• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry Electric Railway Museum to close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
The crowdfunding page covers the SERA items, the 309 units, 307 & 308 cars are owned by ERM and they are accepting PayPal donations to support these via a pinned post on the ERM Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/electricrailwaymuseum/posts/10155529483238624

This leaves the 312, 501 and 2-HAP units which are privately owned. Anyone wanting to help the owners can contact me on here directly and I will put you in touch with them.

I'd be willing to send some limited amount of money to the 312 owner if there's a realistic prospect of a home being found for it.

SERA01UK

I'd be willing to send some limited amount of money to the 312 owner if there's a realistic prospect of a home being found for it.

The 312 does have an offer of a new home, I can't give any details here but if you private message me your contact details I will gladly put you in touch with the owner.

For information it looks very promising for the future of the collection after two months of hard work and a lot of phone calls, meetings etc. Virtually every rail item on site has some where to go after the closure of the ERM, the only obstacle is paying for it of course...

Roast Veg

Established Member
For information it looks very promising for the future of the collection after two months of hard work and a lot of phone calls, meetings etc. Virtually every rail item on site has some where to go after the closure of the ERM, the only obstacle is paying for it of course...

Excellent news, glad to hear the hard work paid off.

torten

Nice to hear the vast majority of the collection is being saved. It's stuff like the Class 457 I'm worried about.

reddragon

Established Member
I visited the museum today, so nice to see the trains I travelled on in my younger days.

Did feel like attending a funeral though.

For us to donate to help, I think better information of needs, costs & plans would go a long way.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
After attending today (mostly for the 457 and the 308), I couldn't help but notice that there seems to be a disused line that goes from the ERM to the mainline between Coventry and Kenilworth.

I wonder what will happen to that once the airport has been expanded?

MK Tom

Established Member
After attending today (mostly for the 457 and the 308), I couldn't help but notice that there seems to be a disused line that goes from the ERM to the mainline between Coventry and Kenilworth.

I wonder what will happen to that once the airport has been expanded?

There is no line - a quick look on Google Earth confirms it's just the museum's demonstration line.

AFAIK the museum was just set up on a random site with no prior railway history.

SERA01UK

Over a thousand visitors this weekend, many thanks to those who turned out to be part of the Heritage Open Weekend event.

We have one final open day on Sunday October 8th and then it's time to move on.

Nothing is getting scrapped if we can get them to their new homes, and yes we have found new homes for everything that matters on site.

The closure of the ERM is regrettable but given the Council's inability to support the museum over the years that has prevented it from developing into the facility it aspired to be. Going from one short term five year lease to another meant there was never any eligibility to seek grants and other funding for covered working or museum space and five years is not a long enough tenure for any serious investment; no museum can live out of a suitcase.

The relocation of these projects will inject new impetus and enthusiasm that the previously insecure tenure hampered.

The ERM, despite the lack of support it received from the local council over the years, has laid a marker down and proved that even a basic facility dedicated to the history of electric traction can serve as a worthwhile and enjoyable visitor attraction. Imagine what could be achieved where the local authority was encouraging and engaging with the museum.

MK Tom

Established Member
Over a thousand visitors this weekend, many thanks to those who turned out to be part of the Heritage Open Weekend event.

Nothing is getting scrapped if we can get them to their new homes, and yes we have found new homes for everything that matters on site.

The closure of the ERM is regrettable but given the Council's inability to support the museum over the years that has prevented it from developing into the facility it aspired to be. Going from one short term five year lease to another meant there was never any eligibility to seek grants and other funding for covered working or museum space and five years is not a long enough tenure for any serious investment; no museum can live out of a suitcase.

The relocation of these projects will inject new impetus and enthusiasm that the previously insecure tenure hampered.

The ERM, despite the lack of support it received from the local council over the years, has laid a marker down and proved that even a basic facility dedicated to the history of electric traction can serve as a worthwhile and enjoyable visitor attraction. Imagine what could be achieved where the local authority was encouraging and engaging with the museum.

Is there any thought in the direction of establishing a new site in a completely different location? I'm also conscious that there are a few EMU vehicles at the Finmere station site that'll be looking for new homes when HS2 destroys that site in the coming years.

Not to be fussy but does 'everything that matters' include the 506 cab too?

I've donated to the main ERM fund but it's difficult to choose which specific item matters most personally.

SERA01UK

Personally speaking I'm not sure if I would have the stomach to start again, I'd rather get on with vehicle restoration and not spend my time on infrastructure and planning public events; that is after all what I got into railway preservation to do.

