• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry to Canterbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMcFall

I'll be going to canterbury on the weekend of the 30th, leaving the 29th, coming back the first. think i'm going to east station, depends where friend wants to meet.

I've managed to get it down to 38.60 with a YPRC (that i still need to buy :( )
with a journey of COV>EUS>STP>CBE.

Any way i could end up splitting it? :)

Cheers, Chris.

:)X

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
I can't see it being cheaper unfortunately. You can't split at London because the London-Canterbury price ends up being higher than from Coventry.

The good thing about the £38.60 ticket is that it is valid any time (assuming you get the railcard), includes a cross London transfer (tube) and allows you to go on the new "high speed" train from London-Canterbury.

Your ticket would be issued to 'Canterbury Stations' allowing you to go to/from either East or West, depending on what suits you.

Not sure whether you're fussed or not, but for an extra £2 or so, you can carry on up the line to Dover.

ChrisMcFall

Ah cool- Yeah i think im all good as long as i leave cov after a certian time, its in time for the 90 though :D
Yeah I was wondering about the HS1 stuff, how often would a 395 go to canterbury, or would I have to change at ashford?

First class

Established Member
Ah cool- Yeah i think im all good as long as i leave cov after a certian time, its in time for the 90 though :D
Yeah I was wondering about the HS1 stuff, how often would a 395 go to canterbury, or would I have to change at ashford?

You can leave at any time, even in the peak with the 'off-peak ticket'.

2) Holders of 16-25, Senior,
Disabled Persons, HM Forces
and Family & Friends Railcards
, New Deal Photocards and
Inter-Rail (Code 70) Cards
travelling with Off-Peak
tickets may use ANY Virgin
train service, as long as the
journey being made is priced
by Virgin Trains. If the
journey is not priced by
Virgin Trains then the stated
Off-Peak restrictions apply.

So basically, as long as the journey is 'priced' by Virgin, which Coventry-Canterbury is- you can use the 'off-peak' ticket in the peak time!

Southern

12 & 42 from St Pancras, the 12 requires a change at Ashford. If your travelling between 5 - 7pm, they change to every half hour at 10 & 40, rear 6 carriages for Canterbury.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a good value ticket.

Put it this way, a return ticket that allows peak time travel from London to Canterbury alone (including High Speed) returning a different day, is only £1.10 less than you are paying (I know in reality you'd not use the London to Canterbury bit at peak time, but still...).

And you get a cross-London transfer included, although for Euston to St Pancras it's probably not worth the hassle! In fact using side entrances and Phoenix Road, I reckon it's down to approx 750 metres now (entrance to entrance).

Status
Not open for further replies.