trains are unable to run between Lealholm and Whitby until the end of service tomorrow.

Apparently NR hope to have the railway reopened on Wednesday

13. hexagon789

I realise that now, I just had a "moment" where I completely forgot that Whitby is National Rail not NYMR, though the do operate through services to there.

In my defence I'm watching telly and multi-tasking was never my strong suit ;)

14. Macwomble

Macwomble Member

Tornado is going to the SVR by road..loco & tender leaving Pickering tomorrow (Wednesday) & support coach the day after.

Apparently the bridge has been moved around 10 inches... I don't know the bridge but I'm assuming it's a steel overbridge.......so it must have been some hit by the bin lorry.

15. hexagon789

10 inches is a lot, the lorry must've doing a fair speed. I assume Network Rail will get the costs covered by the council?

16. Macwomble

Macwomble Member

Last edited: 13 Mar 2018
  17. hexagon789

Never thought of that really.

18. bearhugger

bearhugger Member

There was photos of the damage on a group on Facebook. The bridge looks to have taken a heck of whack. I shall try and locate the photos and put them on here when I get home.

19. hexagon789

It would be interesting to see the extent of the damage.

20. bearhugger

bearhugger Member

Here are the two photos from "The Esk Valley Line" Facebook group, photos shared by an officer of the Esk Valley Railway Development Company.

21. hexagon789

That looks nasty o_O

22. Macwomble

Macwomble Member

Another photo I picked up.

Looks like someone got their inches & centimeteres mixed up...10cm (4") movement perhaps. Apparently NR reckon to re-open on Friday.

Attached Files:

23. hexagon789

4 inches is still quite a bit. A Friday re-opening isn't bad going, though I've no idea how bad the overall damage was abd therefore ti what extent the repairs needed were.

24. trubla

trubla Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.