'Everything that matters' includes the 506 cab, all that is not included in that category is the steam crane (owner uncontactable) and the remains of the steel bodied C&SLR carriage that is not and never was a viable restoration project.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I want to say that I visited this weekend and what a wonderful collection and day out! I urge everyone with a vague interest in EMU stock like this to make every effort to visit on the remaining open weekend next month.

Pleased to hear that (subject to £££) almost everything has a decent prospect of a new home.

Was worth it just for the nostalgia of the 308 driving car...

theageofthetra

On Moderation

What are the public transport options from Coventry rail station for the Oct one or are you hoping to run a heritage bus?

The lack of support from the Local Authority is depressing but not surprising.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I'm glad to have been a part of Sunday's event. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I live less than 10 miles away but I have never actually been. It was a great day, lots of nostalgia and as expected all the staff were on hand with information about each item on-site.

I hope all the restoration projects will continue in their new homes.

Thanks,
Ross

MK Tom

Established Member
Personally speaking I'm not sure if I would have the stomach to start again, I'd rather get on with vehicle restoration and not spend my time on infrastructure and planning public events; that is after all what I got into railway preservation to do.

'Everything that matters' includes the 506 cab, all that is not included in that category is the steam crane (owner uncontactable) and the remains of the steel bodied C&SLR carriage that is not and never was a viable restoration project.

If I could "like" this post I would.

SERA01UK

What are the public transport options from Coventry rail station for the Oct one or are you hoping to run a heritage bus?

We are really hoping to have one or two heritage buses running between the city centre, railway station and our site on the last open day; it will tie in so well with the beer festival we have planned for that day on site as part of the event.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
We are really hoping to have one or two heritage buses running between the city centre, railway station and our site on the last open day; it will tie in so well with the beer festival we have planned for that day on site as part of the event.

Excellent news. Hope you can get that sorted

SERA01UK

The bus timetable for our final event on Sunday October 8th is now live on our website. We have added some intermediate stops between the city centre and our site to get as many of you as possible to the party!

You can also get the full tasting notes for the ales and ciders that will be on sale during the day (while stocks last).

www.electricrailwaymuseum.co.uk

SERA01UK

This is the definitive list of what is happening next to the ERM collection, or at least those that can be confirmed so far:

309 624 (960 102) is to move permanently to be part of the fleet at The Lavender Line in East Sussex. The railway will take ownership of it and have exciting plans to restore it to a passenger carrying unit for use as hauled stock with their resident diesel locos

309 616 (960 101) also has a home at a heritage site where it will continue in the Role it had at ERM as a cafe,Museum coach and staff accommodation, the details of the site won’t be made public until after it has arrived there in the early part of 2018. The Ruston & Hornsby 88DS loco ‘Crabtree’ is moving to the same location.

In addition to LAB 4 HASTINGS there are several other vehicles moving to the Battlefield Line, they are:

The South Tyneside 2 car EPB unit along with the Ironclad tool van as a project support vehicle. The unit is being restored back to as built North East condition and will be passenger stock.
The Ruston & Hornsby 165DE Diesel Electric 0-4-0 MAZDA,
The LNER brake van, LMS hand crane and BR lowfit wagon.
In addition the LNWR station waiting shelter is also to go to the Battlefield Line.

The 2-HAP unit is currently the subject of a preservation bid by a group wanting to take it to a heritage line in North Wales.

The 4-SUB and class 503 unit along with the spare 4-EPB TSO will be moving to secure, safe storage in the south of England. Both units will be the subject of much needed long term restoration projects and more details will be made available in due course by the owning organisation.

The restored class 457 car 67300 and the Hawthorne Lesley Bo-Bo loco ‘Kearsley No.1’ will be moving to the East Kent Railway to go on display.

The Colne Valley Railway is to become a hub for AC EMU preservation as the new home to both 312 vehicles along with the 307 and 308 cars; the latter currently contains the Victoria Line signalling display which will be moved to a more permanent home at the CVR in the future to allow the interior restoration of that vehicle. Joining these vehicles is RSH Bo-Bo battery electric locomotive Heysham No. 1 ‘DOUG TOTTMAN’.

Both the Liverpool Overhead Trailer Car 7 and the body of the 1903 City & South London Railway Car are to be moved to storage. The remains of the steel C&SLR car is available to anyone this wants it as surplus to requiremnts.

That leaves...

