• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

COVID-19, balancing one restriction against another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWW

Established Member
Try the BBC News website, where it covers the daily papers. Pop down to the supermarket, in your hazmat suit and long distance grabber tongs and read the dailies. The headlines of course differ from the actual meat of the story, but it grabbed your attention and you can be sold as a reader to the advertisers.

OK having had a quick trawl of on-line newspapers, almost (but not all) were reporting this as extending shielding to some over 50, with some headlines being more misleading than others.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I see the press is saying that in an attempt to ward off a second wave, if there ever was going to be a second, they are thinking of asking ALL THOSE 50 and OVER to stay at home ! They do realise that half the public transport system will close ! There are a fair few people over 50 thhat work on Trains, Buses etc.

Have you got an actual link, please

AdamWW

Established Member

greyman42

Established Member
If the over 50s were told to stay at home, the large majority would totally ignore the request so what's the point.

carlberry

Established Member
OK having had a quick trawl of on-line newspapers, almost (but not all) were reporting this as extending shielding to some over 50, with some headlines being more misleading than others.
Are you suggesting that the wonderful British press might be slightly overegging a story, especially if it involes the demographic that still actually buy papers!!!

AdamWW

Established Member
Are you suggesting that the wonderful British press might be slightly overegging a story, especially if it involes the demographic that still actually buy papers!!!

I think this might be an example of a headline designed to draw attention - which of course is what they are for.

duncanp

Established Member
If the over 50s were told to stay at home, the large majority would totally ignore the request so what's the point.

But telling all the over 50's to stay at home and shield themseves, and cut themselves off from the rest of the world, would include Boris Johnson, so perhaps there is some benefit in this recommendation. <D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think it could be worth continuing working from home for longer, to get the schools back.

But that wouldn't appeal to the puritanical wing of society as much as shutting pubs/restaurants etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it could be worth continuing working from home for longer, to get the schools back.

But that wouldn't appeal to the puritanical wing of society as much as shutting pubs/restaurants etc.

Or the Police who have no doubt been having an easy time with no alcohol related violence to deal with! :)

duncanp

Established Member
Or the Police who have no doubt been having an easy time with no alcohol related violence to deal with! :)

I think there was an increase in domestic violence during the strictest period of the lockdown, due in part to people drinking more booze at home because the pubs were closed, and also because of the stress of being copped up at home for 24 hours a day.

But I suppose as domestic violence is largely behind closed doors, it is easy to look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist, whereas you can't do that with a punch up at the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.