• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry to Haymarket; weekend of 12/13 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle

Established Member
I'm almost certainly going to be visiting a certain someone in Edinburgh weekend after next. And as you can imagine I want as much time up there as possible :D

So with this in mind, I want a return with railcard (advances are fine) from Coventry to Haymarket on the weekend of 12/13 November. I can't get to Coventry station before 08.30 on the Saturday, but otherwise would prefer as much time as possible. I can find the following:

• On the Saturday, leaving Coventry at 09.42 and arriving Haymarket at 14.16, advance costs £26.40
  • On the Sunday, leaving Haymarket at 18.57 and arriving Coventry at 23.20, advance costs £32.35
  • Total: £58.75

Can you beat this?

(Disclaimer: I'm not going to be able to confirm till tomorrow or the day after so I'm hoping the cheap advances will stick around for 24 hours or so...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Naughty weekend? :-P

Wouldn't you prefer to come back Monday morning? The Off-Peak Return is unrestricted after 0500 and comes in at £73.15 only.

Eagle

Established Member
Wouldn't you prefer to come back Monday morning? The Off-Peak Return is unrestricted after 0500 and comes in at £73.15 only.

9am lecture on Monday. Boo.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why Haymarket?

I'm getting a lift and Haymarket's more conveniently sited for that.

Also it reduces my journey time by 7 minutes each way :D

scotsman

Established Member
9am lecture on Monday. Boo.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'm getting a lift and Haymarket's more conveniently sited for that.

Also it reduces my journey time by 7 minutes each way :D

Nup. 4 each way. 5 if you're unlcuky.

SS4

Established Member
09:42 COV-PRE = £10.55 (a 1151)
11:53 PRE - HYM = £11.90 (a 1416)

18:57 HYM - PRE = £14.85 (a 2115)
21:17 PRE- COV = £13.85 (a 2320)

Total = £51.15

Although they appear to be tight connections they should be the same train (I'll eat my hat if they're not)

Eagle

Established Member
Although they appear to be tight connections they should be the same train (I'll eat my hat if they're not)

They are clearly through trains, because they're the services I specified in the OP (besides, I'm not sure the WCML can cope with two-minute headways between IC services just now...) :P

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can't do any better with APs.

You can get a cheaper flexible ticket though. The Off-Peak Return from Rugby is only £68 and unrestricted after 0415. Valid via Coventry clearly. Whether the additional £10 is worth it as insurance in case you miss your booked train is up to you.

Edit: Now it looks like £17 rather than £10.

Eagle

Established Member
I've booked the split at Preston. It seems the reason only these trains had cheap advances left is they were Pendolinos (and I've managed to get declassified first class reservations for both halves on the way up :D—and the way down is a through service so all kinds of win).

Status
Not open for further replies.