The APT power car which is part of the national collection is currently under negotiations for a new home.
Experimental wagon HSFV1 is likewise under negotiations so watch this space, it has yet to be signed off so this can’t be announced yet.
4wd Battery Electric loco EE905 Spondon No.1 has offers under consideration
2-EPB unit 6307 is awaiting confirmation of new owners and the 501 unit is awaiting agreement on a new site currently under negotiations.

And that is everything....

Some items still need your help getting funded to move to these locations, the crowdfunding page is still open at:
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/savethetrains

Many thanks for reading.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This is the definitive list of what is happening next to the ERM collection, or at least those that can be confirmed so far:

309 624 (960 102) is to move permanently to be part of the fleet at The Lavender Line in East Sussex. The railway will take ownership of it and have exciting plans to restore it to a passenger carrying unit for use as hauled stock with their resident diesel locos

309 616 (960 101) also has a home at a heritage site where it will continue in the Role it had at ERM as a cafe,Museum coach and staff accommodation, the details of the site won’t be made public until after it has arrived there in the early part of 2018. The Ruston & Hornsby 88DS loco ‘Crabtree’ is moving to the same location.

In addition to LAB 4 HASTINGS there are several other vehicles moving to the Battlefield Line, they are:

The South Tyneside 2 car EPB unit along with the Ironclad tool van as a project support vehicle. The unit is being restored back to as built North East condition and will be passenger stock.
The Ruston & Hornsby 165DE Diesel Electric 0-4-0 MAZDA,
The LNER brake van, LMS hand crane and BR lowfit wagon.
In addition the LNWR station waiting shelter is also to go to the Battlefield Line.

The 2-HAP unit is currently the subject of a preservation bid by a group wanting to take it to a heritage line in North Wales.

The 4-SUB and class 503 unit along with the spare 4-EPB TSO will be moving to secure, safe storage in the south of England. Both units will be the subject of much needed long term restoration projects and more details will be made available in due course by the owning organisation.

The restored class 457 car 67300 and the Hawthorne Lesley Bo-Bo loco ‘Kearsley No.1’ will be moving to the East Kent Railway to go on display.

The Colne Valley Railway is to become a hub for AC EMU preservation as the new home to both 312 vehicles along with the 307 and 308 cars; the latter currently contains the Victoria Line signalling display which will be moved to a more permanent home at the CVR in the future to allow the interior restoration of that vehicle. Joining these vehicles is RSH Bo-Bo battery electric locomotive Heysham No. 1 ‘DOUG TOTTMAN’.

Both the Liverpool Overhead Trailer Car 7 and the body of the 1903 City & South London Railway Car are to be moved to storage. The remains of the steel C&SLR car is available to anyone this wants it as surplus to requiremnts.

That leaves...

The APT power car which is part of the national collection is currently under negotiations for a new home.
Experimental wagon HSFV1 is likewise under negotiations so watch this space, it has yet to be signed off so this can’t be announced yet.
4wd Battery Electric loco EE905 Spondon No.1 has offers under consideration
2-EPB unit 6307 is awaiting confirmation of new owners and the 501 unit is awaiting agreement on a new site currently under negotiations.

And that is everything....

Some items still need your help getting funded to move to these locations, the crowdfunding page is still open at:
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/savethetrains

Many thanks for reading.

Many thanks for the posting. Its great to see homes found for so many exhibits.

Please can you keep us updated about the 2EPB.

VEP3417

"The 4-SUB and class 503 unit along with the spare 4-EPB TSO will be moving to secure, safe storage in the south of England. Both units will be the subject of much needed long term restoration projects and more details will be made available in due course by the owning organisation"

by far my one of my favourites due to its rarity, nice to hear its coming down south. keep us updates :)

M28361M

Does this mean the 503 has a new owner or is it still owned by SERA?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I see the fundraising appeal is for the SERA units. Is there already finance in place for the movement of the vehicles owned by ERM (the charity), which appear to be the 307/308/309s or are donations needed for those too?

SERA01UK

I see the fundraising appeal is for the SERA units. Is there already finance in place for the movement of the vehicles owned by ERM (the charity), which appear to be the 307/308/309s or are donations needed for those too?

There is finance in place for most stock moves but not all, anyone wanting to help out get the ERM toward its final site clearance bill can make a donation by PayPal to:
[email protected]

Roast Veg

Established Member
A cursory search suggests that the website belongs to the AM EMU Association, who also own the BDTBSO of a class 307, but their website is currently down. It also seems like they were looking to fund the preservation of a class 312 at some point based on a cached reference to one of their subdomains. They also seem to be tied in some way to the "AC EMU Group", who do not have any public presence beyond 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.