• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry to Birmingham - infrastructure change or the onset of senility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
When I was a teenager in the mid-80s I spent a lot of time going up and down between Coventry and Birmingham.

I did it this afternoon for the first time in probably 25 years and found an awful lot has changed.

For a start, the level crossings at Canley and Tile Hill have been replaced with bridges / road realignment, and the approaches to Birmingham seem not too dissimilar from a railway point of view, but everything else looks shiny and new. And of course HS2 work is going on.

The stub siding at Berkswell is also no more. We were told as kids that sometimes the royal train stopped there overnight. Who knows, but we were impressed

But something is baffling me. I remember - or at least I think I remember - there was a short loop on the down side in between Tile Hill and the tunnel. No sign of it today though, and no real evidence it was ever there.

So:

- am I dreaming, or was it once there and then removed?

- if so, roughly when?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The Tile Hill loop was very short and really lost its usefulness once Birmingham International was built in the 1970s with higher entry and exit speeds and a generally 'spare' platform in the Down direction at the time..

It wasn't uncommon to see freights looped at International in the Down direction.

I think that you can still see where a few masts were set back just beyond Tile Hill but the whole point is, it was only a few for such a short facility.

I recall that it lingered on to some extent until the West Coast upgrade got under way.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Tile Hill Down loop was removed in around 2006/7 or so. Possibly as a precursor to Coventry resignalling that happened in Sunmer 2007.

MarkWi72

My father ruptured his bladder at Berkswell in 1982. I recall the date as the World Cup was on at the time. the cause was railway photography. We were stopped at the crossing, and we'd been on a day out to Coventry (I think) and he always took his camera. It was on the back seat, so he got out of the car, grabbed his camera and raced along the wooden planked walkway , which led to the platform. It had been raining and he fell heavily on his back and spent three days in Dudley Guest Hospital. He got the photo, mind.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Confirming that Tile Hill loop went when Coventry was reisgnalled, and the 3 level crossings (Canley, Tile Hill, Berkswell) were removed a year or two before that.

Berkswell siding is, technically, still there. It’s in the signalling system, but out of use. It may be being (has been?) removed for HS2 which crosses the line there.

I have actually been in Tile Hill loop on a service train in 1993. On a stopper looped for a late running InterCity. A rare occurrence, even then. The longer masts are still visible, you can see them on aerial views of mapping apps, starting a couple of masts west of Tile Hill station itself.

Ken H

On Moderation
I think I have been in the tile hill loop in the 90's
further west, does anyone remember the electrified down loop through Adderley Park stn? Think freight only and the down platform was a one sided island. Must have been lifted about 1988 ish. They rebuilt the station to have step free after that.

SteveM70

Established Member
The stub at Berkswell used to originally go to Kenilworth and joined the Cov - Leamington line.

Indeed. Part of my schools cross country course used the trackbed on the outskirts of Kenilworth

further west, does anyone remember the electrified down loop through Adderley Park stn? Think freight only and the down platform was a one sided island. Must have been lifted about 1988 ish. They rebuilt the station to have step free after that.

Yes! Had completely forgotten about that but I do recall it

The Planner

Veteran Member
Berkswell siding is, technically, still there. It’s in the signalling system, but out of use. It may be being (has been?) removed for HS2 which crosses the line there.
The stub is still there, there is talk about bringing it back in to use temporarily for HS2 materials.

CHA 81C

I think the Adderley Park loop was where some trains stopped for ticket checks when New St was an open station. Vauxhall & Duddeston would have been similar, but with ordinary island platforms. Maybe someone even older than me can confirm that.

SteveM70

Established Member
The stub is still there, there is talk about bringing it back in to use temporarily for HS2 materials.

If it is there, it’s a lot shorter than it was in the 80s. I’ve just checked google maps and it looks to be maybe 75 yards or so, parallel to the main line. 30 years ago I’m sure the siding was longer and curved away following the line of the Kenilworth branch

Geezertronic

Established Member
For a start, the level crossings at Canley and Tile Hill have been replaced with bridges / road realignment...

And Berkswell which has been replaced with a larger traffic light controlled underpass to the right (if coming from Balsall Common)

Geezertronic

Established Member
Large? I've driven under that, its about 7 foot high!

I meant larger than the one that was there when the crossing was in use :) I believe they made it larger (additional height, and width to allow for a pedestrian path) as part of the closing of the crossing. I also believe they also installed a height notification system for vehicles coming close to the location so over-height vehicles can be reminded of the fact and don't hit the bridge

james60059

There was a loop at Tile Hill, I use to spot in the car park in the early 1990's, down where a signal was with a junction indicator, and one occasion a local service (Class 310?) was looped after the Tile Hill stop to allow an Intercity service to pass. Sadly I lost all of my early spotting notes many years ago :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.