• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

COVID 19 - Brexit Implications

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
Given what 2020 will turn out as, I bet most of the electorate honestly won't care less whether Brexit happens or not by the end of the year. Or even at all.

Will put 4 years of national childish squabbling in some real, much needed perspective.

Indeed, many people whether Remainers or Leavers probably just want Coronavirus contained and reasonable relations with Europe. For many non-political people the term "transition period" means little anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Boris was elected on a swashbuckling "Get Brexit Done" slogan.

Now Covid has severely put the brakes on pretty much whatever plans he had, and he is likely to be considerably politically damaged (so much so him serving not all 5 years seems a reasonable possibility), whatever we get of Brexit will be a quiet whimpering over the line whenever it happens. Nobody is going to want to be shouting about it when the country is still recovering from Covid. ("What's the use in leaving the EU if I don't have a job?")

The generally poor reaction of the UK to Covid also doesn't lend itself to a particularly strong negotiating position, as our economic recovery looks likely to be behind the curve of EU countires.

A perfect storm.

dosxuk

Established Member
If the UK does have to ask for an extension for Brexit, then it is up to the EU whether it agrees or not. Who is then holding the power?

I see what you're trying to imply, bit it works both ways. If the EU want an extension, it's up to us whether we agree or not. Who is then holding the power?

It's almost like it's a negotiation.

Clayton

On Moderation

Now Covid has severely put the brakes on pretty much whatever plans he had, and he is likely to be considerably politically damaged (so much so him serving not all 5 years seems a reasonable possibility), whatever we get of Brexit will be a quiet whimpering over the line whenever it happens. Nobody is going to want to be shouting about it when the country is still recovering from Covid. ("What's the use in leaving the EU if I don't have a job?")

The generally poor reaction of the UK to Covid also doesn't lend itself to a particularly strong negotiating position, as our economic recovery looks likely to be behind the curve of EU countires.

A perfect storm.
Indeed. It’s certainly a ridiculous time to be leaving the cooperation and mutual aid of a group of generally more advanced and better governed countries.

SuperNova

A perfect storm.

Furthermore, it seems that 4 years of pointless internal squabbling within the Tory party about what Brexit suits what faction has led the to unpreparedness.

Bar the ardent cultists on either side, would this country really care if we sacked it off and got on with fighting the pandemic and recovering from it? I think not.

bramling

Veteran Member

A perfect storm.

I do think Boris is going to emerge from this wounded. Right now he seems to be pleasing no one - for example just this weekend the mixed messaging seems to have opened up a new front with the police.

However I’m not sure the EU emerges from this particularly well either. Can anyone readily think of anything they’ve actually done to contribute to the situation?

I’d certainly be agreeable to an extension of the transition period for a year however, as 2020 is looking like to be a near total write-off in so many ways.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
However I’m not sure the EU emerges from this particularly well either. Can anyone readily think of anything they’ve actually done to contribute to the situation?

The EU did make sure that medical resources were 'pooled' within member states (the e-mail that apparently and conveniently went in the UK's Spam folder)

Other than that, it seems to generally have left members to act as sovereign states and make decisions that suit their own individual best interests.

Dunfanaghy Rd

Last I heard, no country had actually seen any help from the EU. Quelle surprise! I read today that while our press is beating up HMG and the NHS about death rates in comparison with Italy, what they are not telling us is that Italian (and Spanish) figures do not includes care homes and deaths at home. Ours are inclusive. That London shower do like to rubbish this country at every opportunity. (It's all the fault of those of us who won't vote the way they want. How dare we!)
Pat

alex397

Established Member
I’d certainly be agreeable to an extension of the transition period for a year however, as 2020 is looking like to be a near total write-off in so many ways.

I'd imagine the hard Brexiteers will have a hissy fit at the mere mention of an extension, regardless of the potential damage to the economy.

I accept we are leaving the EU, but we can't rush such a big decision. Surely we now want to have a Brexit that benefits us, and to do that it needs to be done carefully with good planning, and if that means an extension than thats what should be considered. Especially as a lot of work will need to be done to help the economy post-Corona. People who say "we need to just leave" are clueless about how life works.

Qwerty133

Established Member
The EU did make sure that medical resources were 'pooled' within member states (the e-mail that apparently and conveniently went in the UK's Spam folder)

Other than that, it seems to generally have left members to act as sovereign states and make decisions that suit their own individual best interests.
You mean the project that delivered zero products?
They were too busy deciding which countries deserved to procured products to actually bother procuring any.

To me a 12 month extension makes sense, but I fear the hardline Tories will use COVID as a means of forcing through "no deal" by default.
I don't think there is any chance of an extension the hard line Tories wont allow it, it always strikes me that the deal that Boris has with his right wing gang, is you can do what you like as long as you deliver Brexit, and a hard line Brexit at that, and of course as you say the hard line Tories don't care about no deal its what they want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.