• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry To Kingston

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMcFall

Hey all. I'm off to Kingston tomorrow, and will probably be leaving Cov at around 9:30>10am or so. Can I just confirm I can travel on the peak train with an off peak ticket thanks to my railcard?

Would the ticket machines sell the off peak ticket at that time of day, or would I need to ask for it from the office?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Afraid not, that easement changed and now it's only valid on services which wholly use Virgin.

You can get still get an off peak ticket to Euston and, afaik, then excess it to Kingston at Euston ;)

ChrisMcFall

Ah right! Would that make it the same cost as what I was looking at before then? Where do I go for excess fares in Euston?

calc7

Established Member
Haven't had a look at prices but it may work out easier just to buy a 1-6 off-peak travelcard (or use Oyster if you have one).

The islander

An Off Peak one day Travelcard from Coventry is £31.00 adult on London Midland trains which allows to use the 0821 from Coventry or later. But London Midland are slower. Info from London Midland website.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Haven't had a look at prices but it may work out easier just to buy a 1-6 off-peak travelcard (or use Oyster if you have one).

Coventry - London Zones 1-6
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
£31.30

is indeed cheaper than

Coventry - Kingston
Route +Any Permitted
Off-Peak Return
£31.60

however the former is not an eligible fare for the railcard concession on Virgin either.

Nevertheless the travelcard is valid on the 1031 Virgin service to London Euston, arriving 1132, if that is not too late.

Strictly speaking only an Off-Peak Return to London Terminals (£28.80) is eligible for the concession with Virgin under revised rules. How consistently this is enforced varies.

I advise getting the London Terminals ticket and pay for the journey between Euston and Kingston separately using Oyster PAYG. If you load your railcard onto Oyster (instructions here), you get 1/3 off Off-Peak fares, which between Euston (Underground) and Kingston is £2.85 each way when changing between Victoria Line and South West Trains at Vauxhall. The fare is £3.05 each way if interchanging at Waterloo.

benk1342

I advise getting the London Terminals ticket and pay for the journey between Euston and Kingston separately using Oyster PAYG. If you load your railcard onto Oyster (instructions here), you get 1/3 off Off-Peak fares, which between Euston (Underground) and Kingston is £2.85 each way when changing between Victoria Line and South West Trains at Vauxhall. The fare is £3.05 each way if interchanging at Waterloo.

Or get the London Terminals ticket and then get a separate in-boundary railcard-discounted off-peak 1-6 travelcard for £5.60. They should be able to sell this to you in Coventry (they can just do Finsbury Park - London Zones 1-6 or something similar).

Norman

Afraid not, that easement changed and now it's only valid on services which wholly use Virgin.

You can get still get an off peak ticket to Euston and, afaik, then excess it to Kingston at Euston ;)

Surely you cannot excess a ticket when the orginal journey has been completed?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Or get the London Terminals ticket and then get a separate in-boundary railcard-discounted off-peak 1-6 travelcard for £5.60. They should be able to sell this to you in Coventry (they can just do Finsbury Park - London Zones 1-6 or something similar).

That is also an idea, however a railcard-discounted Off-Peak daily cap will be the same.

Surely you cannot excess a ticket when the orginal journey has been completed?

This is not documented anywhere, however many staff do believe that is the case.

I do not recommend the Excess route, not in this case at least, and the OP should take note of what I said in the PM I sent last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.