• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coupling and uncoupling with passengers on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW43125

Established Member
I stand corrected about the pull away test and yesterday I had one of the smoothest attachments I've ever had!
Arrived into Bournemouth, told doors wouldn't be released until after the attachment. Doors were then released and the only indication I had we'd coupled was two on the bell and leaving!
The front unit was definitely not released until after the attachment though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
If the coaches are coming empty from a stabling point such as Bournemouth middle sidings or Southampton goods loop (and many other locations across) and the in service train attaches on the rear then it’s much easier to keep the front unit locked.

In service attachments at places like Eastleigh and Woking requires the guard to be paying attention as the first portion will arrive and doors need to be released, as the second portion arrives the guard will need to shut the doors and take their key off from the first portion in time, many guards will prepare the fly doors on the unit being banged on to even though they’re not supposed to. After the attachment the 2nd guard in the rear unit will put up a release which should open the whole train.

I can only speak for SWR desiro that I’ve seen, never witnessed or other attachments.

Statto

Established Member
All services in Scotland at all locations including the caledonian sleeper couple and split with passengers on board. I don't think anyone's ever been injured.

Yep, be quite a consternation from passengers being turfed out of there beds onto the platforms then back onto the sleeper in the middle of the night, especially if it was at Carstairs, to allow the sleeper to join/split.:E

As mentioned trains split/join all the time at Machynlleth, i didn't even notice the train joining last summer when i did the Pwllheli-Shrewsbury train.

dctraindriver

No need to ease up on a Desiro, the "cam" mechanism seem to be good at uncoupling without the need to ease up (it wouldn't be possible either), as far as I'm aware anyway. When splitting a Desiro, the uncouple button on the desk is held down until the uncouple solenoid energises and directs air to the uncoupling cylinders on both units which disengages the coupling mechanisms. At the same time it "switches off" the drum switch and the cab becomes active allowing the driver to set-back. The motion of the units parting is detected by a proximity switch on the coupler face which retracts the electrical heads and the uncouple solenoid de-energises.

The only time I've come across a non-coupling issue is when the unit had an intermittent traction fault too!

My memory isn't great, but the only time I think I've had to "ease up" has been with a shunt loco and the uncoupling has to be done manually. But even that's rarely needed as they part with ease normally.

Traction manual 450/444 states ease up for SWR. If that’s what it says that’s what I’m doing.....

Val3ntine

It’s written in the traction manual, so that’s what I do.....

Ah thought maybe I was going crazy and perhaps we didn’t need to cheers for confirming. Tried to fire up my tablet to confirm but im sure you can guess how far I got with that thing

Status
Not open for further replies.